Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my ride height set a while ago and at the time the shop said I was a little too heavy for the front springs. I am 210-215lb and about 6'1". I started to ask around and I have been getting all different kinds of answers. One shop said, the stock bikes are set up for people 160-180lb, another said 190-200lb, and another said 215lb is not an issue.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?

I am asking because I am going to start dialing my suspension in and I want to start with a good base.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Settings/Feedback Thread

I'm 190-200lbs (depending on the previous week's dairy input....mmmm....ice cream) and switched to Race Tech 1.00kg/mm fork springs so I could get in the right adjustment range.

@3,000 miles later and still very happy with my setup on both the track and street.

Tons of info in the thread link above, not a bad idea to go through there for a few pearls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kev242 Thanks for the info.
I read that thread easier today. I want to try the set up Kruz has done. From some of his post, I think he is about my size. But I did not read if he had the springs changed.
Where did you purchase the Race Tech Springs? I spoke to Race Tech in Corona Ca and they told me they did not have a spring for the 959. Do you have a part number?

·
Registered
224 Posts
My service tech Stephen Saucier at ECS (who now works at a local Ducati shop) ordered and installed them, not sure where he sourced them.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm 180 lbs and are about 5-10mm away from bottoming out my forks under hard braking with 24 clicks in of preload of 54 clicks total. If you want to dial in your suspension, you first have to understand if the current springs are limiting you.

A couple of questions for you:
  • What is your front sag set at?
  • How many clicks of preload is this at?
  • How much travel are you using?
Not necessarily related to front springs, but the rear is important as well for general balance:
  • What is your rear sag set at?
  • How many threads of adjustment do you have left?
  • How much free sag do you have?

It's easy to buy a new set of springs and pay for them to be swapped out, but its hard to know that you actually need the change. There's a mixed bag of answers because in reality, no one can answer it without knowing the answer to some/all of the questions above. There could be a 140lb monster that rides to the level on a 959 that requires stiffer springs than you at 210lbs.

If you are bottoming out your forks/rear shock, add more preload. If you can't add more preload, yep you need stiffer springs. I'm overly simplifying things, but generally speaking, understand your current setup first (truly your good base) so you can have the data you need to make your decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Suspension settings is one of the hardest things to master, IMO. I think that's one reason the auto suspension is so popular. I'm not sure about the weight ratings on the OE springs, but as I'm sure you know there are a lot of variables involved. Do you know that you're bottoming out your forks? @DJ Shrug made some good points above. I keep a zip tie on my forks to keep track of how much travel I'm actually using. Also, not to speak for @Kruz, but I'm almost 100% sure he is using the OE springs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@DJ Shrug- thanks for the info. I had my ride height set up about 7 months or so ago. I had about 1500 miles. To be honest I do not remember the settings. I am out of town for a while but when I get back I will get the info and post it.

When got my ride height done the tech said I was a little to heavy for my springs. He adjusted them so I would not bottom out.
After I got more comfortable on the bike and started going faster I noticed my front was sliding a bit. I ended reading a great thread. I think it was mostly between you @Kruz. It was a great read on his suspension.
(Pardon any typos, I'm on my phone)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Im about your weight and Ive upgrade both front and rear springs. 1.0kg fronts and Ohlins 90nm rear with some collars made up.

I used the below (which I think is a ZX10R spring)

Race Tech FRSP-S382710
1.0 KG/MM 38.5mm X 36mm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @D-StyleNZL. I will remember that. I think i am going to take @DJ Shrug's advice and get my measurements and see where I am before I start throwing money at it. I wish I was not out of town. I'd start working on it tonight.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
@cfiore, here is my take on the subject.

Road Racing World did a track based test on the 959 last year (February 2016 issue) and test rider and editor Chris Ulrich had no complaints about the stock fork springs. Chris weighs 180 lbs and is an AMA Pro and was able to get the front end working nicely at the 959 debut at the Ricardo Tormo circuit in Valencia Spain. There are some pretty brutal braking zones on that track and he ended up adding several turns of front preload to prevent the front end from collapsing under braking loads but quickly got it dialed in to his satisfaction and proceeded to set some fast lap times.

For us mere mortals that can't ride like Chris, I'm guessing the stock springs are fine for a majority of riders.

I actually ended up taking out 1 full turn of preload in the front end of my 959 to aid in initial turn in and I weigh almost 220lbs, no bottoming noted but I did notice the front becomes slightly unstable under hard braking. So a bit of a tradeoff between agility and braking stability.

A caveat on that however, I am not using the 959 on track, back road twisties only and the braking loads are not near as great in that venue. If I was setting up for track work, I would definitely add some front preload back in until I got the braking stability where I like it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Kruz, that is good information. I am going to spend a little more time on the set up before I start throwing money at it.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
@Kruz , that is good information. I am going to spend a little more time on the set up before I start throwing money at it.

Boy, I sure would. My first step after sag setup is to sit down, take a deep breath and write down what it is that the bike is doing that I don't like or don't feel comfortable with. Does it feel like it's slow initiating turn in or does it feel like it's running wide on corner exit, unstable on the brakes, etc. Be really detailed and specific here, something like "this bike handles lousy" is not going to cut it, way too general. After you have your laundry list, analyze it or ask for help from someone with more suspension experience and start making one small, logical change at a time and evaluate.

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@cfiore - the previous post by @Kruz assumes you have the seat time to differentiate between the bike behaving a certain way on its own and the rider not being comfortable riding the machine at that level. Like he mentions, consult a suspension tech to fully understand what change is going to make the bike handle better for you and your riding style. It takes time...
It's like going in for a custom suit - first measurements are taken, then there's the first fitting, possibly a second, then the final fit and tweaks here and there after that. One size doesn't fit all.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Which brings up a good point, if you are not able to determine what it is about your current setup that is causing you problems then don't mess with it. The base line suspension settings provided by Ducati for our 959 are decent, not optimal for everyone's skill level and riding style but close enough, especially for newer riders, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: cfiore

·
Registered
118 Posts
I weight 100-105kgs with gear. And the OEM springs were not ideal. They are set up for tiny 85kg Italians.

I change my rear spring first which corrected the rear end sag (think I was up to double the thread showing than the "race setting" in the manual)

My Front fork seals went at about 10000kms, so while the shocks were apart, i swapped out the springs to 1.0kg springs and fresh oil. Now the front end sag setup up correctly and stays constant. Bottom out is 5mm up for base of fork, on the track settings my fork now never get below 5mm to the bottom out point.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@D-StyleNZL - you just made @Kruz 's point exactly - you ride on the track and the stock suspension wasn't good enough. Tracking the bike is above average riding level, amateur racing level for some, if not more advanced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 125lbs and my zip tie is about 1 inch from bottoming out with 6 clicks of preload from full soft. I could take out a click or 2 but this is with street riding, I'm sure I'd use more fork travel at a trackday so I left it for now.

I feel like the front springs are pretty close to what I need for my weight, but the rear spring is way too hard.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@D-StyleNZL - you just made @Kruz 's point exactly - you ride on the track and the stock suspension wasn't good enough. Tracking the bike is above average riding level, amateur racing level for some, if not more advanced.
Yes I do ride on track.
Ive also done 26000kms on the road in 2years.

but anyway, for the cost of around $400AUD to get new springs to suit my weight is a no brainer. It better than the standard "just buy ohlins" response.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I'm 125lbs and my zip tie is about 1 inch from bottoming out with 6 clicks of preload from full soft. I could take out a click or 2 but this is with street riding, I'm sure I'd use more fork travel at a trackday so I left it for now.

I feel like the front springs are pretty close to what I need for my weight, but the rear spring is way too hard.
Sounds like you're in good shape on the front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I was finally able to get some time and have my measurements checked. I decided to take a recommendation from some local rider and I contacted Randy Acevedo from InHouse Suspension. He worked and did road racing suspension at Race Tech.
First, my two front shocks were set up different. Not by a lot but different. Second my rear was has little rebound. I was told that would want to make my bike want to go wide in a turn. Which is was doing.

Anyway, here is what I have.
SAG: Front-45mm, Rear-29.5

Front:
Preload: Is buried
Comp: 3 turns from hard
Rebound: 2.5 turns from hard

Rear:
Comp: 1.5 turns from closed
Rebound: 7 clicks from closed

I have not had a chance to take the bike in the canyon but I did notice a difference in the rear when getting on the throttle. The rear will squat but come back up much quicker.
I am not going to replace the springs at this point. I was told if I start to ride harder I will need to get them done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts