Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you look at Vic's profile, he still visits the board regularly... last on the 12th I believe.

I also pm'd him on the 6th and he replied to me.
i saw that as well... i wasn't able to PM in his defense as i was still a new user. but i left messages on his profile page and also linked to this thread.
I have now been able to PM so i hope he can just help me with a little info to make this all better.

i dont blame vic at all. i think the project was an awesome idea. just didn't work out and i got stuck with it and was sold as everything was checked out and 100% good to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't take sides here but I think there is little to no disclosure required of the *possibility* of underlying problems in any non-stock used bike; it's inherent...

If I bought a used Chevy Cruz from a Chevy dealer that the last owner had put a Corvette engine into...

Regardless, he signed a form stating that there was no warranty from the dealer on his used bike. That doesn't mean there is no warranty, it just means not from the dealer... The bike should still be under warranty too, just not the affected components.

I wish you the best man, but I don't see you winning here by any meaning of the word.
I totally hear you on that and i do take responsibility for not asking more questions and knowing more about it ....checking alignment .....and maybe getting more in writing about the upgrades.
I understood it was a Harley Dealership when i made the purchase but when you hear that it has been "CERTIFIED" and "INSPECTED" and also that the dealer has overall good reviews and sold other used sport bikes and toys.

I thought if something wasn't really "Road Safe"... by purchasing from a dealer (used or not) rather than privately....then i was "Safe". And i was wrong this time on that. And i have learned a lot from it at my expense.

But yes... my lack of knowledge due to being a newer rider in general... got me on this one and that is my fault 100%

·
Registered
119 Posts
So sorry to hear your bad experience with the conversion. My advice to you would be to Lawyer Up. Surely if you feel that you were lied to when you made the purchase, you may have a case. Specially that this has some safety issues. I don't think you can blame or go after vic's959 but you may have a case against the dealership that sold it to you. At least ask to have them get it back to original. It doesn't seem to be a lot of $$$ ($5K + loss of income + lawyer fees is a drop in a bucket for a HD dealership) so maybe you can settle. If you are successful, then at least you get to keep the bike and get it back to working condition. Anyways, good luck.
thank you all. i appreciate the help and words of encouragement.

I dont blame Vic at all.
i actually think its awesome to go for a project like that where everyone wants it anyways...and in all honesty...why don't they offer it? And i give him major credit for going at it hard. and trust me when i say that this thing LOOKS AWSOME. the most beautiful 959 ever...in my opinion. but the dealership sold it all based on this info and really had nothing checked out or knew what they were doing...it was a harley dealership. But they did say it was all checked out and had "warranty" and that all the work was done perfect and good to go.

I contacted the dealership i purchased from today and finally spoke with a real manager and gave him my story...it helped that there was a major glitch in the paperwork and somehow they never registered the bike or confirmed insurance so the registration shows suspended!!
I asked if they can pay for what it takes for a reputable ducati dealer to make the bike stock again. or i can bring the bike back and we can act like this didn't happen and i will take the loss on parts and issues i have already paid for.

we will see what happens... ill keep you all posted.
If they are willing to take the bike back and you eat the loss on what you've paid to date they know they have some liability at least. Push a little harder and you'll get whatever real fixes you've had to pay for and then some. Anything you've paid to that dealership should be back in your pocket at least, don't know if you got anything else from them.

Give them the bike back, don't even think about having them restore it. Walk away and get something new that you want. Don't take that chance. The bike is essentially salvage now.

I couldn't be happier for you that this seems to have worked out. Maybe you couldn't PM, but I really doubt Vic hasn't seen any of this thread. He could have messaged you if he gave a ****.

Take that bike back as fast as you can and keep us informed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it were you and you had spent tens of thousands on a bike that was salvage why in the **** would buying more parts even cross your mind???

Cut your losses, minimize what they are, and move on as fast as you can.

I'm sorry, but the poor guy essentially got scammed. It could happen to anyone. I don't know what he paid, but several on this board earlier in this thread said they would have paid a huge amount to have that bike. They chased a couple of doubters out of the forum!

Let's just hope Zazzles gets most of his money back. If it were me, I'd go so hard against the person that built it if they passed it off as normal to the HD dealership.

Can you imagine what you would do if that happened to you?

I don't know Zazzles, but I'd go to bat for the end buyer of that garbage in a second. The only thing that would change that is if he knew EXACTLY what he was buying.

there is a complete rear swing arm on ebay for 379, and a couple rear wheels and tires for 400ish. havent looked for shocks or other parts. This may help.

DB

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Maybe you couldn't PM, but I really doubt Vic hasn't seen any of this thread. He could have messaged you if he gave a ****.

This.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Certianly I would be all over the dealer who sold the bike, especially if it was sold as inspected, certified or something of that nature. If it ends ups stuck with it then a used swingarm and wheels ot get back to stock is better that $3800 in bills. Have to look at all possibilities

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it were you and you had spent tens of thousands on a bike that was salvage why in the **** would buying more parts even cross your mind???

Cut your losses, minimize what they are, and move on as fast as you can.

I'm sorry, but the poor guy essentially got scammed. It could happen to anyone. I don't know what he paid, but several on this board earlier in this thread said they would have paid a huge amount to have that bike. They chased a couple of doubters out of the forum!

Let's just hope Zazzles gets most of his money back. If it were me, I'd go so hard against the person that built it if they passed it off as normal to the HD dealership.

Can you imagine what you would do if that happened to you?

I don't know Zazzles, but I'd go to bat for the end buyer of that garbage in a second. The only thing that would change that is if he knew EXACTLY what he was buying.
@TVGuy
thank you! The issues i am talking about in here have only scratched the surface on the dealer problems and issues i have had on this bike. I have only owned it since the begining of october and we just were in the cold rainy season. I was looking forward to some track days and some bike nights coming up. I agree that getting rid of it completly is the right thing to do..... im just not sure that is an offer yet. I hopefully will get some additional answers today. Unfortunatly all my freinds ride harleys and i am a newer rider so i just didnt have enough experience to know better. I also asked if i can have someone come take a look at the bike.... the salesman told me that it had gone through inspection and been certified for problems by their shop. Its unfortunate and i have learned alot from it.... and above all.... when something seems to good to be true.... it probably is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Certianly I would be all over the dealer who sold the bike, especially if it was cold as inspected, certified or something of that nature. If it ends ups stuck with it then a used swingarm and wheels ot get back to stock is better that $3800 in bills. Have to look at all possibilities
right...
at this point its a paperweight in the garage... so anything is better than my current situation.

Thanks again for all the help in here!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am curious regarding the front end alignment... if you can find someone with a Panigale (899, 959, 1199, 1299, cast or forged, aftermarket, stock, doesn't matter) and see if you can briefly swap to do the string test. If the wheel straightens then you can eliminate half the problem right there and see if the HD dealer will pay for a new wheel. If not, you will have plenty more ammunition to talk to the GM with.

I couldn't tell what alignment issues you are having with the conversion, but if that fixes your stability issues, then you might be ok, however at this point, how you proceed from there would be up to you.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I was assuming it was the rear that was out of sync due to the SSSA installation. Had the bike been wrecked? Also, you mentioned the deal being "too good to be sure", do you mind sharing what you payed for it? Sorry if these are repeat questions

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was assuming it was the rear that was out of sync due to the SSSA installation. Had the bike been wrecked? Also, you mentioned the deal being "too good to be sure", do you mind sharing what you payed for it? Sorry if these are repeat questions
I was told the bike was never wrecked and parts were professionally installed and i had "nothing to worry about". i payed 14000 for it and i was jumping up and down like i hit the lotto. All other bikes i was looking at were 16-17k so this seemed like a steel. and overall was the most beautiful 959 i had ever seen. He also had all the upgrade that i would have done already done (for the most part).
unfortunatly i am out of funds to keep trying to take it in and have it looked at and adjusted.... its $120.00 approx just to have them look at it... i also dont have a truck or trailer so i have to rent and barrow all that so its a huge ordeal. I also work all week so i only have satudays really to get anything done.
Sorry for the pitty party all.
thanks again for the help.

Still no call back from the dealer today.... go figure.
Im going to try and call again shortly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am curious regarding the front end alignment... if you can find someone with a Panigale (899, 959, 1199, 1299, cast or forged, aftermarket, stock, doesn't matter) and see if you can briefly swap to do the string test. If the wheel straightens then you can eliminate half the problem right there and see if the HD dealer will pay for a new wheel. If not, you will have plenty more ammunition to talk to the GM with.

I couldn't tell what alignment issues you are having with the conversion, but if that fixes your stability issues, then you might be ok, however at this point, how you proceed from there would be up to you.
unfortunatly the shops i have gone to just dont seem to be that knowledgable other than basic service issues. This whole thing blowws their minds and they tinker with it all day as i sit and wait and leave upset. Unfortunatly all my buddies ride hogs so they are of no help and dont know anything about street bikes. Im sure it i had a good buddy that owned a shop.. this would be so simple...well kinda.

Would if i could.... and im out of cash to keep trying now things at this point... dealers have even recomended getting rid of it because they cant figure it out.
The front is straight as can be.... its the rear that seems to be off to the left over an 1'' still.... and now arfter they tried adjusting the last time.... i cant shift into neutral and have to trailer the bike back in.
it just keep going unfortuntly.

no calls back from the manager at dealership AGAIN...
going to try again shortly.

the BAR is my next route.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
@zazzels - it's too bad you're waaay up in Stockton - the shop that services my bike would be able to tell you in 2 hours or less I'm sure - Superbike Corse
give them a call and speak to James, perhaps you can work something out with him since the bike is collecting dust as a doorstop right now

·
Registered
31 Posts
@zazzels - it's too bad you're waaay up in Stockton - the shop that services my bike would be able to tell you in 2 hours or less I'm sure - Superbike Corse
give them a call and speak to James, perhaps you can work something out with him since the bike is collecting dust as a doorstop right now
i was able to get ahold of the manager again.... i am bringing the bike back to the dealership today. they are going to look at it and at the moment... "make things right"... i don't know what that means yet but it really helped that they messed u on paperwork and vic had a suspended registration... so the dealership never had the full title when they sold it to me... it just keeps getting better!

so at the moment i will be loading up to take the bike back in and leave in their possession. Hopefully that gets the ball rolling... just want my money back at this point

·
Registered
439 Posts
i was able to get ahold of the manager again.... i am bringing the bike back to the dealership today. they are going to look at it and at the moment... "make things right"... i don't know what that means yet but it really helped that they messed u on paperwork and vic had a suspended registration... so the dealership never had the full title when they sold it to me... it just keeps getting better!

so at the moment i will be loading up to take the bike back in and leave in their possession. Hopefully that gets the ball rolling... just want my money back at this point

They could very well be liable for the money that you have spent on the bike since you took possession since it wasn't rightfully theirs to sell to you in the first place. Also, your time and expense of transporting it. They might offer you cash back or a replacement from their inventory.

They would also be responsible for the difference if you were to have found someone willing to purchase it for more than what you paid for it as a result of their breach of contract, your funds in consideration for the clear title of a valuable, relatively unique bike.

It is possible that they are aware they are in deep...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you're on the way to a resolution.

They'll probably be stumped too. The best way to really figure this out is take it all apart and start measuring. Essentially starting all over. And they'd probably need stock parts, or another 959, for reference.

I bet they'll cut their losses, buy it back then auction it off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If they couldn't transfer title, does that mean this heap is going to be shoved back down Vic's throat by the dealership? Interesting if so. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership tries to go after him either. Not sure if they have a case, but who knows the exact details of the transaction.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

The plot thickens! You're in the clear and should get your money back spent on the bike plus what you spent to have other shops check it out - if the dealership wasn't secured to sell the bike in the first place!

Keep us posted - it seems this is turning into a draw for you... let's hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
The plot thickens! You're in the clear and should get your money back spent on the bike plus what you spent to have other shops check it out - if the dealership wasn't secured to sell the bike in the first place!

Keep us posted - it seems this is turning into a draw for you... let's hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks all for the helpful advice and opinions. makes me think I'm not so crazy and just angry or something.
Good news is that the dealership was very helpful and responsive now that i was finally able to get in front of a real manager. I believe they know there is something deeper that is wrong with paperwork on their end so they are being very helpful at the moment. I am not sure if Vic was the reason for the title error or if the dealer was honestly. they didn't give me the exact details of what went wrong but just assured that it "will all be better "..police said it shows suspended registration due to lack of insurance proof....dealer said it had to do with "previous owner" title transfer problem. Could i probably push and get a bike out of this or extra money..probably... but in the end i know there is a price to play and i just want what i thought i was paying for and to make sure it can make it on a track if i was to get a track day in safely.
The manager that is taking on the project had many years of experience in racing and Harleys as well... he was able to fix the gear issue that i had (from the previous ducati service trying to help align it last weekend) in a few minutes. It looked like it was going to be in good hands and he assured me it was his project and his daily mission to get that bike lined up at least and qualified to spec. Not by the harley dealership alone but also the local ducati dealership and sport bike tune shop among other resources. so we left at that and we will see this week what happens. I hope for the best and that the worst is behind me.

I'm sure if i had some close friends with legal backgrounds that where around i could make this a big deal. but I'm not about punishing.. i just want to make it right..

Also to Vic.. I'm sorry if i don't have the info correct. I do understand the dealer could be feeding me crap and don't want to highlight their mistakes as i feel i have the upper hand here for sure. The bike is still amazing looking and runs like a champ. Its a real head turner... so if the can get that lined up... i will be happy.

I hate to guess at your story and you may have valid reasons for everything so please chime in and let us know you side if you see this.

thanks all

141 - 160 of 177 Posts