Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue?

On Saturday riding in the rain in the city I went to change down from 3rd to 1st and the gear lever seemed to jam at the bottom of its stroke. Only way forward was to upshift back to 3rd and then it worked OK all the way down to 1st.
Again yesterday same thing. It was raining again quite hard so I don't know if it is water related or just a coincidence. It was OK today so it cant be a broken spring or similar. It is not happening enough to take it to the shop yet. It does seem odd though.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
How could the rain be causing the issue?
Can you define "jam at the bottom of its stroke"? A jam is more like it's stuck and doesn't move again...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its like when you push down normally the gear lever comes back up so you can depress it again to go down another gear. When this happens on my bike you push down with your foot but the lever stays at the bottom of its travel. You have to push it back up with the top of your foot. The rain thing is clutching at straws I know but odd both times it did it the bike was very wet.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I would look thru all the mechanics and see if somewhere, something is binding - perhaps its something as simple as debris... hopefully its not worse like the gear change mechanism

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't ride in the rain but I have been having a problem with my gear lever too. The shifter will pass right by Natural even as I go from 1st to 2nd and back from 2nd to 1st. I'm seating at a light trying to find N and it will not engage. (or disengage depending on how you look at it)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't ride in the rain but I have been having a problem with my gear lever too. The shifter will pass right by Natural even as I go from 1st to 2nd and back from 2nd to 1st. I'm seating at a light trying to find N and it will not engage. (or disengage depending on how you look at it)
I've had difficulties with neutral on a recently ridden Monster 821 demo but not with my 959. Neutral is super easy to find even when lightly pressing down from second to be in neutral at the traffic light.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've had difficulties with neutral on a recently ridden Monster 821 demo but not with my 959. Neutral is super easy to find even when lightly pressing down from second to be in neutral at the traffic light.
It's the strangest thing. I press down light and nothing happens. So I press a little more and a little more then POP, right past N and into 1st or 2nd when I try it again. Again this isn't all the time but just from time to time.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's the strangest thing. I press down light and nothing happens. So I press a little more and a little more then POP, right past N and into 1st or 2nd when I try it again. Again this isn't all the time but just from time to time.
This is disconcerting. Is it improving or deterioration as you add mileage?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone else had this issue?

On Saturday riding in the rain in the city I went to change down from 3rd to 1st and the gear lever seemed to jam at the bottom of its stroke. Only way forward was to upshift back to 3rd and then it worked OK all the way down to 1st.
Again yesterday same thing. It was raining again quite hard so I don't know if it is water related or just a coincidence. It was OK today so it cant be a broken spring or similar. It is not happening enough to take it to the shop yet. It does seem odd though.
Are you engine braking?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This happens to me once in awhile. I almost always run it down to 1st then tick up to N. Sometimes, I need to go from 2nd to N. It's a tough shift to be sure. With the way Ducati has set up the new wet slipper clutch vs gearing mechanism, the shifting is extremely sensitive. I've worn my SIDI Gas shoes on every ride except 2, when I wore my race boots. I need the feel the shoes provide in order to make clean and confident shifts. I'll eventually get used to the boots, but for now I have to be able to get that tactile sensation or I'll skip or hang on gears.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This happens to me once in awhile. I almost always run it down to 1st then tick up to N. Sometimes, I need to go from 2nd to N. It's a tough shift to be sure. With the way Ducati has set up the new wet slipper clutch vs gearing mechanism, the shifting is extremely sensitive. I've worn my SIDI Gas shoes on every ride except 2, when I wore my race boots. I need the feel the shoes provide in order to make clean and confident shifts. I'll eventually get used to the boots, but for now I have to be able to get that tactile sensation or I'll skip or hang on gears.
I know exactly the feeling. My SIDI Mythos shoes are super comfortable, pliant and palpable. I can never find a good reason to use my SIDI Vertigo boots because of the stiffness which makes it harder to feel the shift.

Reactions: NYCman

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know exactly the feeling. My SIDI Mythos shoes are super comfortable, pliant and palpable. I can never find a good reason to use my SIDI Vertigo boots because of the stiffness which makes it harder to feel the shift.
True dat. I want to get used to my boots on this bike, but the toe of the boot is like a ski boot. It's so well protected that I can't tell what's going on. I have to look down to see what happened. I've gone from first to third, fourth to second, and missed gears completely with the boots on. Well, practice makes perfect, I guess. Just not on the public roads. :wink2:

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
56 Posts
I seem to be having an issue shifting up. Where occasionally the shift lever seems to get stuck after up shifting. So I go to kick to the next gear and the lever hasn't come back to the natural resting point.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I seem to be having an issue shifting up. Where occasionally the shift lever seems to get stuck after up shifting. So I go to kick to the next gear and the lever hasn't come back to the natural resting point.
Are you using quick-shift or clutch?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Went for a ride today and had the same problem finding Neutral again. Mainly when it was cold, just starting. So I adjusted the clutch lever and that helped. One problem was after the bike was warmed up I had to adjust the clutch back. After the bike was all warmed up and I had been riding hard for about 30 miles the bike got stuck in 3rd gear. I couldn't shift down. After slowing way way down. I was finally able to get it into 1st and pull over. Again I couldn't find N and had to just kill the bike. I let it cool down for about 10 min and the problem seemed to go away. Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
@MileyCyrus - are you kicking it Up hard enough to engage or are you half-***'ing it?

I half-***'ed it a couple times just being lazy and almost like clockwork can replicate a miss gear shift. It's mechanical, you still gotta give it your all!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts