Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I purchased a pair of generic LED turn signals off Amazon which I should receive tomorrow. Do I need resistors to control flashing rate? If so, any idea what resistance?

Thanks!
Davy

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Folks,

I purchased a pair of generic LED turn signals off Amazon which I should receive tomorrow. Do I need resistors to control flashing rate? If so, any idea what resistance?

Thanks!
Davy

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

As far as I can tell, most of new motorcycles don’t need anything else when you change the turn signs for led.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I doubt you’ll need to add something - test it first when you get it, no point in spending money if you don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt you’ll need to add something - test it first when you get it, no point in spending money if you don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - hopefully I'll get a chance over the weekend. The stockers are uuuggglleeee!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the resistors are needed - I hooked up the LED turn signals I got and they did not flash and I got the 'bulb out' indication from the fronts.
Davy

·
Registered
190 Posts
I removed my rears and used two of those LED strips with the adhesive backing... They work like normal, no errors and no resistors needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, I installed two LED turn signals today in the rear, and it flashes once when I put on the signal, then nothing... I'm guessing I might need something in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, after a lot of experimenting it looks like the eBay aftermarket Ducati-style connectors I bought are duds. I cut the wiring off the OEM turn signals and soldered up the LEDs. They work perfectly without having to install a resistor. The first time I turned them on, they did flash only once. I turned them off and back on again and they now flashed at the correct rate. I'm thinking the one-time flash was part of the learning process for the bike? Either way, they're working perfectly.

Thanks!

Davy

·
Registered
190 Posts
So, after a lot of experimenting it looks like the eBay aftermarket Ducati-style connectors I bought are duds. I cut the wiring off the OEM turn signals and soldered up the LEDs. They work perfectly without having to install a resistor. The first time I turned them on, they did flash only once. I turned them off and back on again and they now flashed at the correct rate. I'm thinking the one-time flash was part of the learning process for the bike? Either way, they're working perfectly.

Thanks!

Davy
I just installed these LED lights from the local auto parts store. I drilled the plate and mounting bracket to accommodate the larger diameter of this and threaded it in and use it to actually mount the tag to the mounting plate, in place of those black plastic or reflector types.

They were $20 and are insanely bright. I am gonna paint then yellow and hopefully that will tone down the brightness a bit.

https://youtu.be/9gk4idGFyuk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just installed these LED lights from the local auto parts store. I drilled the plate and mounting bracket to accommodate the larger diameter of this and threaded it in and use it to actually mount the tag to the mounting plate, in place of those black plastic or reflector types.

They were $20 and are insanely bright. I am gonna paint then yellow and hopefully that will tone down the brightness a bit.

https://youtu.be/9gk4idGFyuk
What LEDs are those and where are they mounted? Hard to see since they are so bright lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What LEDs are those and where are they mounted? Hard to see since they are so bright lol.
I got them from the local auto parts store. They take the place of the bolts that mount the tag to the mounting plate, you just have to drill out the hole a bit to accomodate the larger bolt. I will take some more detailed pics, I just put another coat of yellow paint on them to make them more yellow, and to reduce the brightness a tad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another update on this. Turn signals started acting erratically after a week or so. Sometimes they'd work, other times they wouldn't and I'd get the 'bulb-out' fast flash from the fronts. I tested the led's themselves - they were fine. So, yesterday I installed the resistors and both rear flashers are working fine now. The resistance of the leds on their own must be just on the limit of what the bike can detect and compensate for.

Davy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts