Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 959 Corse. Never had a Sportbike before and the harsh ride is killing me. So much that I don't want to ride this bike. Could someone please recommend some settings for street riding (no track) that will allow me a modicum of comfort? I am 6' tall, ~190 lbs. Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just picked up a 959 Corse. Never had a Sportbike before and the harsh ride is killing me. So much that I don't want to ride this bike. Could someone please recommend some settings for street riding (no track) that will allow me a modicum of comfort? I am 6' tall, ~190 lbs. Thanks
Verify your settings are as per the operators manual for comfort settings.

Since you weight with gear is above the standard weight for which the bike is sprung, you would benefit from going to a shop that knows how to fit the bike for your all up weight.

With all that said, in my experience, nothing about sitting on the Panigale is comfortable, besides the satisfaction of how it handles and performs.

It does feel great when hanging off the side in a corner, but not so much when upright, unless in a tuck at high speed, then it feels lovely as well.

It is a terrible choice for street riding unless you are on a mission with it to ride for performance. That is just my experience.

It is a great bike for spirited riding, and you will come to love it once you get used to it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
EBC at the weakest engine braking (I forget if it's 1 or 3) setting can minimize some of the jerkiness after letting off the throttle.

When I first started riding the 959, I had wrist and butt pains. The discomfort made me second guess my choice of motorcycle but installing a Ducati Performance Comfort Seat and learning how to sit properly on the bike and minimize weight on my wrists, it became bearable.

The 959 isn't really meant for riding in traffic, i'd hate to be in stop and go traffic on it. It's really meant to stay in motion and flick around corners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Verify your settings are as per the operators manual for comfort settings.

Since you weight with gear is above the standard weight for which the bike is sprung, you would benefit from going to a shop that knows how to fit the bike for your all up weight.

With all that said, in my experience, nothing about sitting on the Panigale is comfortable, besides the satisfaction of how it handles and performs.

It does feel great when hanging off the side in a corner, but not so much when upright, unless in a tuck at high speed, then it feels lovely as well.

It is a terrible choice for street riding unless you are on a mission with it to ride for performance. That is just my experience.

It is a great bike for spirited riding, and you will come to love it once you get used to it.
Weighing ~190 lbs., I am in the recommended range of the stock spring for this bike, per the owners manual (176.36-198.42 lb.). I presently have all the suspension settings set for 'Road/Comfort', as per the owners manual. Still not happy. I think you're correct, I may have the wrong tool for the job (it's a shame I don't care for the look of a Multistrada). Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Weighing ~190 lbs., I am in the recommended range of the stock spring for this bike, per the owners manual (176.36-198.42 lb.). I presently have all the suspension settings set for 'Road/Comfort', as per the owners manual. Still not happy. I think you're correct, I may have the wrong tool for the job (it's a shame I don't care for the look of a Multistrada). Thanks
Before you give up on the bike, consider fitting inexpensive and adjustable rear sets ($100 on ebay), adjusting the lever positions on the bars, trying inexpensive tank pads, and trying to add some height to the seat (temporary foam to test it out). You can always spend money if the positioning proves worthwhile.

You may find that with a bit more grip from your knees and seat, plus a bit less knee and wrist strain will put you in a position to smooth out the bumps with your load bearing joints, making the ride tolerable enough to start really exploring the handling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is a shame you dont care for the Multi look, because its phenomenal.
The 959 is not a comfortable bike, I rode it for 3 years long distance, commuting to work (between 85 and 120 miles a day). It just kinda sucks unless you are on the open, twisty road. Then it shines. And at the track. Mine is set up very very stiff, but it does awesome at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
You may have difficultly getting to the level of comfort you're seeking with this bike. Ducati super bikes have always been some of the harshest, most aggressive feeling bikes on the market. Even the Japanese super bikes are far more plush feeling out of the box. The big twin will also take some getting used to if this is your fist go-around with one. They're a bit more work than the i4. In any case, I hope it does work out for you in the end. Peace!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
@DrSpencer - to eliminate vibrations coming from the bars, replace the stock grips with Pro Grip 838 or similar - the stock grips are terrible. And like everyone else has mentioned before me, the 959 is a purpose built machine that shines when used to perform the job it was designed for - unfortunately that does not include tooling around town. Unless you can position yourself in the perfect spot on the seat and have very long arms there's going to be aches! Take it with a smile - everyone is watching you go by!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have mentioned this in a PM. The Panigale is a racebike. It's raw, visceral, hot and uncomfortable at low speeds. It's made for a specific purpose.
Deal with it and love it or trade it.
There are many sportbikes out there way more comfortable; the BMW S1RR for example. It has cruise control and heated grips.
The bike you want is not always the bike you want. Be honest with yourself and you'll be happier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ride my 959 daily to commute , and don't miss a clear day. If I don't ride I feel like I've lost a day of my life. Im 6 foot 170, and have click tweaked my bike. I started with the manufacture settings, and then just made a log of changes and the effect of the change. I don't have an issue with comfort anymore, the race seat kinda pushes me forwards (the comfort seat makes the ride height go up) and I've swapped the grips for Rizoma Lux grips. These guys are right, its made to do one thing, and thats the handle well. The small changes will make it a bit more comfortable, but the bike is limited to how comfortable it will be. Im 42 and still riding hard, but the comfort portion shouldn't be an expectation, it does however get the looks and compliments. I love it, now that I've swapped a few things out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 959 is not a comfortable bike, I rode it for 3 years long distance, commuting to work (between 85 and 120 miles a day). It just kinda sucks unless you are on the open, twisty road. Then it shines. And at the track. Mine is set up very very stiff, but it does awesome at the track.
That's about right, I travel the same now everyday, I still love it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EBC at the weakest engine braking (I forget if it's 1 or 3) setting can minimize some of the jerkiness after letting off the throttle.........
Wow, I wish I discovered this EBC info sooner. I set the bike in 'Sport' mode, but now with the EBC backed off to '3' (previously set at the default level of '1'). What a tremendous difference. Much less jerky and wrist pain is almost non existent. I also backed my settings out 3 clicks from the factory 'Road/Comfort' recommend setting in the manual. Seems like a step in the right direction, but it could just be psychological, lol. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Not to abruptly change the subject, but can Folks please give their opinions on fairing mount (Rizoma Veloce L) vs bar end mirrors (Rizoma Reverse retro)? Thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That is so true. If I were to go back in time, I would have purchased the MultiStrada as a second bike (instead of the Monster) to complement the Panigale which I absolutely love to ride.
IMO, if you have a Panigale, you need something else to go with it.
It's not a good "One Bike Ride" unless of course you purchased it with the intent to use it only for what it was designed to do.
There's only so much you can do to make the Panigale more friendly. Changing the seat, grips and softening the suspension and that's about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I ride my 959 daily to commute , and don't miss a clear day. If I don't ride I feel like I've lost a day of my life. These guys are right, its made to do one thing, and thats to handle well. The small changes will make it a bit more comfortable, but the bike is limited to how comfortable it will be.
Amen, no better way to start your day than to ride in on the 959. Pretty tough to get to work in a bad mood. Not sure what your daily commute is like, but, as stated by many the more aggressive you ride the more comfortable it becomes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, I wish I discovered this EBC info sooner. I set the bike in 'Sport' mode, but now with the EBC backed off to '3' (previously set at the default level of '1'). What a tremendous difference. Much less jerky and wrist pain is almost non existent.
If jerkiness contributes to your discomfort, I also suggest installing Ducati Spacers. You can find more info on them in this forum or google. Basically it removes the freeplay on the throttle so it helps with smooth accelerations and keeping constant low speeds, which i imagine is very important for you if you are commuting with the 959.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey brother. I have a Corse as well. My dealer spoke to the Ohlins folks and right out of the box the suspension is much different (more stiff) than the stock 959. I rode them side-by-side and it’s like night and day. They said that since this is the “ Corse” editon it necessitated a much different (heavier) spring set because it is meant for the track. So at your height and weight even though it says that the springs are correct, you probably should get softer springs for the street because that’s what I am going to have to do. My dealer ordered mine last week. They will read the serial number off of your springs on the front and back and then replace them with softer ones but not for free LOL !!! So all hope is not lost, if aren’t a believer, take your bike in and then ride the stock 959 right after and you’ll see what I mean. Good luck!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m late to the party here but thought I’d throw my two cents in. Don’t give up on the bike, they are quite a hoot and fun. I don’t have the corse, mine is a standard 2017 959. I purchased the bike new, the suspension on mine from the factory was way too stiff, as if it was set up for two up riding. I mean it was bad, I had to stand on the pegs when riding on rough surfaces, Trying to use the settings in the manual was pretty much useless because it doesn’t say where the dimension for rear preload was taken from and you end up with other peoples opinions. Any way, I took mine to a local suspension guru and for 40 bucks he set my suspension for my riding style. Wow, what a difference, now it handles and rides like it should. I’d probably have to stiffen it up just a bit if I want to go really fast on a track but for the twisties I have its perfect. Moral of the story is find your local suspension guru and have him set it up for you, you’ll be amazed at the difference.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I twiddled, fiddled and diddled the knobs on my 959 until I was sick of it and finally ended up near the race settings with a couple of small tweeks. I've decided that this bike is never going to be plush like a Jap I-4, it's just not in it's DNA. Deal with the harsh ride and use it for for what it was designed for and it works reasonably well. This is the last bike I'd ever want to go on a trip on or deal with traffic, sheer agony, stick to the track or twisty backroads.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Here's my final setup details, 2016 Ducati 959:

EBC 3 Minimal engine braking effect.
DTC 3 Moderate traction control intervention.
ABS 1 Minimal ABS intervention.

Front Forks:
Preload 5 turns in from full soft.
Compression 1 turn out from full hard.
Rebound 3 turns out from full hard

Rear shock:
Preload standard.
Compression 1/2 turn out from full hard.
Rebound 6 clicks out from full hard.

Interestingly, these settings are very close to the race settings in the owner's manual and also to those arrived at independently by Chris Ulrich, Road Racing World's senior editor and AMA racer.

I would hardly call them plush but they do allow excellent traction and chassis control under aggressive cornering, so a good compromise for me.

I tried lessening the front preload to 2 turns out from full soft early on and while this marginally improved turn in, I found it caused the front end to collapse under high braking loads on corner entry, so went back the other way in the end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone just got my 959 Corse back after getting the springs changed to a more street set up as opposed to the stock Ohlins track set up which was very very hard and because of my small frame made it almost unbearable to ride. (Read the earlier post)
Well I’m here to say that it has made a world of difference the bike now is much more plush and easier to ride on the street. The Corse suspension is made for the track and unless you are going to be tracking it most of the time you really may need to get the bike resprung according to the folks from Ohlins. It was kind of pricey and that’s really irritating because when you buy a brand new bike the last thing you want to do is spend another grand on changing the suspension which is the reason why you got the extra bells and whistles anyway! But I guess you have to pay to play and if you bought an expensive bike like this and you kinda don’t like to ride it as much because it beats you up then you’re not going to get your money out of it anyway. So I’m recommending going to see Dave Moss or At least watch his videos to see if your bike is not really set up for you because it really does hinder your riding experience and it could also be very dangerous!

QUOTE=PEDSDOC;175934]Hey brother. I have a Corse as well. My dealer spoke to the Ohlins folks and right out of the box the suspension is much different (more stiff) than the stock 959. I rode them side-by-side and it’s like night and day. They said that since this is the “ Corse” editon it necessitated a much different (heavier) spring set because it is meant for the track. So at your height and weight even though it says that the springs are correct, you probably should get softer springs for the street because that’s what I am going to have to do. My dealer ordered mine last week. They will read the serial number off of your springs on the front and back and then replace them with softer ones but not for free LOL !!! So all hope is not lost, if aren’t a believer, take your bike in and then ride the stock 959 right after and you’ll see what I mean. Good luck!!

[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts