Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone can point me to which is a good tune for 959. Also maybe a shop where I can get this done and slip on termignoni installed in Bay Area..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi

Anyone can point me to which is a good tune for 959. Also maybe a shop where I can get this done and slip on termignoni installed in Bay Area..
Motomillion can get you a deal on the RapidBike and look up the number for Bellissimoto here BellissiMoto - 1199 Panigale Parts Index and call them for a quote on the front exit Termignoni.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi

I'm also looking for a shop, unfortunately there isn't a shop that will do it w/o turning your bike into a racebikje (can't ride on the street legally). If you manage to find one, let me know.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm also looking for a shop, unfortunately there isn't a shop that will do it w/o turning your bike into a racebikje (can't ride on the street legally). If you manage to find one, let me know.

Yeah, I was told that Ducati sent a note to their dealer network instructing them to no longer install race exhausts on street legal bikes.

You might need to find an independent shop or attempt to do it yourself. I know that there are several forum members on this and other sites who have installed both so there is a wealth of knowledge out there for anyone wishing to do the work themselves and save some $$$ in the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nuts and bolts thats all it is, if you are not mechanically inclined, take your time, take pictures of how everything was before you took ot off and refer to them when you are going back together, just my .02...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of this. So is the Akra system considered a "race" exhaust? I'm thinking no... It's all part of the Arka's master plan!! Aftermarket exhaust systems have always (for a long time anyways) been labeled as "for competition/race only" "not for road use". Seems this would be taking some service dollars away from the dealers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting, this is the first I've heard of this. So is the Akra system considered a "race" exhaust? I'm thinking no... It's all part of the Arka's master plan!! Aftermarket exhaust systems have always (for a long time anyways) been labeled as "for competition/race only" "not for road use". Seems this would be taking some service dollars away from the dealers.
you don't have to worry because you live outside of CA. We have a regulatory body over here that is very restrictive when it comes to modified parts that change the air fuel ratio of vehicles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
you don't have to worry because you live outside of CA. We have a regulatory body over here that is very restrictive when it comes to modified parts that change the air fuel ratio of vehicles.
This is not the case. The owner of the main Ducati dealer in Texas told a small group recently that they must not install a race exhaust, or one that removes the catalytic converter, on motorcycles that are not designated as track only and arrive on a trailer. If you ride up and plan on riding away after the service, they are not permitted to install it.

This is nationwide and has been confirmed by owners and GMs from other states further north of the panhandle.

It seems that the Harley case where they were fined for creating a device to alter the emissions is trickling down across all the motorcycle brands.

The off road use designation applies to slipons that remove the cats or full systems on those bikes where the cats are located in the midpipe or headers.

It is coming to and end of an era gentlemen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's insane. I'm guessing that you are referring to AMS. Please confirm, I'll be sure they never get a dollar out of me.

This is not the case. The owner of the main Ducati dealer in Texas told a small group recently that they must not install a race exhaust, or one that removes the catalytic converter, on motorcycles that are not designated as track only and arrive on a trailer. If you ride up and plan on riding away after the service, they are not permitted to install it.

This is nationwide and has been confirmed by owners and GMs from other states further north of the panhandle.

It seems that the Harley case where they were fined for creating a device to alter the emissions is trickling down across all the motorcycle brands.

The off road use designation applies to slipons that remove the cats or full systems on those bikes where the cats are located in the midpipe or headers.

It is coming to and end of an era gentlemen.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's insane. I'm guessing that you are referring to AMS. Please confirm, I'll be sure they never get a dollar out of me.
AMS is the star in the eyes of DNA, next to MotoCorsa, after having delivered the first 1299SL in the US.

I hear where you are coming from, but to put it in perspective, it has long been BMWs policy regarding the Race exhaust and HP mapping (their proprietary race maps) that if you purchase the unlock code, you have to sign a waiver agreement at the dealer rescinding your warranty since it is for track purposes only. When I was interested in the upgrade at ECS, I was told sign or no install.

The H2R doesn't come with a warranty despite its $50k price tag and ships without a VIN.

Ducati, by providing slipons without cats and race maps pre installed on the ECU, and the charcoal canister that mysteriously gets removed with ease have historically been the wild red head of the bunch. But Euro measures along with EPA infractions by others are reeling them in. I only hope that it reverses direction by the time the V4 R model comes out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm guessing BMW has a mandate for dealers to get a signed waiver, no such waiver exists for Ducati. My Rapidbike and Front exit race Termis were installed by ECS just a couple of months ago. Also, when that first SL was delivered at AMS do you think they refused to install that Akra that comes with it? It was on the bike sitting in the showroom when I saw it the day before the delivery event.

For them to take it upon themselves to do that is bold and hence why I won't spend a dime there. I don't need to, have ECS right by the house and they do great work.

AMS is the star in the eyes of DNA, next to MotoCorsa, after having delivered the first 1299SL in the US.

I hear where you are coming from, but to put it in perspective, it has long been BMWs policy regarding the Race exhaust and HP mapping (their proprietary race maps) that if you purchase the unlock code, you have to sign a waiver agreement at the dealer rescinding your warranty since it is for track purposes only. When I was interested in the upgrade at ECS, I was told sign or no install.

The H2R doesn't come with a warranty despite its $50k price tag and ships without a VIN.

Ducati, by providing slipons without cats and race maps pre installed on the ECU, and the charcoal canister that mysteriously gets removed with ease have historically been the wild red head of the bunch. But Euro measures along with EPA infractions by others are reeling them in. I only hope that it reverses direction by the time the V4 R model comes out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm guessing BMW has a mandate for dealers to get a signed waiver, no such waiver exists for Ducati. My Rapidbike and Front exit race Termis were installed by ECS just a couple of months ago. Also, when that first SL was delivered at AMS do you think they refused to install that Akra that comes with it? It was on the bike sitting in the showroom when I saw it the day before the delivery event.

For them to take it upon themselves to do that is bold and hence why I won't spend a dime there. I don't need to, have ECS right by the house and they do great work.
This decision was only announced a couple of weeks ago. Again, it is not AMS only but the entire Ducati North America Network of Dealers. It was confirmed by a GM of the Ducati dealer in another state.

I am friends with Brien and will buy my bikes at ECS, but when they installed my radiator guards, they were put on improperly, they couldn't figure out how to put on my lever guards and so I had to do it myself, and my Rizoma rearsets nearly fell off on my ride home after picking it up, so AMS had to tighten and put Loctite on all the bolts.

They are not touching my Ducati period.

I am telling you and everyone else here - this a new mandate by Ducati.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I believe HD got themselves into their situation not because they created the "super tuner" device, but because they sold the device often right off the showroom floor without mentioning that it's a "competition-only" or "offroad" device.

I am telling you and everyone else here - this a new mandate by Ducati.
No manufacturer wants to be in the same position that HD was in last summer (fined $12million USD in August '16). Like @sinjin mentioned about his experience with his S1000RR, this is no different.

I'm not sure why anyone in this thread is going to boycott a dealer for simply covering their *** for something that is obviously illegal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No manufacturer wants to be in the same position that HD was in last summer (fined $12million USD in August '16). Like @sinjin mentioned about his experience with his S1000RR, this is no different.

I'm not sure why anyone in this thread is going to boycott a dealer for simply covering their *** for something that is obviously illegal.
My problem is that the dealer/shop is not a manufacturer and is not going to be subject to this. The EPA has stated that they don't have any care or intention to monitor or police anything at the individual level, that they will leave that up to state and local authorities. I'm in Texas (as is the dealership we are discussing) and there are no state laws against this. We are not subject to the overreaching bureaucracy known as CARB, thank God.

I believe that this is a slippery slope and that dealers refusing to do this work on bikes is bad for the biking community. We're already hit by regulations limiting performance and changing what we are able to buy. This takes it too far. The dealers aren't going to get hit with any fines and Ducati isn't going to in this case either. The difference with HD was they were producing the modified pieces. Ducati isn't making non-compliant exhaust. (One could argue the existing, but locked, upmaps might be trouble for a manufacturer) Because of the negative impact this has on the overall sport, I won't support a shop that refuses to do the work I want performed. Not that complex.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dee, try Des Moto in SF 415 552-7729.They did my first service , installed some frame sliders, set the sag. A Ducati performance shop. Called them to install rapid bike , was recommended to do a track day to see if I really needed the exhaust and tune upgrade . I did , and no 600 ever passed me , but the stuff going on the bike anyway. Think you can do it yourself if your motivated. I probably am.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dee, try Des Moto in SF 415 552-7729.They did my first service , installed some frame sliders, set the sag. A Ducati performance shop. Called them to install rapid bike , was recommended to do a track day to see if I really needed the exhaust and tune upgrade . I did , and no 600 ever passed me , but the stuff going on the bike anyway. Think you can do it yourself if your motivated. I probably am.
Question is can they tune it without declaring the bike a racebike. The whole point of this thread is to be able to run a tune and ride it without a record of tuning the bike so it can be ridden on the street. The idea is that if some LEO runs a check on the bike, it won't scream racebike can't ride on the street.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does CA note your title or something?

Question is can they tune it without declaring the bike a racebike. The whole point of this thread is to be able to run a tune and ride it without a record of tuning the bike so it can be ridden on the street. The idea is that if some LEO runs a check on the bike, it won't scream racebike can't ride on the street.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does CA note your title or something?
I don't know the exact details, but there is some database that is used when your plates are pulled. If it so happens you change your AFR, you will either get fined or have your bike towed or both.

Now if someone more knowledge would like to chime in and correct me, I'm all ears.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts