Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sato Racing 959 Engine Sliders

I've only mostly seen everyone on here getting either the T-Rex sliders or the R&G sliders, but am looking to get Sato sliders as I'm planning on getting the Ducabike clear clutch cover. I don't like how the R&G ones look, but those probably can work with the clear cover too.

Anyone have Sato sliders on their 959? I've only seen them on 899s.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting the Sato engine slider set without the suspension brace.

Instructions say that the fairings (or rather one of the heat shields) needs to be cut on the right side for the sliders to fit, however I didn't cut anything at all. Pretty simple setup; I could see how the protection could be seen as weak as compared to the R&G sliders.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sato Racing 959 Engine Sliders

I've only mostly seen everyone on here getting either the T-Rex sliders or the R&G sliders, but am looking to get Sato sliders as I'm planning on getting the Ducabike clear clutch cover. I don't like how the R&G ones look, but those probably can work with the clear cover too.

Anyone have Sato sliders on their 959? I've only seen them on 899s.
That's because the slider market is polarized: T-Rex are cheap and R&G are race proven and expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've not seen it myself but have heard from someone that claims to have first had experience seeing that the Sato Sliders do provide the function they are designed for on the track.

I'm having a hard time finding the R&G sliders for sale in the US but my local dealer stocks the Sato sliders so I am thinking seriously of grabbing them before my first track day this weekend.

Any experience with the T-rex set-up with an actual crash out there?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not seen it myself but have heard from someone that claims to have first had experience seeing that the Sato Sliders do provide the function they are designed for on the track.
I've read about a ton of people with 899s/1199s/1299s that have them on their bike, but very true there's not much on those who tell their story about going down with them.

So far I like them, one of the complaints people had about these on Panigales is that it stuck out too much and was in direct path of your shins when at a stop. So far no shin hitting for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went ahead and installed Sato Racing engine sliders today. Being short, it doesn't seem to be an issue with my shins. I preferred the way these looked to the R&G and T-Rex. Hopefully never have to use them!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 5'10" and since I've installed it, I've haven't noticed them touch my legs during normal riding. My shin hits the clutch casing much more.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

I'm having a hard time finding the R&G sliders for sale in the US but my local dealer stocks the Sato sliders so I am thinking seriously of grabbing them before my first track day this weekend.

Any experience with the T-rex set-up with an actual crash out there?
Seriously, I don't think it makes a big difference what you choose as a low side fall (or worst), the sliders will grab or break-off, resulting in major damage either way. Sliders are just good to prevent damage from inadvertently or carelessly dropping your bike. But that's just my personal opinion. From experience (s), sliders have saved my novice wife's bike from any significant damage caused by her dropping it a few times. YMMV.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i ended up getting GB Racing covers for my 959. I've tested them on my zx6r multiple times without an issue

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my Sato Engine Sliders installed. I went with the optional suspension support. It was terrifying ratcheting my bike up on my rickety a** ladder. (time to invest in a proper ladder) But it worked and I was able to take the load of the rear suspension using that trick. Shout out to DJ Shrug for posting that you didn't need to 'cut a hole or remove' the heatshield' (as it suggests in the Sato Instructions I was about to panic a little until i saw him post that. You indeed do not have to. The spacer piece they send with it fits right into the plastic heatshield hole.

They look great and feel strong. Here's to never needing them!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got my Sato Engine Sliders installed. I went with the optional suspension support. It was terrifying ratcheting my bike up on my rickety a** ladder. (time to invest in a proper ladder) But it worked and I was able to take the load of the rear suspension using that trick. Shout out to DJ Shrug for posting that you didn't need to 'cut a hole or remove' the heatshield' (as it suggests in the Sato Instructions I was about to panic a little until i saw him post that. You indeed do not have to. The spacer piece they send with it fits right into the plastic heatshield hole.

They look great and feel strong. Here's to never needing them!
Looks good!! I was actually planning on getting the same set up, with the suspension support.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive only seen one other bike with the Sato sliders install. He ended up having a wreak at a track day, while the Sliders did offer some slide protection for the first 2 seconds of the crash, but ultimately the crash wrote off bike.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive only seen one other bike with the Sato sliders install. He ended up having a wreak at a track day, while the Sliders did offer some slide protection for the first 2 seconds of the crash, but ultimately the crash wrote off bike.
Any flipping?

Based on my install, I'd say sliding on uniform pavement, the Satos would work fine, might tip and grind down the tank a bit. Now, the second it goes off track, that slider is gonna dig and flip #RIP959. There's break-off sections on the pucks in case you hit a crack or something so you don't immediately shear the engine mounts and just the puck, but i'd imagine that there would still be damage to the casing, #RIP959.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any flipping?

Based on my install, I'd say sliding on uniform pavement, the Satos would work fine, might tip and grind down the tank a bit. Now, the second it goes off track, that slider is gonna dig and flip #RIP959. There's break-off sections on the pucks in case you hit a crack or something so you don't immediately shear the engine mounts and just the puck, but i'd imagine that there would still be damage to the casing, #RIP959.
It slid off the track, where it go airborne on the ripple strip and did some impressive flips. So cant realy say that the Sato sliders worked or not lol.

Ive always liked them and I would buy them, but not for the local price of them.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sent an email to Sato to see if they will sell me the left side slider without the right side.

https://www.satoracing.com/sliders_parts_lists/1199_enginesliders.pdf

The trex slider (which I currently have installed) covers the rear shock rebound adjustment screw. IMHO that really needs to be redesigned.

Update: Sato will sell the L side slider for $131. Making the purchase. Avoid T Rex if you plan on making rear suspension adjustments.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Received and installed the Sato left side engine slider.

So much nicer than the Trex and it allow full access to the suspension and shifter rod which are blocked by the Trex.

Outstanding product, highly recommended over the Trex.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just installed my Sato sliders this past weekend and they look great and the installation was easy. I did not purchase the additional suspension support bracket.

I hope to never use them! But they are cheap insurance against damage from a silly tipover and they don't spoil the look of the bike. Heck, they even look kind of nice. The components are very high quality in feel and look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts