Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

Rear Seat Cowl installed

31K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  dngo87 
#1 ·
The rear seat cowl came in and I got it installed. I love the way it looks on my buddy's 2016 1299S, so I wanted to have one too. Especially since I'm pretty much done having anyone ride as a passenger on it. I think the rear seat cowl looks so much better than the rear passenger seat. I'll post some outside pictures when I get a chance. The lighting in my garage is not very good.

It was quick to install. Only caveat is that you actually lose some storage. The way the dealer had my tool kit set under the seat, it won't fit with the seat cowl. He had it sitting above the passenger seat strap sideways. On my buddy's 1299S, the tool kit is actually underneath the black plastic section that comes out to access the wiring for the turn signals and brake light. I'm not sure if there's enough room to put it there on the 959 though.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, it is easy. Here's what you do:
1. Remove the passenger seat.
2. Remove 2 hex head (3mm) bolts from the black plastic piece on the side of where the seat slid out.
3. Gently lift up and out that side of the plastic piece and tail so that the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt is exposed.
4. Remove the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt.
5. Gently push the black plastic piece back and towards the center of the bike. It should come out.
6. Install the red piece that came with your kit to the side of the tail with the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt.
7. Slide the side of the tail down into place.
8. Install the 2 hex head bolts .
9. Repeat for the other side.
10. Slide the black tail piece into place. Start from the rider's seat and slide it back until it clicks into place. Check to make sure that it clicked into place.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Looking at the red plastic pieces that come with the kit to understand how they fit and the holes line up will be helpful for you before you start. Definitely don't force anything too hard. You don't want to break any parts of this kit considering that it costs $300. Here's the link where I ordered mine:

http://www.motospecialties.com/stor...category=Ducati Performance&ItemNum=97180321A

If you look at the 3rd picture that I posted, you'll see the tool kit. With the cowl in place, it does not fit on top of the passenger strap (basically just move it back 6" in the picture). Previously, that's how it was under the passenger seat. I'll either break it into a couple smaller bags and see if it will fit and/or see if any of it can fit under the black tab section (like my friend's 1299S).

Attachments

#16 ·
Yes, it is easy. Here's what you do:
1. Remove the passenger seat.
2. Remove 2 hex head (3mm) bolts from the black plastic piece on the side of where the seat slid out.
3. Gently lift up and out that side of the plastic piece and tail so that the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt is exposed.
4. Remove the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt.
5. Gently push the black plastic piece back and towards the center of the bike. It should come out.
6. Install the red piece that came with your kit to the side of the tail with the 3rd (middle) hex head bolt.
7. Slide the side of the tail down into place.
8. Install the 2 hex head bolts .
9. Repeat for the other side.
10. Slide the black tail piece into place. Start from the rider's seat and slide it back until it clicks into place. Check to make sure that it clicked into place.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Looking at the red plastic pieces that come with the kit to understand how they fit and the holes line up will be helpful for you before you start. Definitely don't force anything too hard. You don't want to break any parts of this kit considering that it costs $300. Here's the link where I ordered mine:

Ducati Performance Seat cowl - 959 Panigale | 97180321A

If you look at the 3rd picture that I posted, you'll see the tool kit. With the cowl in place, it does not fit on top of the passenger strap (basically just move it back 6" in the picture). Previously, that's how it was under the passenger seat. I'll either break it into a couple smaller bags and see if it will fit and/or see if any of it can fit under the black tab section (like my friend's 1299S).
*** Thank you for these instructions---10 minute installation and looks great thanks to your help.

#17 ·
*** Thank you for these instructions---10 minute installation and looks great thanks to your help.
No problem. BTW, I found a way to get the tool kit in. Basically I turn the seat cowl upside down and put the toolkit lengthwise in it. Then turn it over, holding the toolkit in place until I slide the cowl in place.

Also, I took out the passenger strap since that doesn't serve any purpose and was easy to catch on.

#6 ·
CBR_PC, how is riding in New Zealand? I'd imagine there are some beautiful views. New Zealand (along with Australia) is towards the top on my travel hit list.

#7 ·
And you would be most welcome Avigil. Parts of NZ are similar to Seattle I guess. That would be the South Island with its mountains, rivers and lakes. The North Island ranges from the winterless north which is basically the top of the North Island down to the central area of the volcanic plateau with its famous geothermal areas. Google Rotorua. The lower half of the north island has some great scenery too. Over the fantastic Rimutaka range into the Wairarapa with its wineries. You will find the people very friendly and if you are in with some NZ motorcyclists you will make friends for life. We recently had Brittany Morrow here who was the girl crowned Queen of Road Rash after coming off the pax seat of bike at 120mph. Now an advocate for ATGATT. Check out her site "Rock the Gear". She had a ball.

#9 ·
Seat arrived from England in a matter of days. Actually it is three parts of a seat. To red side pieces and one black centre piece. My bike should be ready for pick up this Saturday so only three more sleeps :)
In your instructions you say to remove the seat. Is there any advice needed there or is it pretty obvious?

Cheers

PC

#10 ·
Yes, it's obvious. But I'll elaborate anyways. To remove the passenger seat you do the following:
1. Put the key under the tail and turn it.
2. Push the passenger seat towards the front of the bike.
It will come off.

Once you try it, you'll see that it's really simple.

#14 ·
You might want to make sure that it contains the 2 pieces that go on each side. If not, you'll need to get those also.

#18 ·
I was able to finally get my seat cowl last week and through the excellent instructions posted by avigil, the installation went through without a hitch.

Here are some pics of the install:

Attachments

#19 ·
Pic 1 shows the parts that should be removed/replace.

Pic 2 shows the two 3mm hex bolts you need to remove which will then allow you to lift up the black plastic piece and see the 3rd 3mm hex bolt that you also need to remove.

Pic 3 shows what you should be seeing after the removal of the black plastic.

Pic 4 to 7 shows a before and after view.

Btw, the instructions of avigil regarding the insertion of the tool kit in the space prior to insertion of the seat itself proved to be spot-on as well!

Cheers to you Avigil!

#20 ·
I just installed my AWS seat cowl assembly..... going farther back in this thread I think I might get the carbon center piece.

I was thinking right off the bat that the fairing pieces were not the same color as my 959. Take a look and let me know what any of you think....
I ordered it through Pure-Ducati online. I had some reward points to use....

Attachments

#23 ·
@Dingo - It was super easy to install. I recommend a pneumatic staple gun if you have it. You fit the bottom first and pull it tight, then stretch the backside over nice and snug, then use a clip or clamp to hold one side tight while you pull the other side shoot a few staples and when your confident you have a secure cover you're done.

It goes right over the OEM cover, no need to strip it. Some versions have a gel pack to enhance comfort. I like the look.

It seems to match my AWS better than the seat cowl fairings do....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.