Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I'm just hitting the 4K mark and wanted to do an in-between oil change and found that my drain plug bolt is completely rounded. It's covered in gunk/filth from the road (as you can see). I'm just shocked that the dealer who did the 600 mile service tried to brush this under the rug. Obviously there's methods to remove these types of things but I am not really feeling like this is my problem. Between this and the constant returns for grinding chain against the bolts of the bike (see here) I'm starting to be a bit concerned. This bike is still less than a year old! Any thoughts or suggestions on how to approach this?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Very sad to see this and the biggest reason why I always do my own work. When I did my first oil change on my 959 I made a mental note that the drain plug was aluminum alloy and could be destroyed pretty easily, so was extra careful.

Large EZ Out or try to get a grip on it with a big pair of Vise Grips and back it out. It's probably way overtorqued judging by the mess they made out of the head but you might get lucky and just need a new drain plug, be sure to check the threads in the oil pan for stripping.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
You could also take it back to the dealer since they jacked it up in the first place but are you really going to trust them to do it right?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
That really sucks!!! If I was in your position, I'd bring it back to whoever touched that bolt last, explain nicely that they should not have left it that way, and demand they replace it for free. All while I watch and make sure they don't mess anything else up - because they lost my trust, based on the incompetence observed.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yep, definite trust issue now with that dealership. I work in technical support for an aviation engine manufacturer and while no maintenance organization is perfect, some are a lot better than others, even though all the techs are required to go through intensive training
before receiving certification in aviation. The reputable organizations tend to weed out the truly incompetent mechanics before they can do serious damage; but it still happens. The damage done to that drain bolt is inexcusable, not only because it showed a serious lack of technical skill; but even more importantly, a serious lack of integrity. No one is perfect and all of us make mistakes but the important thing is to take responsible action when something like this occurs. The drain bolt should have ben replaced. I have to wonder now about the rest of the work this guy did on your bike.I would take this straight to the owner and shop foreman, show them the damage and ask if they think this is acceptable work. I would ask to not only have the drain bolt replaced; but also to have the 600 mile inspection points repeated by their best mechanic since you now have reasonable doubt that the rest of the work was done properly.

Reactions: Dingo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts