Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted my intro and now onto the real news!

Took the Paginale out for a night ride and parked it around 9pm on Monday Aug 8th. Woke up on Tuesday with a smile on my face and headed down to the parking garage to commute to work.

Low and behold I see the biggest space thats ever existed where my pride and joy once stood. I wanted to believe that maybe it was towed but deep inside I knew what really happened.

I had to wait a few hours until my leasing office opened as I discovered from Anaheim PD that my bike was so new that the VIN number wasn't even in their system yet as registered thus I couldn't see if it had been towed.

Later, it was confirmed by my leasing office that no motorcycle had been towed that night.

I travel down to Anaheim PD to report the bike stolen to find out that it had been found and impounded by Garden Grove PD in the next town over. Found inside a communal laundry mat of a low income apartment complex a few miles away.

On Wednesday I finally got eyes on the bike to assess what they did to it.

The bike was locked so they did some damage in the steering column area, broke off a mirror, scratched almost all the farings, tank was damaged, turn signals broken, seat torn off, and battery disconnected.

I have pictures of the suspected Truck that came in. Definitely pre planned as in the video it shows the truck going directly to my bike 2 floors underground. I also found some fingerprints on the bike. Hopefully I can catch these guys.

My apartment is controlled access and not secured per the property manager. In any case complacency got the best of me and I will be investing in deterrents and maybe a GPS.

One thing I cannot figure out is why they took the bike in the first place. They damaged all the parts they could sell easily, they never got the bike turned on based on mileage, and then dumped it. Very odd.

TLDR: Bike was stolen then recovered damaged same day.

ON TO THE PICTURES! Viewer beware. (Sorry for the crap pics, it was the last thing on my mind as I died inside)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
That's insane! Sorry to hear about all this. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sorry to hear/see what happened to your new bike.

What's your plan moving forward?

As a side note: in your first pic, did the dealer put the fork reflectors on the fairings?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That just makes me sick. You live in my area and I feel for you. I hope they find the aholes that stole it. Unfortunately, in Cali, with Prop 47 passing, they won't get punished with prison but will receive probation.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That just makes me sick. You live in my area and I feel for you. I hope they find the aholes that stole it. Unfortunately, in Cali, with Prop 47 passing, they won't get punished with prison but will receive probation.

Wait... what? Grand theft auto is a felony. Prop 47 classifies petty theft to a misdemeanor. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Wait... what? Grand theft auto is a felony. Prop 47 classifies petty theft to a misdemeanor. Am I missing something?
I did a quick google search out of curiosity too. I think it said something about under $950. But his damage was clearly higher than that and a 959 is worth way more. So, I'd hope that they'd get a felony. But who knows.

Sorry to hear about this. It must be extremely frustrating! I don't know if this is any consolation, but it might make sense to do mods at this time (like block off turn signals and fender eliminators) since you would have to pay to bring those areas back to stock. Again, sorry for the loss and frustration that you must be feeling. I don't know if there's any solid solution for security when you park in a parking garage. I assume that you never had any problems with your previous bike being parked there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

My plan moving forward will be to at least acquire some deterrents as I mentioned. I'm thinking disk locks and a heavy duty chain. I'm working with my property manager to find a suitable place for me to anchor the bike to.

Another option I might be pursuing is a GPS system, I just hear too many conflicting reviews to decide on one:frown2:

For the fork reflectors, they were originally in the correct place but somehow got moved in whatever chaos ensued after the criminals stole the bike.

I live in Anaheim Near disney and apparently a lot of the "luxury" apartments are getting hit with high frequency. They are stealing bikes, wheels, items from vehicles, basically whatever they can get their hands on.

I wish I could give them some swift vigilante justice! I'm not too confident in the justice system at this point to get anything done, the investigator hasn't even called me back with my findings (fingerprints, video).

Yeah I've already been in talks with SoCal Brea Ducati on getting me some aftermarket goodies for the parts that were damaged! Trying to get something out of this nightmare!

My triumph was parked in the same spot right next to my truck for a year and only a week for the paginale to catch someones attention.

THE BIKE IS SO SEXY, I'm not surprised it caught attention. Like I said before, I just don't understand why they took it.

I appreciate the sympathy from everyone! Im trying to stay positive and at least its not my primary form of transportation. I still have my f150 to get me around. I'm just in love with this bike! It's been my dream to have one since I've been 16 so when they stole it, it hit pretty hard.

Just a reminder to never get to complacent, getting my bike stolen seemed unlikely to happen to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[email protected] thieves!! Scum. Good luck with your deterrents!

I installed a garage motor for my lockup garage in an apartment, which itself is in a larger secure underground car park. The week after, some thieves broke into the communal area and tried to break into my garage. I only noticed a few weeks later because the key-release was mangled. They failed! Got into someone else's though and took some stuff. Total scum.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts

I installed a garage motor for my lockup garage in an apartment, which itself is in a larger secure underground car park. The week after, some thieves broke into the communal area and tried to break into my garage. I only noticed a few weeks later because the key-release was mangled. They failed! Got into someone else's though and took some stuff. Total scum.
Do you have pictures of this setup? It sounds pretty interesting, but it's hard to picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I would also being interested in seeing this set up. It sounds like you have a garage within a garage! Is this something you can buy and install?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Was looking into the Scorpio Ride-S GPS unit for $359 and the website is offering a free Sensor upgrade with remote and perimeter alarm with coupon code. You can add wireless pressure sensors for $99. Seriously considering it for one or both bikes...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ouch, feel sorry that that happened. Hope you can find a good theft deterrent. Sadly its just that, a deterrent, because there is always an idiot that will try anyway.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was looking into the Scorpio Ride-S GPS unit for $359 and the website is offering a free Sensor upgrade with remote and perimeter alarm with coupon code. You can add wireless pressure sensors for $99. Seriously considering it for one or both bikes...
Hey sinjin. I was looking into the Scorpio system as well. Saw some reviews that were a little concerning regarding the drain it puts on the battery. One person even said it caused a small fire. Considering the hard start these bikes have I'm leaning more towards this system GPS Motorcycle Tracking - Motorcycle Alarm System - Motorcycle Security System. It's a little more pricey upfront but it appears to be pretty good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had two Honda CBRs stolen from the same parking garage. No security cameras. The first was uninsured. Second one was stolen less than a year later probably by the same punks. This time it was fork-locked, covered and chained to the wall with a heavy logging chain. A witness saw them riding away on it. Neither recovered. So I'm out about $13,000 total from theft. I didn't get full value for second one. At least you got it back.

The only real deterrent is to put it in a garage or inside your apartment if possible. They will return for it again . I broke my lease and moved after the second one was stolen. It's in a garage now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And of course no arrests were made. The detective said it's probably in central or south america now. They steal them , put them in cargo containers and off they go.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've had two Honda CBRs stolen from the same parking garage. No security cameras. The first was uninsured. Second one was stolen less than a year later probably by the same punks. This time it was fork-locked, covered and chained to the wall with a heavy logging chain. A witness saw them riding away on it. Neither recovered. So I'm out about $13,000 total from theft. I didn't get full value for second one. At least you got it back.

The only real deterrent is to put it in a garage or inside your apartment if possible. They will return for it again . I broke my lease and moved after the second one was stolen. It's in a garage now.
What was your insurance's reasoning for not fully covering the second one?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
...They steal them , put them in cargo containers and off they go.
goes to show how well the system is monitored when all items and contents are itemized in a container before it's allowed to be loaded on a ship...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts