1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GPS was indicating 100 KPH while the Speedo was reading 105 KPH.:nerd:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ex Post.
The owner's manual states the following: The instrument panel receives information about the actual vehicle speed (calculated in km/h) and displays the value increased by 5% and converted in the set unit of measurement (mph or km/h).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
yeah... I guess they increase it so that they(Ducati) hopes and "think" we'll go slower

doesn't work for me >:)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
That is right on the money, 5% error. I checked mine against GPS and it was off by 3 mph at 60, and 4 mph at 80 mph, reading high.

This is nothing new, almost all manufacturers speedometers are off and they typically get very optimistic at high speeds.

Every bike I own is different and I have a correction chart I glance at before going riding, also gearing and tire wear obviously play a big part in accuracy.

The biggest spread at 70 MPH is between my 2012 CBR 1000RR that reads 2 mph low at that speed and my 2009 ZX-6R that reads 5 mph too high. That's a 7 mph spread between the two and could catch you off guard if you're riding anywhere near the limit entering a sharp corner. Best to develop a good sense of speed as a backup plan. Studies have shown MotoGP riders can enter a corner time after time within 1-2 mph without a speedometer reference.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
...Studies have shown MotoGP riders can enter a corner time after time within 1-2 mph without a speedometer reference.
That's right... get to know the sound of your engine at X RPM, and the feel through the grips.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yea, I can definitely tell if I'm going to o fast or too slow for a given corner strictly by visual cues, the human brain is a remarkably adaptive unit.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Interesting last few comments. I've never looked at it that way. I've always adjusted my corner entry speed by feel. The only time I really look at the speedo is when I'm riding through town. The 1199 panel is set to tach mode and displays no speed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
At least it's a good problem to have which might prevent some people from getting a ticket for speeding or have speeding be the gateway for a cop to pull you over and do some further digging in for what ever they can find on you!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Interesting last few comments. I've never looked at it that way. I've always adjusted my corner entry speed by feel. The only time I really look at the speedo is when I'm riding through town. The 1199 panel is set to tach mode and displays no speed.

Hi Dougo1199, I guess an explanation is in order. Here in Tejas, we have posted "suggested" corner speeds on all of our Farm/Market roads. As a general rule they are very conservative and if you are on a strange road and can handle a sportbike well, 2X posted speed is easily doable and shouldn't catch you out with a decreasing radius bend to ruin your day. On most corners, 2X+10 MPH is fine once you've done the corner a few times and can pick up on the corner entry cues and many can be taken even faster once you're sure there are no surprises lurking. This is why while doing "spirited riding", I like to have accurate speedo information before charging into a corner I don't know. If I'm just out for a joy ride, then accurate speed information is not that important, as speed goes up though, the correct line narrows dramatically with small increases in speed.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Hi Dougo1199, I guess an explanation is in order. Here in Tejas, we have posted "suggested" corner speeds on all of our Farm/Market roads. As a general rule they are very conservative and if you are on a strange road and can handle a sportbike well, 2X posted speed is easily doable and shouldn't catch you out with a decreasing radius bend to ruin your day. On most corners, 2X+10 MPH is fine once you've done the corner a few times and can pick up on the corner entry cues and many can be taken even faster once you're sure there are no surprises lurking. This is why while doing "spirited riding", I like to have accurate speedo information before charging into a corner I don't know. If I'm just out for a joy ride, then accurate speed information is not that important, as speed goes up though, the correct line narrows dramatically with small increases in speed.
I'm with ya now, Kruz! Sorry, I didn't even think about the posted 'corner' speeds. I do the same thing, 2X the posted speed is usually a safe bet. It's been a while since I've ventured off my set route! lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts