Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the frame and realized I do not have the torque specs.
I found the clutch cover spec but I cannot find the spec for the left side of the bike.
Does anyone have that info?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
892 Posts
Give them a ring for the specs.

Here's my recommendations so you can compare with what you find:

Ducati service manual says:

• 13 N-m or 9.5 ft-lbs for the M6x1 dry bolts (aka, clutch cover)
  • 25 N-m or 18.5 ft-lbs for the M8x1.25 lubed bolts (aka, the 3 big ones that connect the left puck to the swing arm shaft support or the rear suspension support)
General metric bolt torque specs are:
  • 11.5-16.3 N-m or 8.5-12 ft-lbs for the grade 8.8/10.9 M6 dry bolt
  • 21.7-32.5 N-m or 16-24 ft-lbs for the grade 8.8/10.9 M8 lubed bolt

Reactions: goat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DJ Shrug. I found the clutch cover spec in the shop manual but I could not find the spec for the 3 big ones on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah it definitely took some digging into to find something that might be correct. Had to do a sanity check against general torque specs to be sure.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Give them a ring for the specs.

Here's my recommendations so you can compare with what you find:

Ducati service manual says:

• 13 N-m or 9.5 ft-lbs for the M6x1 dry bolts (aka, clutch cover)
  • 25 N-m or 18.5 ft-lbs for the M8x1.25 lubed bolts (aka, the 3 big ones that connect the left puck to the swing arm shaft support or the rear suspension support)
General metric bolt torque specs are:
  • 11.5-16.3 N-m or 8.5-12 ft-lbs for the grade 8.8/10.9 M6 dry bolt
  • 21.7-32.5 N-m or 16-24 ft-lbs for the grade 8.8/10.9 M8 lubed bolt
Received my frame and axle slider set.

Thank you for those torque numbers.

When you reference dry vs lubed bolts, are you referring to the use of thread lock compound as lubed?

I was planning on using blue/medium strength thread lock on both the right and left side bolts.

I wonder how useful the blue thread lock will be considering the considerable heat the bolts will be regularly exposed to, basically threaded into the engine block.

·
Registered
892 Posts
When you reference dry vs lubed bolts, are you referring to the use of thread lock compound as lubed?
In the traditional sense, lubed bolts refers to a bolt with any substance that reduces the thread friction (eg. graphite, oil, grease), so thread locker may fit that if it is "slippery." I'd say you could treat the dry spec as the same as the lubed spec (lubed is less than dry, but not a whole lot in the smaller bolts).

Goes without saying that if the threadlocker sets, it's not "lubed" as it increases thread friction.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just installed these sliders.

Took me a while because I removed the fairings as well. I tried with the fairing on, but that makes it very tough to get a correct alignment with the tools when driving in the bolts.

I am not thrilled with the look. I will give it some time and see if it grows on me. If not, I may try another alternative.

They do look like they would function as designed to protect the fairings in a drop situation.

Some observations:

The left side slider countersink bolt has a 5mm hex head instead of the 6 mm size of the other 2 bolts. That makes it a bit easier to strip particularly if you do not have the drive tool aligned with bolt head and fully inserted into the countersink head.

On the right side, the clutch cover plastic slider is installed with T-rex supplied hex bolts which replace the 3 shorter factory bolts which are removed.

The T-rex supplied bolts secure the plastic against the clutch case without any washer between the plastic and the bolt heads. That seems like it would introduce some slack as the plastic wears in. Why no washer to distribute the load? Did anyone install the clutch side slider with additional washers?

I used blue loctite on all the bolts, but I suspect the grease in the threads on the left side and the heat from the clutch case on the right will reduce threadlock efficacy. I doubt the thread lock will cure and remain secure with the grease and heat in the threads.

I used recommended torque on the bolts and will monitor over the next few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts