Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came back from a ride this morning and threw the bike up onto the rear wheel stand to lube the chain and noticed a squeak coming from the left side rear wheel bearing. Every time you move the wheel forward or backward it makes a sound like a squeaking door hinge.

I'm guessing either a wheel bearing failure or a lack of grease on the bearing.

Will probably have to take it into the dealer to have them check it out under warranty.

Disappointing, only 1345 miles on the bike.:frown2:

Anyone know where to purchase the special socket to fit the rear wheel axle nut?

I'll pull the wheel and check the bearing before taking it in.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Came back from a ride this morning and threw the bike up onto the rear wheel stand to lube the chain and noticed a squeak coming from the left side rear wheel bearing. Every time you move the wheel forward or backward it makes a sound like a squeaking door hinge.

I'm guessing either a wheel bearing failure or a lack of grease on the bearing.

Will probably have to take it into the dealer to have them check it out under warranty.

Disappointing, only 1345 miles on the bike.:frown2:

Anyone know where to purchase the special socket to fit the rear wheel axle nut?

I'll pull the wheel and check the bearing before taking it in.

Thanks!
I have noticed that same sound. Sounds kind of like rubber on metal to me. I use a standard socket on mine, but you may check Moto Wheels or Speedy Moto for a special socket.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug, I left it on the stand and noticed the sound has abated after everything cooled back down. I'm guessing if it was a bearing it would be constant. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tried it again, the squeak seems to be gone now....hmmmm...:confused:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@Kruz - do you have an IR thermometer to check the temps of the bits back there? be curious to know what they are given the ambient air temp at the time:
chain-
sprocket-
cush-
rim-
tire-

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I notice it when the bike is cold. Sounds like it's coming from the sprocket side around the rear axel, but it's difficult to pinpoint.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Doug, you are right, when I took it back off the stand it made that squeaking sound pretty loud rolling it across the garage floor. I'm not going to sweat it for now but might stop by the dealer and ask them for their opinion. Might be nothig to be concerned about but would like to know regardless.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Hi Doug, you are right, when I took it back off the stand it made that squeaking sound pretty loud rolling it across the garage floor. I'm not going to sweat it for now but might stop by the dealer and ask them for their opinion. Might be nothig to be concerned about but would like to know regardless.
I felt the same way. I poked around a few times but couldn't really find the source, nor did I see where anything was being negatively affected. Let us know what you find out!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug, my rear wheel stopped squeaking. Not sure if it will come back or not but I'm guessing it's nothing serious if it's intermittent. A failing wheel bearing would be consistent and getting progressively noisier I would think.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Doug, my rear wheel stopped squeaking. Not sure if it will come back or not but I'm guessing it's nothing serious if it's intermittent. A failing wheel bearing would be consistent and getting progressively noisier I would think.
I just removed my rear wheel last night in order to replace my rear tire. With that in mind I inspected the bearings, seal, etc, and found nothing obvious. They did seem a tad dry so I think I will put a little extra grease around the seals when greasing the axle upon installation.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just removed my rear wheel last night in order to replace my rear tire. With that in mind I inspected the bearings, seal, etc, and found nothing obvious. They did seem a tad dry so I think I will put a little extra grease around the seals when greasing the axle upon installation.

Thanks Doug, I just came back from a ride on the 959 and it seems to be behaving well with no strange noises coming from the back wheel. I think this may be a case of much to do about nothing.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Thanks Doug, I just came back from a ride on the 959 and it seems to be behaving well with no strange noises coming from the back wheel. I think this may be a case of much to do about nothing.:smile2:
I think you're right. Mine seems to have dissipated as well.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drat, picked up a nail in my back tire on Saturday, ordered a new Corsa Rosso 180/60 R17 from Jake Wilson, $170 with free shipping.

180/60ZR-17 (75W) Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Rear Motorcycle Tire

Fits: 2016 DUCATI 821 Monster

Part# 1287440006

Our price: $170.88

MSRP: $274.95 - You save $104.07 (38% off)

Get $8.54 in Quick Cash

View Product DetailsSee stock sizes for your machine (Machine Specs)
Size:180/60ZR-17 (75W) 180/60ZR-17 (75W)
  • 180/60ZR-17 (75W)

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Drat, picked up a nail in my back tire on Saturday, ordered a new Corsa Rosso 180/60 R17 from Jake Wilson, $170 with free shipping.

180/60ZR-17 (75W) Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Rear Motorcycle Tire

Fits: 2016 DUCATI 821 Monster

Part# 1287440006

Our price: $170.88

MSRP: $274.95 - You save $104.07 (38% off)

Get $8.54 in Quick Cash

View Product DetailsSee stock sizes for your machine (Machine Specs)
Size:180/60ZR-17 (75W) 180/60ZR-17 (75W)
  • 180/60ZR-17 (75W)
I got mine from Motorcycle Superstore - Same deal. They have the point system too as do most places these days.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Doug,

Did you try taking some of that preload out of your front fork yet?

I've been like a kid in a candy store lately cranking preload out the front ends of all my bikes.

It's amazing how much better they turn in and finish a corner when you get the nose pointing down a bit.

I just took out the last 1/2 turn of front preload on my CBR, backed her out 5 turns total now from standard and out now 4 turns on the 959 from standard. Will ride it this evening and report back.

The only negatives I can possibly see is if you go to far, you could get into excessive front end dive hard on the brakes on the track or you could get into some front end nervousness. I don't think there's enough adjustment range to create either issue though, so far it's been all incredibly positive results.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Hi Doug,

Did you try taking some of that preload out of your front fork yet?

I've been like a kid in a candy store lately cranking preload out the front ends of all my bikes.

It's amazing how much better they turn in and finish a corner when you get the nose pointing down a bit.

I just took out the last 1/2 turn of front preload on my CBR, backed her out 5 turns total now from standard and out now 4 turns on the 959 from standard. Will ride it this evening and report back.

The only negatives I can possibly see is if you go to far, you could get into excessive front end dive hard on the brakes on the track or you could get into some front end nervousness. I don't think there's enough adjustment range to create either issue though, so far it's been all incredibly positive results.
Hey Kruz! After my ride this past Sunday I'm pretty satisfied with the setup. I ended up leaving the preload and the forks where they were but made a few adjustments to the rear. Removed two clicks of rebound and added 1/4 turn of compression. I was able to start dragging my knees with no worries.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting, I have taken a lot of preload out of the BPF forks on all of my bikes that have them with excellent results so far. 3 turns out from standard on the ZX-10R, 4.5 turns out from standard on the CBR1000RR and both responded very well. I initially took out two turns of front preload on the 959 with positive results but taking an extra two turns out made no difference in turn in and introduced some pitch instability. I'm guessing the non-adjustable steering damper is holding things up on the 959, the 10R has an Ohlins bi-tube damper and I have it cranked all the back to minimum damping. The CBR has the Honda HESD damper which is speed sensitive, it steers a little heavier than the 10R but is really finishing the corners well, so will leave it alone for now. I put two turns of preload back into the front fork on the 959 and will ride it again to verify once I have my new rear tire on there. I'm still not completely satisfied with the ride quality of the 959 but hopefully will have it dialed in soon.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, I'm going to order a new front tire for my 959, 1500 miles and both ends are pretty much shot. I think these Pirellis are really sticky but they wear out very fast. Rear tire should arrive today.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Maybe it's the 959's "big piston" fork that reacts differently than your others. I supposed it makes a difference what your preload's starting point is as well.

I replaced the stock damper with an Ohilins straight away, but I was looking for a stiffer feel. Plus the stock one is non-adjustable which doesn't make a lot of sense.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts