Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
here they are rotated correctly so that you don't have to break your neck to look at them...
thanks dingo. much appreciated!
hopefully i get some answers today. I took the day off to get this figured out because there are no local dealers and no qualified repair shops that will touch it.

im not sure that the ducati dealers service centers are the best option. The techs don't seem to have any clue when it comes to something like this. I have been trying to find the shop Vic's959 had this work done at to get a little more backstory and possibly help me fix this issue without costing me 3500+ to make the bike STOCK again! Sometimes when everything seems too good to be true..... listen

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
@zazzels - I think I recall Vic being in Las Vegas to get the work done... don't quote me though

also, there's a reason why he parted the bike out... (again, I think that's what I recall he did)

·
Registered
31 Posts
@zazzels - I think I recall Vic being in Las Vegas to get the work done... don't quote me though

also, there's a reason why he parted the bike out... (again, I think that's what I recall he did)
@Dingo @Vic's 959
DO NOT DO THIS MOD TO YOUR BIKE!!!!!
everyone who had questioned this build... even the jerky lawyer.... you were ALL CORRECT... 100%. This bike is now trash and i have to part out and con some dealership to trade it in and act like there is no problem. And some new sucker can deal with this crap like i have had to... Vic is not the one who sold it to me... so he "didn't lie".... to me. but i am now stuck with the lie he traded in and the dealership LANE SPLITTER HARLEY of SAN JOSE (HORRIBLE DEALER AND SERVICE) just followed the lies they were told. I am now stuck with a ducati that really isn't safe and would NEVER be able to hit the track.
I also think its funny that Vic won't reply to me now when the problems come up and there is no real shop that did the actual work that i can fall back on. The alignment is still at least 1.5'' over to one side. The dealer i took it to today said its a bit hodge podge and almost declined working on it as well. after a full day off and 6 hours at the service department.... I'm still in the same spot i was before!!! just more broke and have an unsafe expensive paperweight. I hope anyone that was looking into this reads this.
Think about it like this....

Vic bought a brand new 959.... then right away puts $3500+ into it.... then immediately parts out and sells after the "project was complete"... he only had 4400 miles on it!!! lets just call it what it is.... Vic.... good try but this project is an EPIC FAIL. if there wasn't any problems by doing this.... the dealers would offer it.

AGAIN TO ANYONE READING.... DO NOT DO THIS MOD....

you WILL go broke or sell in the end...

Vic...
i know you didn't do this personally to me and you traded in to a harley dealer so they wouldn't ask questions... but you ended up costing me dearly... i may not even be able to ride this whole season as now i have to save to make up the massive loss i am going to take trying to get rid of it..... and i can't just act like i don't know there is an issue and screw someone --- i have to do it the right way.

I hope i can afford to remain a ducati owner but with this huge loss.... I'm not sure i can stay in the club. Thanks to everyone that helped or tried to help.

I hope karma comes around on her period....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe leave it overnight parked in Oakland?

Reactions: adrian7

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I feel extremely sad for you @zazzels - they say hindsight is 20/20, but I knew something was wrong when Vic was doing the build.

On the bright side, why don't you just get a stock swingarm, bits and get 'er back on the road?

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
AMS here in Dallas performed one of, if not THE, first conversion of this kind on a buddy of mine's 899. I know for a fact that they have seen Panigales in far worse condition than what yours seems to be.

I have wanted to suggest you calling them, but since you are not local, it likely be your last resort.

You may wish to speak to Jordan or Dan in their service department and explain exactly what you have put up here. They might be able to refer you to someone or provide some better insight than what you have already received.

They have rebuilt a couple of Superleggeras and were the ones to bring it to Ducati's attention that a recall was necessary on their clutches.

Let me know if you would like an introduction.

Reactions: zazzels and Dingo

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow. I never saw that coming.

Check the offset of the wheel, I remember Vic posted "real marchesini not the oem 1199 one" or something to that effect. Maybe the wheel is for a different ducati.

Im thinking it must be wheel/hub related if the chain and suspension linkage line up correctly. Maybe a missing spacer somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
AMS here in Dallas performed one of, if not THE, first conversion of this kind on a buddy of mine's 899. I know for a fact that they have seen Panigales in far worse condition than what yours seems to be.

I have wanted to suggest you calling them, but since you are not local, it likely be your last resort.

You may wish to speak to Jordan or Dan in their service department and explain exactly what you have put up here. They might be able to refer you to someone or provide some better insight than what you have already received.

They have rebuilt a couple of Superleggeras and were the ones to bring it to Ducati's attention that a recall was necessary on their clutches.

Let me know if you would like an introduction.
Thank you for your help.... i am at that last resort so i will give them a shout... unfortunatly i dont have the extra cash laying around to have everything just fixed without stressing for the next 2 years of paying it off just to be what it SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
Much appreciated on this info. I will see if i can give them a shout soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow. I never saw that coming.

Check the offset of the wheel, I remember Vic posted "real marchesini not the oem 1199 one" or something to that effect. Maybe the wheel is for a different ducati.

Im thinking it must be wheel/hub related if the chain and suspension linkage line up correctly. Maybe a missing spacer somewhere?
I thought the same thing.... they are real Marchesini Wheels.... different from the classic 1299 wheel design... but same size and all. I have taken to 3 different ducati dealer service departments with this same issue... trying to get some kind of answers... even if they are bad answers that i dont want to hear.... and nothing...

i cant find a service department around that really knows what they are doing rather than just simple oil changes.... no one really seems to have the knowledge of how things work or need to be. I dont as well.... but i dont get paid to be a proffesional ducati service tech... i thought the brand would have more qualified tech's for the price you pay. You seem to get the same Vespa tech working on your ducati but charging twice on the labor.

Thanks agin for all the help and getting the word out that this project should NEVER be done if you ever want to go to the track or ride on long distance freeway rides.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel extremely sad for you @zazzels - they say hindsight is 20/20, but I knew something was wrong when Vic was doing the build.

On the bright side, why don't you just get a stock swingarm, bits and get 'er back on the road?
Great question....
i thought thats what i was doing yesterday.... i asked them to tell me if it was adjustable/fixable and if NOT.... what would be the price to redo EVERYTHING.... it was over 3800 just to bring the bike BACK TO STOCK!!!! and thats with some low grade service department so i dont have much faith in that either. Plus i dont just have bags of money sitting around to fix things that have already paid for to be perfect. In the end... i am going to take a HUGE 5k+ loss on this deal no matter how i slice it.

The best part.....
I tried to fire up te bike today to ride in to work and just see how much better the ride is after adjusting......
Now the shifter is out of place due to the adjustments and i couldnt shift to NEUTRAL and now the quickshifter was ramming into the swingarm and has a large gash in the metal. I had to walk the bike home from the 3 blocks away !!!!!!!! and was late for work.
This has been a huge ghtmare from day 1.

I just wish people were honest.... if your project is a failure.... dont lie and screw someone else. I cant afford to fix this mistake and now i may not have a bike to ride at all.

From a Ducati to a 10 speed..... and broke to top it all off

·
Registered
63 Posts
So sorry to hear your bad experience with the conversion. My advice to you would be to Lawyer Up. Surely if you feel that you were lied to when you made the purchase, you may have a case. Specially that this has some safety issues. I don't think you can blame or go after vic's959 but you may have a case against the dealership that sold it to you. At least ask to have them get it back to original. It doesn't seem to be a lot of $$$ ($5K + loss of income + lawyer fees is a drop in a bucket for a HD dealership) so maybe you can settle. If you are successful, then at least you get to keep the bike and get it back to working condition. Anyways, good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Vic's complete silence is pretty questionable.

What did the dealership say when you purchased this bike? Did they know it was a project bike? Did they warn you there may be issues because of the modifications? Did you know it was vic's959 before you purchased it? I think you have a serious case, at least against the dealership and they possibly have one against Vic depending on the details of the transaction. Did they say anything about the manufacturer's warranty when you purchased it?

It's really dishonest on both of their parts unless it was fully disclosed to you that there could be major problems with the bike.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I don't take sides here but I think there is little to no disclosure required of the *possibility* of underlying problems in any non-stock used bike; it's inherent...

If I bought a used Chevy Cruz from a Chevy dealer that the last owner had put a Corvette engine into...

Regardless, he signed a form stating that there was no warranty from the dealer on his used bike. That doesn't mean there is no warranty, it just means not from the dealer... The bike should still be under warranty too, just not the affected components.

I wish you the best man, but I don't see you winning here by any meaning of the word.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
If you look at Vic's profile, he still visits the board regularly... last on the 12th I believe.

I also pm'd him on the 6th and he replied to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you look at Vic's profile, he still visits the board regularly... last on the 12th I believe.

I also pm'd him on the 6th and he replied to me.
Exactly my point, that's she shady part.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So sorry to hear your bad experience with the conversion. My advice to you would be to Lawyer Up. Surely if you feel that you were lied to when you made the purchase, you may have a case. Specially that this has some safety issues. I don't think you can blame or go after vic's959 but you may have a case against the dealership that sold it to you. At least ask to have them get it back to original. It doesn't seem to be a lot of $$$ ($5K + loss of income + lawyer fees is a drop in a bucket for a HD dealership) so maybe you can settle. If you are successful, then at least you get to keep the bike and get it back to working condition. Anyways, good luck.
thank you all. i appreciate the help and words of encouragement.

I dont blame Vic at all.
i actually think its awesome to go for a project like that where everyone wants it anyways...and in all honesty...why don't they offer it? And i give him major credit for going at it hard. and trust me when i say that this thing LOOKS AWSOME. the most beautiful 959 ever...in my opinion. but the dealership sold it all based on this info and really had nothing checked out or knew what they were doing...it was a harley dealership. But they did say it was all checked out and had "warranty" and that all the work was done perfect and good to go.

I contacted the dealership i purchased from today and finally spoke with a real manager and gave him my story...it helped that there was a major glitch in the paperwork and somehow they never registered the bike or confirmed insurance so the registration shows suspended!!
I asked if they can pay for what it takes for a reputable ducati dealer to make the bike stock again. or i can bring the bike back and we can act like this didn't happen and i will take the loss on parts and issues i have already paid for.

we will see what happens... ill keep you all posted.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts