Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I HATE tanks pads. The only thing I hate more is scratching my tank so was just wondering what you guys were using? I read lots of bad stuff about the DP ones and the only one I ever fitted to a Duke was from Geelong Carbon. Stick on real carbon, looked good and lasted well but I'm not sure about the size of it.. They even do a bigger one that covers nearly half the tank but its not for me...
(Pic from 899 forum)

What do you guys think????

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Center pad I have a piece of **** ebay Kodaskin tank pad that I hate(do not buy), for the side pads I have some techspec pads I bought used that I absolutely love

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I used the Tech Spec - Snake Skin kit. Comes with all 5 pcs. Not the most attractive, but functional.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Forgot this one...
I hate the idea of covering any part of this bike. But maybe I can live with just putting the lower pads on... That is the only place my knees touch the bike anyway....

Bah... scratches... or tank pads... Which looks worse?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I hate the idea of covering any part of this bike. But maybe I can live with just putting the lower pads on... That is the only place my knees touch the bike anyway....

Bah... scratches... or tank pads... Which looks worse?
True! You can always go with the clear Stomp Grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Center pad I have a piece of **** ebay Kodaskin tank pad that I hate(do not buy), for the side pads I have some techspec pads I bought used that I absolutely love

How is the adhesion of the techspecs for you? I was about to order them yesterday but was turned off after hearing about fit issues. Yours look good though.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
How is the adhesion of the techspecs for you? I was about to order them yesterday but was turned off after hearing about fit issues. Yours look good though.
Not too bad. I think the ones for the knee area could be a bit more precise but overall, ok. I did use a heat gun on the low setting on them after they were applied which helped with the adhesion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not too bad. I think the ones for the knee area could be a bit more precise but overall, ok. I did use a heat gun on the low setting on them after they were applied which helped with the adhesion.
I had a set for my Yamaha.
Just make sure you clean the area with alcohol first, use a heat gun on the pads before you put them on to heat them up (makes them more pliable for application, and activates the adhesive)

On the Yamaha they fit great, and looked great. No issues at all with adhesion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
True! You can always go with the clear Stomp Grips.
I heard bad things about the clear grips. That they turn yellow and look terrible after a few months-> year.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to just go w/o grips for a while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought mine used on ebay for dirt cheap, so there was no adhesive on them anymore. So I'm really no help as far as how they regularly fit. Since my paint is just plasti dip and I can peel it off whenever, I used silicone adhesive to bond the pads directly to the paint, so they fit very snug :wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a white pani and also don't want to scratch the tank. Couple of thoughts occurred. First thought of the clear stomp grip kit but like msdss worry it'll yellow and look gross. Saw a lovely red white and black tank pad but it has the Ducati Corse logo. What do you all think? Is it too pretentious? Also like the stomp grip knee grips shown above but again, do you have to cut them to fit?
What is the general consensus

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeh all the negatives about clear ones is one of the main reasons I lean towards carbon.
Truth be told I'm tempted to get a bagster cover so I can just take it off and not spoil the look of the bike ALL the time.
Plus I can carry stuff.

For now I'm just gonna leave it. Not like I wear huge belt buckles. Anyway if the tank gets scratched too badly I might
just get it rubbed back and got for the R look.....lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 76 Posts