Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Motacc handlebar kit on my bike. Now I'm sitting more upright and getting more wind blast. Do the DP racing or other after-market racing-specific windscreens create more wind noise that comes off the screen itself? I am very sensitive to wind noise coming off screens and would rather deal with the wind blast than a much louder screen. I have a nice Schuberth S2 helmet so even with natural wind blast, it's still pretty quiet. However, windscreen noise, for me, is an entirely different beast, and I can't stand it. Stock screen seems pretty quiet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Zero gravity offers a sport touring windscreen for the Panigale.
Windscreen Innovators - Zero Gravity

Don't know about noise from the screen but I use ear plugs as shown and they work.
The Panigale would be hard on the ears if used for touring. No sarc intended.

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your set-up as this is a new topic as far as I know..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Yes, earplugs are your friends! I have used both the Zero Gravity Double Bubble and the Puig Racing screens. I have not noticed any excessive wind noise with either, but then I always wear earplugs. I currently have the Puig model on my 959 & 1199 which I prefer over the ZG DB.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't wear earplugs - and there's no noise nicer than hearing that engine at 10K RPM, to he!! with the wind!!!

I have the ZG Marc 1 installed

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't wear earplugs - and there's no noise nicer than hearing that engine at 10K RPM, to he!! with the wind!!! I have the ZG Marc 1 installed
This reminds me of the upcoming Easter on the 16th!

Attachments

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
439 Posts
I wear Etymotic Research ear plugs, which are filtered, so they let in the whole frequency range, but in at unmuffled, lower level.

As for the screens, I have tinted double bubble, ZG on the Panigale and MRA on the RR. The ZG is fine, but I understand that the MRA is marketed to be slightly thicker and more resilient to wind and debris. I chose the DB because of my folding mirrors, however you could go with the race with any brand without issues.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
@sinjin - Etymotic are one of the best for live performances, I had several sets of earbuds for traveling - I didn't know they made simple plugs

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I have two sets of basic ear plugs that are poured to fit. I forget the brand, but they had a booth a few years in a row at the Motor Gp in Indy. They were like $60 a pair.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I owned a set of Etymotic headphones that were around the $300 mark. They lasted about 10 years and were truly crystal clear compared to anything available at the time. I have some Martin Logan electrostatic speakers that pick up the subtlest noises in recordings and these were able to duplicate a lot of the same sounds... at the very beginning of Toto - Africa, someone is laughing in the studio as the drums begin. It is rare that you find many speakers or headphones that can reproduce it.

They make some high end active plugs, but am leaning towards getting a set of fitted 'poured' protective plugs as indicated. Our riding group evidently has a discount with a reputable outfit that I need to investigate.

I have pretty much transitioned to riding with my Pista instead of the Corsa and it is much louder... in fact the helmet comes from AGV with ear plugs.

The MRA windscreen is no substitute for a good set of hearing protection, but it is likely one of the more resilient screens out there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you google 'motacc and panigale' you'll see my handlebar setup. Motacc is the only company right now that offers the complete package. If you want to know more about it, just ask... It's totally plug and play. But anyways, I guess the gist of the original questions was this: is the DP race screen, or any other aftermarket race screen with that similar shape, just as aerodynamic as the original screen? For example, I've ridden other motorcycles with factory windscreens, where, the windscreens look aerodynamic, but you can here the wind just harshly deflect off of it at any speeds above 30mph, and even with ear plugs, it's a total nuisance. On the other hand, the 959 original screen, not only looks aerodynamic, but is aerodynamic, and I hear absolutely no wind coming off of it... That being said, I know the DP race screen has a bigger pocket to hide behind at speed, which accomplishes one task, but the screen may not at all be that aerodynamic, where you just hear the wind screeching all off of it and around it... And my ears are really sensitive to that specific type of noise... In all reality, for most racers, it's the lesser of two evils because first and foremost, even if this screen isn't all that aerodynamic, you're creating a lot less drag by the wind no longer hitting your body, so it's infinitely better.. But for me, who's not crouching behind the screen, just looking to take a little more wind off my chest, it's imperative that it be aerodynamic and not create any obnoxious, annoying wind noise.. Is anyone kinda getting to understand where I'm coming from? Obviously the DP Race Screen is aerodynamic to a certain extent... the question is, how much more drag is it creating than the original screen...if any? And how does this translate into wind noise coming off the screen at moderate legal speeds for city and highway?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
@Flowbrook - I think you got the wrong bike if you have a 959 with that Motacc kit installed to sit upright like an enduro! FFS get yourself a Hypermotard!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you google 'motacc and panigale' you'll see my handlebar setup. Motacc is the only company right now that offers the complete package. If you want to know more about it, just ask... It's totally plug and play. But anyways, I guess the gist of the original questions was this: is the DP race screen, or any other aftermarket race screen with that similar shape, just as aerodynamic as the original screen? For example, I've ridden other motorcycles with factory windscreens, where, the windscreens look aerodynamic, but you can here the wind just harshly deflect off of it at any speeds above 30mph, and even with ear plugs, it's a total nuisance. On the other hand, the 959 original screen, not only looks aerodynamic, but is aerodynamic, and I hear absolutely no wind coming off of it... That being said, I know the DP race screen has a bigger pocket to hide behind at speed, which accomplishes one task, but the screen may not at all be that aerodynamic, where you just hear the wind screeching all off of it and around it... And my ears are really sensitive to that specific type of noise... In all reality, for most racers, it's the lesser of two evils because first and foremost, even if this screen isn't all that aerodynamic, you're creating a lot less drag by the wind no longer hitting your body, so it's infinitely better.. But for me, who's not crouching behind the screen, just looking to take a little more wind off my chest, it's imperative that it be aerodynamic and not create any obnoxious, annoying wind noise.. Is anyone kinda getting to understand where I'm coming from? Obviously the DP Race Screen is aerodynamic to a certain extent... the question is, how much more drag is it creating than the original screen...if any? And how does this translate into wind noise coming off the screen at moderate legal speeds for city and highway?
When you put it in this context, then no. The race windscreen is going to be less aerodynamic because it is taller and has more surface area, thus creating a higher coefficient of drag. Also, as you pointed out, it will create a larger (higher volume) pocket around the handlebars which results in stronger vacuum.

Attachments

Reactions: Pard and adrian7

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sinjin. Thanks for that response... Yah, I'm really just nitpicking here... Stock screen is fine... As for riding position, you're not bolt upright, more like a Monster... With the DP Comfort Seat, Ohlins NIX30 and TTX GP valved/sprung for aggressive street, it's a very comfy ride. Having this setup is kinda like the best of both worlds of a combined Panigale/Monster... I'm really enjoying it... That being said, I might be looking into some of those Rizoma Street Pegs just to help out for those longer rides. I still need to get bar ends... Do most people with Panigales find that they need actual bar end weights or that they really aren't all that necessary? And if people do get/want/need bar end weights, how heavy do they really have to be? I believe, from what I read, that stock bar ends weight about 168 grams a piece? Does anyone really know?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I do not know the weight of the stock bar ends, but I don't see a need to change them personally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dougo, thanks for the reply... The new handle bars aren't threaded so I can't use the old ones off the stock 959 clip-ons. (Although I wish I could)... I don't have the experience of going on super long rides yet since I put the new bars on, so I don't know if not having non-weighted bar ends will be annoying or not... Just trying to get the experience of others because I want to get some type of bar end on their ASAP, weighted or not. Just trying to figure out if I would really benefit from it being weighted, and how much weight... I wouldn't want to get non-weighted bar ends (that look cool) and find out the hard way. But I don't want to get 'not so pretty' weighted bar ends if I don't need it. I guess it's personal to everyone. But apparently, and from my experience, Panigale engines are pretty smooth... Though with the new handlebars, I haven't been 'evaluating' vibrations in the bars at every single RPM to diagnose the situation. Maybe someone else has already done that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dougo, thanks for the reply... The new handle bars aren't threaded so I can't use the old ones off the stock 959 clip-ons. (Although I wish I could)... I don't have the experience of going on super long rides yet since I put the new bars on, so I don't know if not having non-weighted bar ends will be annoying or not... Just trying to get the experience of others because I want to get some type of bar end on their ASAP, weighted or not. Just trying to figure out if I would really benefit from it being weighted, and how much weight... I wouldn't want to get non-weighted bar ends (that look cool) and find out the hard way. But I don't want to get 'not so pretty' weighted bar ends if I don't need it. I guess it's personal to everyone. But apparently, and from my experience, Panigale engines are pretty smooth... Though with the new handlebars, I haven't been 'evaluating' vibrations in the bars at every single RPM to diagnose the situation. Maybe someone else has already done that.

I swapped out my stock bar ends for the Rizoma Switch. I haven't noticed any vast increase in vibrations, however that being said, it will likely depend a lot on where you prefer to keep your throttle. My RR hasn't been an issue even after installing the Lightec carbon fiber lever guards as many owners actually replace theirs with heavier HVMP bar end weights. The only time I really notice it is when I track the bike and I am at 11k-14k RPM for extended periods of time. I doubt you will have too many problems touring the 959.

A bigger improvement would be to install the ProGrip 717 grips.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I with ya now! I forgot you had changed out your clip ons. I have a Rizoma front brake lever guard on my 1199 which is not as heavy as a stock bar end, and I don't notice any difference in feel or vibration, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts