Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's the left lower screw when you're installing those radiator covers. Installed the upper cover and the right screw came out no problem but the left stripped. Now I'm going to have fun getting it out and will need a new one. Problem is I can't find it on the parts diagram, it clearly shows the upper screws but not the lowers and it doesn't help that it's in Italian. Does anyone know this part # or where I can get a replacement other than the dealer?

·
Registered
63 Posts
it's the left lower screw when you're installing those radiator covers. Installed the upper cover and the right screw came out no problem but the left stripped. Now I'm going to have fun getting it out and will need a new one. Problem is I can't find it on the parts diagram, it clearly shows the upper screws but not the lowers and it doesn't help that it's in Italian. Does anyone know this part # or where I can get a replacement other than the dealer?
I had the exact same problem!!!!! Right lower screw cooperated but I stripped the left no matter how careful I was and couldn't get it to turn.

1) Use a dremmel and cut a straight line in the middle of the screw so that can use a regular screw driver. That should be enough to turn the ******. To be sure spray a little WD-40 in there.
2) Go to your local ACE Hardware store and replace both lower screws. Get the SS one as oppose to the black steel one so you don't have to worry about rust. If you are anal about the color, just use a black sharpee and color it up. They cost $0.50 each + washer. size should be 2.5mm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Use a dremmel and cut a straight line in the middle of the screw so that can use a regular screw driver. That should be enough to turn the ******. To be sure spray a little WD-40 in there.
2) Go to your local ACE Hardware store and replace both lower screws. Get the SS one as oppose to the black steel one so you don't have to worry about rust. If you are anal about the color, just use a black sharpee and color it up. They cost $0.50 each + washer. size should be 2.5mm
I've got a dremel but will need to get a blade for it, is there any specific type or size you used? I'm just a little concerned about it being too big and cutting the surrounding plastic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a dremel but will need to get a blade for it, is there any specific type or size you used? I'm just a little concerned about it being too big and cutting the surrounding plastic.
Just try to be steady and do it slow and take your time. You should be fine. The OEM screw has an attached washer, so even if you accidentally cut a little deeper than you need there is that buffer. Check often if you have enough depth for a screw driver to turn it. All you need is to losten it up. Once you get it to turn even a mm, you're home free! I used this size. Ace Hardware, Lowe's', or Home Depot always have them in stock (at least where I live they do). Don't forget to wear goggles. Just saying! :D

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/25Pcs-Metal-Cutting-Disc-for-Dremel-Grinder-Rotary-Tool-Circular-Saw-Blade-Dremel-Wheel-Cutting-Sanding/32779917413.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.67.KoQVvx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't work...there just wasn't enough leverage to turn the fucking screwdriver, it just ended up slipping causing two scratches on the surrounding plastic and destroying the screw head. Something so simple turned into such a pain in the ***, **** wrenching on this thing, its just not worth the hassle, I'll stick to working on my Ninja.

·
Registered
63 Posts
didn't work...there just wasn't enough leverage to turn the fucking screwdriver, it just ended up slipping causing two scratches on the surrounding plastic and destroying the screw head. Something so simple turned into such a pain in the ***, **** wrenching on this thing, its just not worth the hassle, I'll stick to working on my Ninja.
So sorry to hear that. I know how you fell. When it happened to me, I felt so defeated by a 2.5mm screw!!! I just laid there on the floor for quite some time trying to compose myself. Then I called a friend and he's the one who gave me the tip. Maybe for me I was able to loosen it enough that I didn't strip the head after cutting the straight line. I guess the next step would be to extract that *****!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same problem here. I got new screws by calling my buddy who works at the dealer. They had to special order some for me. Even being careful with new screws I still had a heck of a time getting the left screw in. I could never get it to tighten all the way down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts