Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my chain tonight and noticed that the sprocket flange on my bike can rotate a small amount on the wheel. Enough that when I hold the sprocket I can move the wheel and it will make and audible clunk. I haven't measured it, but I would ballpark it around .020" of rotational movement between the flange and wheel. Getting fresh rubber put on this weekend and if its something that isn't normal, and it doesn't seem normal to me, I'd like to bring it up with my service advisor beforehand. Any info/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Definitely have that checked - there shouldn't be any play in the sprocket/cush/wheel. I'm guessing you have a cush that needs service or replacing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was cleaning my chain tonight and noticed that the sprocket flange on my bike can rotate a small amount on the wheel. Enough that when I hold the sprocket I can move the wheel and it will make and audible clunk.
I was also cleaning my chain and noticed I was able to create an audible clunk when trying to turn the rear wheel by grabbing only the rear sprocket. My guess is that there's some extra play in the cush drives but what's weird is that the audible clunk only occurs when I grab certain sections of the sprocket to spin the wheel. I couldn't find any other type of play around the wheel and bolts.

Bike has 5100 miles on it now, 3 track days so far.

What did your service advisor say/do about the clunk?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the same thing on a new on the showroom 2019 and it had the same free play, guess that's just the way they are... I've never experienced any issues while riding, street or track, it's likely just the necessary clearance needed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I tried the same thing on a new on the showroom 2019 and it had the same free play, guess that's just the way they are... I've never experienced any issues while riding, street or track, it's likely just the necessary clearance needed.
The manual says to check the cush drives at 15k mile intervals, so I would be surprised if the cush drives are having issues at 5100 miles for me. I guess it is normal based on what you've see on the showroom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts