Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, can anyone point me towards what type of adjustments I should make to my stock suspension for a rider about 140-145 lbs with gear? From the stock settings, should I be softening all the settings?

Curious if anyone out there weighs roughly 140-145 lbs and can provide insight as to how to adjust the suspension based on their own experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey @Curly,

Adjusting suspension to start out with relies more-so on basic measurements than experience. Check this thread out with some of the stuff you should start out doing: Rider Weight for Front Springs. Completing the stuff in post #5 will at least give you a preload baseline and tell you if the OEM springs are too stiff for you.

Onto damping, until you're able to be consistent in your riding, you won't benefit at all from changing your settings. Pull Ulrich's damping setting off the Best Settings for "Stock Susp" thread and you should be at least in the ball park.

Settings in general are moot on the street (ie. not at the track or not during a spirited, aggressive ride) - you'll only see discernible results when things like your tire pressure (and thus tire temp) and damping oil temps are at their optimum targets and/or consistent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Curly, I weigh about 5-10lb more than you, and had my suspension set up by Dave Moss a few months ago. It made a massive difference from stock! Here's how it's set up, with all measurements from the starting points as described in the manual (pages 197-200). FYI, I consider myself to be an intermediate street rider:

Forks: TEN 6.25 turns; COM 6.25-6.5 turns; Preload 11.5 turns

Shock: TEN 9 clicks; COM 1.5 turns; Preload about 5mm of thread showing (i.e. almost the minimum preload)

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
I stand at fault!

For some reason I remembered a click to be a sixth of a turn - turns out its quarter turn = click.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Curly, I weigh about 5-10lb more than you, and had my suspension set up by Dave Moss a few months ago. It made a massive difference from stock! Here's how it's set up, with all measurements from the starting points as described in the manual (pages 197-200). FYI, I consider myself to be an intermediate street rider:

Forks: TEN 6.25 turns; COM 6.25-6.5 turns; Preload 11.5 turns

Shock: TEN 9 clicks; COM 1.5 turns; Preload about 5mm of thread showing (i.e. almost the minimum preload)
Going to have to try these settings. I'm 125 lbs and the stock settings are way too harsh for CA roads for my weight. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm 175lbs without gear and Dave Moss also tuned the bike pretty soft (compare to the manual suggested settings). 5.75 comp/4.25 tens on the forks. Haven't checked the the shock yet. Changed the geometry with the preloads as well - looks like about 1/2 an inch of thread on the shock, but I'll update everything with exact figures when I have chance. I'm about intermediate aggressiveness on the track. Bike falls into turns and feels way lighter since he made the changes and tire wear was just right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Going to have to try these settings. I'm 125 lbs and the stock settings are way too harsh for CA roads for my weight. Thanks!
These settings have transformed the bike. It is way too oversprung with the stock settings for lightweight riders. Bike feels more comfortable and confidence inspiring now. I can only imagine what a properly dialed setup would feel like.

Might have to throw in some Öhlins cartridges and shock next year. Has anyone dealt with Kyle Racing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
So the actual setting Dave Moss put me on:

Front
Comp 5.75
Tens: 4.25
Preload: 11.5 turns

Shock
Comp: 1.25
tens: 6 clicks
Preload: 8mm thread showing

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like I mentioned, I'm 175 lbs no gear. Clearly not apples to apples but my point (on the front end at least) is that it seems Ducati recommended settings are quite stiff compared what is working for a few of us who have had the bikes tuned by Dave Moss.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fine tuned my suspension setting the other day. I found the F COM of 6.5t and R COM of 1.5t to be too harsh for the SF expansion joints on 380 and 280. I backed these off to F COM 7t and R COM 2.5t and it was noticeably more planted. Max F COM seems to be 8.5t and R COM 3.5t. I'm 130 lb with gear so take it for what it's worth.

These setting prob wouldn't work well on track or twisties as the F and R wouldn't have enough support under hard braking and acceleration, respectively. I'd probably revert to my previous setting for, say, Skyline Blvd ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the actual setting Dave Moss put me on:

Front
Comp 5.75
Tens: 4.25
Preload: 11.5 turns

Shock
Comp: 1.25
tens: 6 clicks
Preload: 8mm thread showing
Can you tell me if you have the 959 Panigale Corse with the Stock Ohlins suspension. Cause i noticed that no one mentioned what Paniagle suspension they have.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts