Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem. But In my first year of riding the bike, I noticed that the rear mudguard has been baked with heat, it's slightly cracked and has bubbles because of heat.

I am not sure if my bike is over heating (it never goes over 220 F, that too if i am mostly on 1st and 2nd gear), if I am moving 70mph on a 80* F weather then the engine temp is around 170-180 F range.

But the bubbles and cracks are definitely by heat, wasn't sure if anybody else has had this?

Also, if I do plan to swap the plastic with Carbon Fiber, I am assuming it will be more resilient to heat than plastic, but not sure if that'll bubble up too, I don't want to throw away money. Any thoughts?

I'll share a picture if I can over the weekend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very interested to see that picture.

There's no question that it isn't caused by the rear exhaust header, but the real question is why? You don't have your Panigale slammed low by chance do you?

From your other posts, you're about my height, so I'm sure that's not the case, but the only way I think the rear hugger would get baked is if it was closer via rear height. Mine shows no signs of bubbling at all at a rear sag of ~30mm.

It's a stretch (and a really far one I admit), but maybe your O2 sensor is loose and exhaust gases are directly blowing onto the exhaust shield and down to the rear hugger?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interested to see that picture.

There's no question that it isn't caused by the rear exhaust header, but the real question is why? You don't have your Panigale slammed low by chance do you?

From your other posts, you're about my height, so I'm sure that's not the case, but the only way I think the rear hugger would get baked is if it was closer via rear height. Mine shows no signs of bubbling at all at a rear sag of ~30mm.

It's a stretch (and a really far one I admit), but maybe your O2 sensor is loose and exhaust gases are directly blowing onto the exhaust shield and down to the rear hugger?

I am pretty new to the adjustments on my suspension and haven't touched it since I bought it, and am not even sure how to check if the height is pretty close to the mudguard (though I'd like to know).

My apologies for not posting pics earlier. I am attaching 3 pictures. Something I might need to follow up with my dealer I guess, but it's a bummer and makes me sad everytime I look at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Holy crap, that is completely not normal. While the rear header pipe is hot, it shouldn't be causing the tire hugger to bubble like that (at least anecdotally with my 959).

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I suspect that while you're sitting on the bike @YOGI-G the suspension brings the exhaust pipe to within centimeters of the rear hugger - it's literally the only explanation for what's happened to it!
EDIT1: actually, I can see in the pics that there's a line of extreme heat that's going across the hugger - is there an exhaust leak in the pipe? perhaps the flange is broken on the 180 degree portion.
EDIT2: Hold On - the hugger is Broken in the picture... perhaps it's being flung up into the exhaust while you go over bumps...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll surely inspect the flange on the exhaust and post an update, should've done that last time I was at the storage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts