Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the stock brake pads and fluid on the track? Never tracked a bike before, so not sure if these superbikes are ready to hit the track out of the box. I had to swap out the stock pads/fluid for my car.

Also, any other recommended fluids/parts to change out? I've heard of people swapping the coolant. I imagine the stock tires are good, as long as they have the necessary tread.

Just signed up for a couple California Superbike School classes! Is it May yet...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not that good. Depending on your pace you might not get through the day if they have mileage on them already. My bike as a tad over 6K miles and I did 2 track days. Pads are shot and I need to replace them - I've been talked into getting SBS pads (instead of EBC) the 900 DS I'm going to get from Ducati Omaha
I also just replaced the coolant with Supercool/Water Wetter
tomorrow I'll be out for the first ride with it in - I'll post back my thoughts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not that good. Depending on your pace you might not get through the day if they have mileage on them already. My bike as a tad over 6K miles and I did 2 track days. Pads are shot and I need to replace them - I've been talked into getting SBS pads (instead of EBC) the 900 DS I'm going to get from Ducati Omaha
I also just replaced the coolant with Supercool/Water Wetter
tomorrow I'll be out for the first ride with it in - I'll post back my thoughts
Good to know about the pads. As I said, my first two times on the track will be through the CSS, so I probably won't be that hard on them. Will obviously need to judge based on how many miles I put on the bike between now and then, but the bike is brand new.

Why are you going with the DS pads instead of the HS pads? Their spiderweb graphs are identical except you get one more tick for Hot Performance with the DS pads. Is that one extra tick worth $100 extra PER pad? I'm sure me as a newbie wouldn't tell the difference, but still curious :)

So no issues on the brake fluid end?

Will need to look more into this engine coolant topic. Seems like there are a ton of threads on it. Is that mixture that you linked something that you could run on year round (track and street), or is it for track only?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Ok I missed that part about the school, in that case no use in changing them just yet.

The DS pads will likely last 3 times as long as any other, so I’m told, and still have braking power. HS is basically the same as our stock pads. If the DS is too pricey then go with the RS which is a step above the stock pads. I’m afraid I won’t get enough heat in the DC pad while riding in the street with them, it’s a track pad.

Brake fluid has been changed twice since I bought the bike. After each track day.

I would read the label on the temp guidelines of Supercool - it’s riding weather year round out here in Southern California so it should drop anywhere from 5-10 degrees off the engine. It’s not about street or track, it’s about removing the heat from the engine efficiently, more efficiently than regular antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I missed that part about the school, in that case no use in changing them just yet.

The DS pads will likely last 3 times as long as any other, so I’m told, and still have braking power. HS is basically the same as our stock pads. If the DS is too pricey then go with the RS which is a step above the stock pads. I’m afraid I won’t get enough heat in the DC pad while riding in the street with them, it’s a track pad.

Brake fluid has been changed twice since I bought the bike. After each track day.

I would read the label on the temp guidelines of Supercool - it’s riding weather year round out here in Southern California so it should drop anywhere from 5-10 degrees off the engine. It’s not about street or track, it’s about removing the heat from the engine efficiently, more efficiently than regular antifreeze.

Don't mind paying the extra money for the pads if it's worth it. I was just confused by the spider graphs because they make it look like there is barely any difference. If there was one thing I learned from tracking my car, it was not to skimp on brakes :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Exactly! Brakes are the single most import item that most overlook...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dingo,
I'd love to hear more about your experience with Supercool with Water Wetter. Within a few months I'll be in CA as well, and most likely on a 1299.
With the SoCal climate in mind, I can't really think of any downsides - have you experienced or heard of any? How much less heat are you seeing (engine temp) and feeling - especially from cylinder heads?
If not here then maybe a new thread or PM so we don't jack this thread too much. lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
adrian7 said:
Dingo, I'd love to hear more about your experience with Supercool with Water Wetter.../QUOTE]

My first ride with it in I noticed the more I twisted the throttle the lower the engine temp went!!! I thought I was seeing things! I haven’t used it since my last bike over 15 years ago, it’s gotten sooo much better of a product! The average engine temp was 198F, down quite a bit from usual. There no reason Not to use it!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
adrian7 said:
Dingo, I'd love to hear more about your experience with Supercool with Water Wetter.../QUOTE]

My first ride with it in I noticed the more I twisted the throttle the lower the engine temp went!!! I thought I was seeing things! I haven’t used it since my last bike over 15 years ago, it’s gotten sooo much better of a product! The average engine temp was 198F, down quite a bit from usual. There no reason Not to use it!!!

Awesome, happy to hear it. I saw the results they got on the 959 "build" on jaretcampisi's youtube and I was like wow.
I believe it would suck in states like PA though, because you would have to take it out when it get's cold, right?
But in SoCal I figure we're golden. I will definitely be adding that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can run any coolant year-round and any additives (eg. alcohol, Water Wetter, etc.) will improve thermal performance and corrosion resistance, but if your bike's environment is not controlled to be above freezing, you'll need anti-freeze.

Some tracks require no anti-freeze in your coolant, so there's that too.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I've been using the following Pads CL C60 / Track - XBK5 / Street, and Motul 600 fluid for both applications.

Attachments

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
24 Posts

I went with the HS pads because my 959 is being used 90% for street riding and 10% track riding. You are correct in saying the DS pads will stuggle to heat up in normal street riding conditions especially in the rain which tends to catch me off guard every now and then. The HS pads survive track abuse better than the OEM pads though, so thats a win in my book! The OEM pads sloughed right off onto my disks and glazed them nice and spotty after a single track day. The SBS HS pads have done no such thing and are still performing strong.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It’s the DC pad - the carbon pad that I mentioned I probably wouldn’t heat up enough on the street...
I ordered the DS pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts