Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Has anyone else experienced a build up of pressure in the fuel tank and when you pop the lid to fill it up, you hear the sound of pressure equalization?

Is it normal? From my memory it was when I filled it up, wen't for a long ride and then opened it again when it was close to empty.

Cheers all
Sean

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Even if my bike did do it, I'd probably never hear it because I normally don't take off my helmet when I fuel up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've heard it before, and the dealer actually went as far as to inform me of popping the cap after riding hard to allow the pressure to equalize. This is also allegedly part of the culprit for the failure to start issue. In that thread they did say to make sure to never overfill the tank and always release the pressure as the "may" lead to some sort of vapor lock making it hard to start. Hope that makes some sort of sense haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard it before, and the dealer actually went as far as to inform me of popping the cap after riding hard to allow the pressure to equalize. This is also allegedly part of the culprit for the failure to start issue. In that thread they did say to make sure to never overfill the tank and always release the pressure as the "may" lead to some sort of vapor lock making it hard to start. Hope that makes some sort of sense haha
Makes perfect sense! thanks a heap - jesus you'd think in this day and age they could work that out? :p

·
Registered
892 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a build up of pressure in the fuel tank and when you pop the lid to fill it up, you hear the sound of pressure equalization?
Just to clarify, when you say build up of pressure, you mean that its gas vapors are trying to escape right? In theory, the EVAP system is supposed to take care of positive pressure for the most part (while engine's running). If you haven't deleted the evap canister, I don't see positive pressure being a problem.

I've only ever had negative pressure (vacuum), where as I'm trying to open the gas cap, air is getting sucked into the gas tank. This happens usually after riding for some time, then letting my bike cool down, then opening gas cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts