Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a Yamaha R3 (320cc) which I can flat foot on one foot or touch my toes on both sides. I'm 5'4, and wear 30inch inseam jeans. The Yamaha is 780mm in seat height, and the 959 is 830mm, that's a 50mm height difference (2 inches). How tough would it be for me to ride a stock 959? It's been my dream bike ever since the 899 days, and I'm looking to get one in a couple of years time (I believe in setting goals). Maybe this comes off as another short rider thread, but I would really appreciate real owner feedback. How many of you are short riders?

I would prefer not to lower the bike, though getting a different seat is possibly my first preference and maybe adjust the sag?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You will probably be on the tips of your toes most of the time. The bike is pretty narrow so that might help out a little. It is a significantly heavier bike though compared to the R3 (I own an R3 as well), so paddling backwards might really suck for you. I'm 6'1" and moving the bike backwards out of my garage is a real *****. Leg day is important. Hehe. :(

Go sit on / ride one and see if you can live with it. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it work. :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have been forced to become somewhat of an expert in this area on account of my wife's bike. However, she's a beginner at 55 where the challenges are amplified. For her, the solutions are documented here:
Shortened Side Stand and Rear Suspension Lowering Kits - Page 3 - Honda CBR 300 Forum

For you, with a 30" inseam, You'll be still on the ball of both feet. With my 31" inseam, I'm practically flat-footed on the 959.
You're not a novice anymore and with experience comes confidence. I say you have no issues whatsoever.

I recently test rode a Hypermotard and had a hoot of a time although I was so tip-toe'd I might as well have been a ballerina. I had to get off to back-up but so what? I would not lower the suspension on your 959. Because of your lack of weight however, I would adjust the pre-load to its softest setting and perhaps consider a softer (not shorter) Ducati rear spring at a later date if need be.

Reactions: O_O

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently ride a Yamaha R3 (320cc) which I can flat foot on one foot or touch my toes on both sides. I'm 5'4, and wear 30inch inseam jeans. The Yamaha is 780mm in seat height, and the 959 is 830mm, that's a 50mm height difference (2 inches). How tough would it be for me to ride a stock 959? It's been my dream bike ever since the 899 days, and I'm looking to get one in a couple of years time (I believe in setting goals). Maybe this comes off as another short rider thread, but I would really appreciate real owner feedback. How many of you are short riders?

I would prefer not to lower the bike, though getting a different seat is possibly my first preference and maybe adjust the sag?
I'm 5'4, wear 29 inch inseam jeans, weigh about 155lbs. I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 at 855mm and the 959 at 830mm. With the R1 setup for the track, in full leathers and race boots where I can't point my toes, I can get the very tips of the racing boots on the ground, barely the ball of my foot on one side. It is a challenge. However, for the street, even riding very aggressively in the twisties, suspension set per the manual for full soft, in regular boots with a standard sole, I can get the balls of both feet down.

The Panigale is even easier. Setup for full soft, per the manual, the suspension compresses just enough, combined with an extremely narrow seat to easily get the balls of both feet on the ground. Wearing the same boots as above.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5'4, wear 29 inch inseam jeans, weigh about 155lbs. I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 at 855mm and the 959 at 830mm. With the R1 setup for the track, in full leathers and race boots where I can't point my toes, I can get the very tips of the racing boots on the ground, barely the ball of my foot on one side. It is a challenge. However, for the street, even riding very aggressively in the twisties, suspension set per the manual for full soft, in regular boots with a standard sole, I can get the balls of both feet down.

The Panigale is even easier. Setup for full soft, per the manual, the suspension compresses just enough, combined with an extremely narrow seat to easily get the balls of both feet on the ground. Wearing the same boots as above.
Thanks, that really clears it up for me. The problems with being vertically challenged.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been forced to become somewhat of an expert in this area on account of my wife's bike. However, she's a beginner at 55 where the challenges are amplified. For her, the solutions are documented here:
Shortened Side Stand and Rear Suspension Lowering Kits - Page 3 - Honda CBR 300 Forum

For you, with a 30" inseam, You'll be still on the ball of both feet. With my 31" inseam, I'm practically flat-footed on the 959.
You're not a novice anymore and with experience comes confidence. I say you have no issues whatsoever.

I recently test rode a Hypermotard and had a hoot of a time although I was so tip-toe'd I might as well have been a ballerina. I had to get off to back-up but so what? I would not lower the suspension on your 959. Because of your lack of weight however, I would adjust the pre-load to its softest setting and perhaps consider a softer (not shorter) Ducati rear spring at a later date if need be.
I'm not overly bothered about being on both feet. As long as I can be on one foot I'm comfortable. What you're saying makes me believe that's the case.
I don't lack for weight though (180lbs).
I'm getting used to getting off to back up which I already do up inclines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not overly bothered about being on both feet. As long as I can be on one foot I'm comfortable. What you're saying makes me believe that's the case.
I don't lack for weight though (180lbs).
I'm getting used to getting off to back up which I already do up inclines.
you shouldnt be as long as you have control with one you should be fine. 5'9" here with 28" inseam. I can flat foot one side fine. the bike is much more narrow than the yamahas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you shouldnt be as long as you have control with one you should be fine. 5'9" here with 28" inseam. I can flat foot one side fine. the bike is much more narrow than the yamahas.
My R3 feels like im sitting on a lazy boy in comparison.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My R3 feels like im sitting on a lazy boy in comparison.
Which one do you use to commute? If you bike to work. that is.

How different are the seat heights in terms of being able to reach your feet down?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Which one do you use to commute? If you bike to work. that is.

How different are the seat heights in terms of being able to reach your feet down?
I ride my 959 exclusively. To and from work, rain or shine. Everywhere I go, I go on my 959. I do not own a car. I rarely ride the R3. I keep it around in case my GF wants to go for a ride.

I'm 6'1" so feet down isn't an issue on either bike. My GF is 5'9" and she sits flat footed on both bikes as well. I don't really have any short friends. Sorry! :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ride my 959 exclusively. To and from work, rain or shine. Everywhere I go, I go on my 959. I do not own a car. I rarely ride the R3. I keep it around in case my GF wants to go for a ride.

I'm 6'1" so feet down isn't an issue on either bike. My GF is 5'9" and she sits flat footed on both bikes as well. I don't really have any short friends. Sorry! :(
I'm not even considering flatfooting, as far as I'm concerned touching one toe is a wine.

Off-topic, I see you're on the R3 forum as well. How was the move up?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not even considering flatfooting, as far as I'm concerned touching one toe is a wine.

Off-topic, I see you're on the R3 forum as well. How was the move up?
I never looked back. It goes without saying, but the 959 is in a completely different class of bike than the R3. The R3 is a great bike, but there really isn't any comparison.

I suppose it has a fuel gauge and gets better gas mileage. Soo theres that. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never looked back. It goes without saying, but the 959 is in a completely different class of bike than the R3. The R3 is a great bike, but there really isn't any comparison.

I suppose it has a fuel gauge and gets better gas mileage. Soo theres that. :)
Both very very good reasons to own one :wink2:
How was the move up from a small bike to something with all the power, i.e. if you started out with the R3.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Both very very good reasons to own one :wink2:
How was the move up from a small bike to something with all the power, i.e. if you started out with the R3.
I did start on the R3. I rode it for about 2 months, then decided to get the Ducati. Honestly, I would have been fine sticking with the R3, but I saw the 959 at Ducati Island during the MotoGP race at COTA and it just spoke to me. I had to have one.

There were really only two things that I needed to adjust to. The (proper) riding position, and the power.

At first I sat on the bike in such a way that my junk was against the tank and I had too much weight on my wrists. I had difficulty gripping the tank with my legs. After some time on the seat, I adjusted to the bike and now I feel really comfortable on it.

As far as power goes, I rode the bike for about a week in Wet Mode, which is still probably near 3x the power of the R3 before putting it in Sport Mode. The same day I switched, I went on a 2-3 hour ride, got home, and went into Race Mode. So in total, about a week or so to get used to the power. I still haven't changed any default settings, so in Race Mode it is set to 1-3-1.

It is all about control. I learned good throttle control on the R3, so it wasn't a huge adjustment when I got on the 959. (Yay Twist of the Wrist 2).

·
Registered
358 Posts
That ownership period of the R3 is much longer than what i've heard of Kawasaki ownership in the lower CC range which apparently doesn't last long!

Doesn't seem like low end Kawi's get as much love.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That ownership period of the R3 is much longer than what i've heard of Kawasaki ownership in the lower CC range which apparently doesn't last long!

Doesn't seem like low end Kawi's get as much love.
I've read/watched nothing but positive reviews for the baby Ninja. Most reviewers favor the R3, but not by much. I'd love to give one a spin to see how it compares, but the dealership here in Austin sucks and it isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If height is something I can buy, I would love to buy extra 3 inches. I am 5'6" with 29 inseam weighing 140 lbs, and I could not completely flatfoot 959. It is ok for riding but it was nerve wrecking in parking lot situations doing slow speed maneuvering especially if the surface was sloped. I shaved the seat down a little at a local upholstery shop which enabled me to flatfoot the bike and gave me a whole level of added confidence. With a little bit of extra padding in my boots, I can now even bend my knee a little during stops. Seat height was my main concern when I was considering 959, but I am so glad I overcame that problem. I am loving the bike so much.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts