Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Panigale 959 base model (not corse) comes with a SACHs rear shock with a progressive spring.

I had to remove almost all the preload to give me some decent static sag (8-12 mm). This has made the rear squishy and I am trying to compensate with increased compression damping (1.25 turns out) because I am using all the travel in the rear. This compensation has made the rear feel "weird" but it rides okay.

I would like to replace the rear shock spring with one that is linear and matches my weight/riding ability (165 pounds and decently quick around the track). Thinking about a 80N/mm linear spring

Anybody else make any modifications to the rear stock shock? New spring, different weight oil, new valving? Screw it and switch to TTX?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't modded my suspension yet but been looking to upgrading it on my wish list. I weigh 190lbs 5' 11" with my race suit on 200-210lbs boots and all. I had my suspension adjusted and it helped a little but I am close to Maxing it out not sure how you at 165lbs have achieved the same but go to a good suspension guy to make sure but like you I have good track experience I am Novice with 9 track days this year and looking for more next year hoping to get bumped up to Intermediate next session out but everyone tells me invest in suspension and wheels light wheels SECONDS off of your time....way more then any exhaust will do for you especially when you run a fast pace in your group as is all you need for the next level and ofcourse keep sharpening your skills...which I listen and plan on doing good luck keep me posted on how things go I am looking to follow your lead if I dont do it 1st...EXPENSIVE...$1300 for the cratridges Ohlins, or 2300 for complete Olhins Forks, $1300 for Olhins Rear shock so from $2600-$3600...not a cheap investment but I sure it's worth it I love my 959 good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't modded my suspension yet but been looking to upgrading it on my wish list. I weigh 190lbs 5' 11" with my race suit on 200-210lbs boots and all. I had my suspension adjusted and it helped a little but I am close to Maxing it out not sure how you at 165lbs have achieved the same but go to a good suspension guy to make sure but like you I have good track experience I am Novice with 9 track days this year and looking for more next year hoping to get bumped up to Intermediate next session out but everyone tells me invest in suspension and wheels light wheels SECONDS off of your time....way more then any exhaust will do for you especially when you run a fast pace in your group as is all you need for the next level and ofcourse keep sharpening your skills...which I listen and plan on doing good luck keep me posted on how things go I am looking to follow your lead if I dont do it 1st...EXPENSIVE...$1300 for the cratridges Ohlins, or 2300 for complete Olhins Forks, $1300 for Olhins Rear shock so from $2600-$3600...not a cheap investment but I sure it's worth it I love my 959 good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep this thread posted on what I decide on doing. Not sure if you are talking about preload, but I am certainly not maxing out my preload in the rear in fact I have removed almost all of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't the TTX require a full overhaul every 30-40 hours? I guess you would have to send it for an overhaul about once a year if you ride track twice a month for a total riding time per month of 4 hours for 8 months of the year (4 hours/month x 8 months) = 32 hours a year.

If I have a lot of extra money in the future I will definitely consider this shock but I am going to try a spring change first - it will cost me probably $100 for the spring + labor.

You have to be nuts to buy this shock on the street, because you will have to service it like crazy!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
What's your rider sag at with the amount of static sag you have?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doesn't the TTX require a full overhaul every 30-40 hours? I guess you would have to send it for an overhaul about once a year if you ride track twice a month for a total riding time per month of 4 hours for 8 months of the year (4 hours/month x 8 months) = 32 hours a year.

If I have a lot of extra money in the future I will definitely consider this shock but I am going to try a spring change first - it will cost me probably $100 for the spring + labor.

You have to be nuts to buy this shock on the street, because you will have to service it like crazy!!!

I had no knowledge of this INSANE...Thanks so much for the heads up cause I will definitely be riding my 959 in the streets also I have had my 959 1yr and I am obsessed with it. Gets a break coming back from the track for about a week cause "track withdrawal" but then I settle back to street riding ....so this might not be the move for me. SUCKS!!! What do you recommend or what do you use????

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thinking about 30-40hrs of riding in 1yr I have put 2100 miles on my bike let's say an average of 60mph we are not always doing 130mph in Mexico....LMAOO

2100 Miles ÷ 60mph= 35hrs of riding so it might not be that bad exactly like you calculated a yearly service. I'm impressed with how you estimated that might work for me after all depending on how long they keep the part for repairs. Let me know of I calculated it right??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's your rider sag at with the amount of static sag you have?
Unfortunately, I have not re-measured the rider sag after decreasing the rear shock preload to increase static sag. Before decreasing the preload, the rear rider sag was approximately 1.25 to 1.5 inches if I remember correctly (32-38mm). I can't remember exactly what it was. So, since I decreased the rear preload I would expect the rider sag to be close to or slightly greater than 40mm. Honestly, I don't really care what the rider sag is so much as getting the static sag right so I don't get thrown off the bike every time I brake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not the spring that is progressive, it's the shock linkage. If you want a flat rate shock you will need to buy the linkage triangle and rod from a 1199 or 1299.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Pan...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thank you for the insight. I wasn't aware a shock linkage could be progressive. Now that you mention it, the stock spring doesn't actually look progressive. The spacing between each coil is similar except for the ends. I will check this link out and consider swapping the linkage out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had no knowledge of this INSANE...Thanks so much for the heads up cause I will definitely be riding my 959 in the streets also I have had my 959 1yr and I am obsessed with it. Gets a break coming back from the track for about a week cause "track withdrawal" but then I settle back to street riding ....so this might not be the move for me. SUCKS!!! What do you recommend or what do you use????
Well that is what this thread is all about. I am currently using the stock rear SACHs suspension, but it needs to be altered because its not adequate at the moment. Had to take a lot of preload out to get decent static sag, but now I am using all of the travel and my rider sag is probably too much now : ( Something needs to change. Will keep this thread posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thinking about 30-40hrs of riding in 1yr I have put 2100 miles on my bike let's say an average of 60mph we are not always doing 130mph in Mexico....LMAOO

2100 Miles ÷ 60mph= 35hrs of riding so it might not be that bad exactly like you calculated a yearly service. I'm impressed with how you estimated that might work for me after all depending on how long they keep the part for repairs. Let me know of I calculated it right??
Well your calculation appears correct to me. I guess if you are putting 2100 miles a year on that shock and willing to service it once a year then you are good man! You have met the manufacturer's recommended service interval!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unfortunately, I have not re-measured the rider sag after decreasing the rear shock preload to increase static sag. Before decreasing the preload, the rear rider sag was approximately 1.25 to 1.5 inches if I remember correctly (32-38mm). I can't remember exactly what it was. So, since I decreased the rear preload I would expect the rider sag to be close to or slightly greater than 40mm. Honestly, I don't really care what the rider sag is so much as getting the static sag right so I don't get thrown off the bike every time I brake.
Yeah you're in for a spring rate change regardless of Sachs vs TTX upgrade. I ask because I was in a similar position as you and am slightly lighter than you.

Since you're in Denver, you run at HPR? If so, to give you an idea of what I ended up doing, I sacrificed light load rear stability in T1 and T4 with higher rear preload in order to stabilize the rear during heavy sustained loads in T7. I also was barely bottoming out in T7 which is not a good feeling at all.

I end up with zero static sag, so I do get launched out if I brake fast and hard, but have since just braked less and more smoothly so it doesn't affect me too much anymore. I also lost 5-10 lbs and am 150-ish now, so that helps with being better matched to the oem springrate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah you're in for a spring rate change regardless of Sachs vs TTX upgrade. I ask because I was in a similar position as you and am slightly lighter than you.

Since you're in Denver, you run at HPR? If so, to give you an idea of what I ended up doing, I sacrificed light load rear stability in T1 and T4 with higher rear preload in order to stabilize the rear during heavy sustained loads in T7. I also was barely bottoming out in T7 which is not a good feeling at all.

I end up with zero static sag, so I do get launched out if I brake fast and hard, but have since just braked less and more smoothly so it doesn't affect me too much anymore. I also lost 5-10 lbs and am 150-ish now, so that helps with being better matched to the oem springrate.
Yes I do hit up HPR. Haven't got out there yet on the Duck because it is pretty new. Will do soon.

Thanks for speaking about your experience. Dang I feel like you shouldn't have to give up all of your static sag though! It's not optimal that you have to change your braking style to match the limitations of the shock. That sucks but it sounds like you have tested a few options out already.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you for the insight. I wasn't aware a shock linkage could be progressive. Now that you mention it, the stock spring doesn't actually look progressive. The spacing between each coil is similar except for the ends. I will check this link out and consider swapping the linkage out.
As you can see in the 1199/1299 linkage picks, they have a "F" for flat or a "P" for Progressive. The flat moves the pivot point and requires a shorter rod. Ducabike also makes a aftermarket unit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducabike-D...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's not optimal that you have to change your braking style to match the limitations of the shock.
I think in my case, I overbraking too often and braking too late, so I was exposing a limitation of the shock that was due to that error. I was trying too hard to "point and shoot" have since changed to a more corner speed oriented style. I ultimately just shifted suspension stress/travel away from corner entry to mid corner, so nowadays for me, static sag isn't an issue, but bottoming out the rear is, but I have a lot of preload to work with so I can somewhat tune it out before I hit another limitation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a great post and opened up my curiosity on servicing suspension I spoke with the guys at Olhins and they said we service everything on our bikes and suspension shouldn't be any different on YouTube 44teeth show the process that Olhins does when serving the rear shock. I'm excited to upgrade my suspension and feel the difference I felt a major change when the Ducati tech adjusted my suspension but now I want more waiting for black Friday to see what deals come up keep this thread going guys really good stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmmm, something doesnt sound right. Im 185 lbs. 6’ tall. Did a lot of track days when i was younger, just digging the twisties these days. My suspension set up sucked from the factory, way too stiff. Felt like it was set up for two up riding. I took mine to a local guy here in nevada to set it up for my weight. He is really good, i told him i wanted aggresive street, not quite track settings. He nailed it on the first try, its awesome now. So the factory suspension is actually pretty darned good stuff and unless its defective you should be able to set that up very well for your weight. I could most likely get away with track riding with theses settings as well, maybe a few minor adjustments, unless i was at the top of the expert class. Moral of the story, find a good suspension guy and let him have a shot at it, its very inexpensive. My guy charged me 40 bucks, i felt bad and gave him more. 🍺

1 - 20 of 23 Posts