Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to the Keith Code description of riding that your attention has a value and the more you are able to free up extra credits by gaining confidence in one area allows you to spend more on other areas.

With that being said, I'm looking to pull the trigger on my 2018 expenditure either chasing full Ohlins or a Blip-Box.

I don't believe I will be pushing myself to the point that my suspension will have a greater ROI then maximizing my braking. I have a lot more fear/hesitation/concern about scrubbing off 100+MPH before leaning into a turn then the response and feedback of the bike once I'm leaning over. If I can simplify my braking inputs I feel I can really push and improve that aspect of my riding.

Swapping from the stock to Ohlins steering damper was a HUGE difference, so I can respect their product, but how much better is their full suspension? The stock suspension is dialed in and is still capable of being adjusted if my riding style warrants it.

I was considering the 959 Corse for all the bells and whistles but as many have pointed out it doesn't make financial sense to trade my current bike in, and it didn't have the anticipated DQS Up/Down. For street riding DQS Down doesn't make much difference but I want it for that last 30% of the brake zone to smooth the back end before transitioning to turn in.

(Winter thoughts while it is 12F and snow on the ground)

· Registered
1,948 Posts
I agree that braking induces more confidence than suspension feel - after 1.5 Track days my stock brakes are shot. I’d be more inclined to upgrade the brakes if you plan on doing 2 or more track days a year and dial in the stock suspension once you’re able to carry 10-15% more speed thru a turn (arbitrary numbers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,612 Posts
In the absence of a post crash rebuild, I'd go for the brake upgrade also. You'll get a bigger ROI for the WACC of a set of Ohlins. Moreover, for that kind of outlay, you may get more bang adding a pair of CF wheels in additions to brakes, especially if you ride on a short track.

Reactions: Kev242

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the opinions, contributed to reshuffling my priorities.

As mentioned in other post the rims are probably the most effective overall benefit. Just hate the designs and need to find an awesome painter to keep the luscious red finish.

· Registered
439 Posts
I couldn't tell if you had already upgraded your wheels since you were talking about suspension and brakes...

Definately, switching to forged or carbon fiber wheels should be a consideration for your next step.

The massive reduction of mass will enhance your brake feel as well as improving your overall maneuverability.

Also, Rotobox professes that it is synonymous to adding an additional 10 - 12 HP.

I fell for the RBX2 and like them even more after seeing them on my bike. The Boost could be an improvement to the design for some potential owners. I like them all.

· Registered
439 Posts
Bellissimoto can get you the Rotobox in just about any color or with designs that you wish.

Attachments

Reactions: XCLR8TN and Kev242

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Although he didn't mention it, just like sinjin's photo, the red wheels handle much better than the black ones.>:)

Reactions: Kev242

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
A couple of things you may want to consider that are relatively inexpensive. (if you haven't already done so) Move to a full "race pad" and do the GP shift conversion. Both will help considerably with what you're describing.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
A couple of things you may want to consider that are relatively inexpensive. (if you haven't already done so) Move to a full "race pad" and do the GP shift conversion. Both will help considerably with what you're describing.
Per dougo1199's suggestion about full race pads:
There's quite a few threads on the topic. Here's one of them discussing pros and cons of various types for the same calipers we have as a starting point.
Brake pads - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

· Registered
16 Posts
I agree that braking induces more confidence than suspension feel - after 1.5 Track days my stock brakes are shot. I’d be more inclined to upgrade the brakes if you plan on doing 2 or more track days a year and dial in the stock suspension once you’re able to carry 10-15% more speed thru a turn (arbitrary numbers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What brake pads did you upgrade to? How long do they last you?

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I went with SBS 900 DS pads on the front - they're great pads and lasted 8 months. I just replaced them with EBC Double-H pads that are half the cost and perform just as well on the street. Haven't done a track day with them yet.
Interesting as I just got a set of EBC Double-H pads for the M50's on my Monster.
Had to replace the discs (thankfully on warranty) as the stock pads are too aggressive (if you can believe that) and ruined the discs. Tech suggested EBC Double-H sintered as a better option. I started breaking-in both the discs and the pads but then it snowed :frown2:.
To be continued... in the spring.

Reactions: Dingo

· Super Moderator
345 Posts
EBC Double-H are my go to pads. I did my first track day on the stock pads and they felt wooden AF. Galfer-HH are probably so close to EBC you wouldn't feel a difference unless on the track. Carbone Lorraine C60 pads are probably my all time favorite pads for the track.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went EBC HH here as well, strong performance all season (@6 track days).

A bit of a thread shift, for those of you using ABS on your track time, are you using anything other than 1? I had a few high rear wheel lift moments (doesn't bother me) but have not experienced ABS intervention on that setting at all. Fine with me, just wondering if others that complain about ABS being too interfering are using it with the no-lift settings. I imagine this would make it trigger earlier and extend braking distances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.