Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm replacing my levers and have struck a problem I can't seem to find a solution to yet. its simple the removal of the actuator pin from the stock lever. As you can see from the pic the barrel the actuator acres into (bottom left of pic) interferes with the lever body and i can't slide it out. Ive tried removing the sleeve the whole lever pivots on ( top right of the pic) but it seems to be press fitted into the body of the lever and not movable. Am i missing a simple fix here. Ive rebuilt engines before so I have some mechanical experience but I think I must be missing something simple here File 5-1-17, 4 58 05 pm.jpg

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Hi,
I'm replacing my levers and have struck a problem I can't seem to find a solution to yet. its simple the removal of the actuator pin from the stock lever. As you can see from the pic the barrel the actuator acres into (bottom left of pic) interferes with the lever body and i can't slide it out. Ive tried removing the sleeve the whole lever pivots on ( top right of the pic) but it seems to be press fitted into the body of the lever and not movable. Am i missing a simple fix here. Ive rebuilt engines before so I have some mechanical experience but I think I must be missing something simple here View attachment 13033
I replaced mine about 6 months ago. I remember that being a little odd, but got it out pretty quickly. Let me try to jog my brain a little...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes thanks avigil i did see that video. the TWM levers seem to come with the actuator pin and the barrel and sleeve. I need to try and remove mine from the stock lever. in the 1098 you can dissemble the lever as per the attached pic but I am unable to remove the silver coloured sleeve shown in this pic on my 959. I don't want to damage the stock lever. Does anyone know if it can be removed on the 959 - maybe I'm not applying enough force. all this so I can remove the actuator pin and the barrel it screws into (the black piece in this pic)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
yes thanks avigil i did see that video. the TWM levers seem to come with the actuator pin and the barrel and sleeve. I need to try and remove mine from the stock lever. in the 1098 you can dissemble the lever as per the attached pic but I am unable to remove the silver coloured sleeve shown in this pic on my 959. I don't want to damage the stock lever. Does anyone know if it can be removed on the 959 - maybe I'm not applying enough force. all this so I can remove the actuator pin and the barrel it screws into (the black piece in this pic)
I think the actuator came off with the lever. But it has been awhile, so my memory is hazy

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
yes it can be removed - I suggest using a steel pin the same diameter as the sleeve and tapping it free. Page 94 and 96 of the Spare Parts Catalogue show the exploded view of the master cylinders and levers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this doesn't help your quest…but which replacement levers did you go with?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pazzo levers come with a steel tool to press out the actuator pin, thought that was really handy once I figured out what it was. A small socket should work tho.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Harbor freight punch set?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help everyone. Great to be able to get help like the confirmation from Dingo that the sleeve IS meant to come out before I go damaging something :).
As you can see from the pics got it out. Found my drill press used gently was enough pressure, so didn't have to do any smacking with a punch. For those that may be interested see pic below. I used an oversized socket below a smaller dia socket above and a soft piece of alloy between socket, drill press to protect both - and "Bob's you're Uncle". Thanks again. Im new to this so please feel free to tell me if the pics are too high res or any problems with my post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
@Charmello - Had you mentioned you had a drill press in your first post I would've suggested exactly what you did to get it out - good thinking!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts