Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. The forum seems dead these days. Sad. Let’s see if there’s anyone out there.

Some thoughts and questions on tires...

1. I have about 2,600 on my 2016 959 with original tires. The tread is great, I notice no unusual behavior when riding. All street, no track. The dealer saw the bike in October and didn’t mention anything about poor tire condition. But yesterday I checked the manufacture date and “2115” means the tires are exactly 5 years old. Should I replace them based solely on age?

2. Whenever I replace them, I’m going to replace with the Rosso III. Florida sadly has very straight roads and since I don’t track the bike and never approach the limits of the OEM tire, which is more aggressive, I’m going to take the Rosso III for better centerline wear on straight roads. I know this tire is not calibrated to the traction control and other electronics but since I never ride that hard, I’m not concerned.

3. Would you ever take your Panigale to a Japanese bike shop to mount and balance the new tires? Or to a shop that just works on bikes generally and doesn’t specialize in a particular brand? My local Ducati dealer is far away. I can make the Duc dealer happen but it’s just a bit of a pain.

4. I would prefer to save money by buying the tires online and bringing them to the dealer. Dealers up-charge on tires for no good reason, as far as I can understand. Any thoughts on just having the dealer mount and balance the tires but not buying them from the dealer?

Stay healthy, all.
-Curly

·
Registered
37 Posts
The age of a tire is less of an issue nowadays, 5 years is nothing to worry about. Rosso III are great tires, I would've gone with those if I hadn't gotten a good deal on the Corsa 2's. Any reputable shop can mount and balance tires. Dealers/Shops up-charge tires because they need to make money and there is very little to be made unless they order large volumes of tires, I've compared prices between the internet and my dealer and they are pretty close, I believe it was less $20.00 difference for my set and it saved my having to make a separate trip to bring the tires. If you get to know your service manager you might find that they will work with you on prices. These bikes aren't unicorns, most shops can work on them, but for things like the Desmo service I'd say it would still be best to bring it to a certified Ducati shop, which can be an independent or a dealer.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Having lived in Ft Lauderdale for more than 5 years, I would say YES to Question #1. The dry rot I've seen from tires in that span of time was ridiculous. Of course that's vehicles that are not garage kept. I would get 2 years out of the Michelins on my Acura TL at the time. I feel you should support your local Ducati dealer, however far away they are from you. You're ensured Ducati warranty should anything they've worked on goes wrong, and they might have a free pick up service if you service your bike there. Saving $20 compared to having to bring the tires to them is not worth the hassle IMO, and goes a long way in the eyes of the Service Dept if they're nice guys.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

The bike has always been kept indoors.

And I contacted the local dealer, 70mi away from me, and they said they’ll price match on tires. So I’m not too worried. When the time comes, I’ll have them do everything.

I‘m still unsure whether the bike absolutely requires tires now or not but... tbd.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
They don't look too bad and given that the bike is kept out of the environment, I would wait a bit. Moreover, you don't ride that much and you should be good for the season.
Notwithstanding, I would buy a new set now to have on hand for when you do need them.
Supply is getting low, especially Pirelli's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts