Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have/had these? I've seen complaints that the microfiber material traps dirt and dust easily and starts to look dingy after awhile. I actually ordered a set and haven't opened the package yet and can see already that the exposed portion in the package has started to collect particles. I want to know if they are easy to clean before I exchange them for the snake skin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont have experience with them personally but I’ve been told to stay away from the x-line and get the snake skin. Problem is all the bikes I see with the snakeskins or any tech spec for that matter, they are peeling off and look like trash. I’m in a dilema because I want some tank grips, I’m leaning towards trying the eazy grips or r g racing ones (same thing). I don’t really like how thick the tech specs are and the center tank pad looks like poop. I may try stomp grips, they seem to stick better from what I see. Can’t make up my mind, the bike looks so clean without them but I want the grip.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have them they are excellent, the snake skin isn't nearly as good as the XLine. I dont really care how they look, they work great. the pointy ends closest to you do peel up a bit due to heavy breaking at he ends of straights, but I just put tape over the corners.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love the XLine. I currently have stomp grips (previous owner installed) but have a set of XLine to go on. Had them on my last bike for 10s of thousands of miles and they never came up.

Not hard to clean IMO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have them they are excellent, the snake skin isn't nearly as good as the XLine. I dont really care how they look, they work great. the pointy ends closest to you do peel up a bit due to heavy breaking at he ends of straights, but I just put tape over the corners.
If you don’t mind me asking, why are x-lines better? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on some tank grips because they are needed. Function is most important but I want it to look good too, I can’t help it.
I was told snake skins are better as they are more durable and have better grip but I have no experience with them to know, I just know I need some grip on the tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love the XLine. I currently have stomp grips (previous owner installed) but have a set of XLine to go on. Had them on my last bike for 10s of thousands of miles and they never came up.

Not hard to clean IMO.
Good to know, I may try the tech specs, I’m probably overthinking it. Worse case I can just pull them off and put new ones on.

Off topic but: what happened to the R.I.P 899 with 80k plus miles?
Also what part of ne Ohio? I grew up in portage county, little town called Windham

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good to know, I may try the tech specs, I’m probably overthinking it. Worse case I can just pull them off and put new ones on.

Off topic but: what happened to the R.I.P 899 with 80k plus miles?
Also what part of ne Ohio? I grew up in portage county, little town called Windham
Looped it over a hill in 4th gear, bike went about 600 feet, I went about 75 feet less than that... broke my right leg in a few places. Smashed the right side engine cover and displaced oil on the road for a bit, totalled the bike. I wanted to buy it back but insurance wanted $3k. I got $9k for it so it wasn't worth it to me. Bought a new one. :( I wrecked it in Paint Township on 241 in Amish country, I live in Massillon. I'm prob 1.5-2hrs from Windham. Used to live up by Kent but am familiar with a lot of NE OH as I drove and road around a lot haha.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looped it over a hill in 4th gear, bike went about 600 feet, I went about 75 feet less than that... broke my right leg in a few places. Smashed the right side engine cover and displaced oil on the road for a bit, totalled the bike. I wanted to buy it back but insurance wanted $3k. I got $9k for it so it wasn't worth it to me. Bought a new one. :( I wrecked it in Paint Township on 241 in Amish country, I live in Massillon. I'm prob 1.5-2hrs from Windham. Used to live up by Kent but am familiar with a lot of NE OH as I drove and road around a lot haha.
Oh wow! Glad you are ok. That bike was an inspiration to many of us, I hope I get that many miles on the 959. Small world, Massilon is not far from Canton, my brother lived in Canton.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree that X-Line is the way to go. Grippy and easy to clean. Better than the snake skin in my opinion and I’ve had both on my bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I was also hesitant to put them on because putting anything over this bike is like forcing a swimsuit model to wear a sweater. They don't look as bad as I thought but now I'm concerned how it will look over time when the material starts to wear after some track days. 20190623_150456_1561317246656.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alright, I was also hesitant to put them on because putting anything over this bike is like forcing a swimsuit model to wear a sweater. They don't look as bad as I thought but now I'm concerned how it will look over time when the material starts to wear after some track days. View attachment 27068
That doesn’t look bad at all. Is that the x-line?

·
Registered
129 Posts

Not hard to clean IMO.
Do you have any pictures of the stomp grips on your bike? I had stomp grips on my previous bike and found it very useful. I would like to have them on my 959 too.

I'm having a hard time picturing where the stomp grips would be. Given where my knee goes, there doesn't really seem to be an obvious flat surface to stick the grip pad on. Based on the picture from the Xlines, I feel like my leg would barely touch the grips.

Edit: Scratch my question above. I was able to find a picture from the stomp grips website. I'm still on the fence with purchasing because my knees don't seem to rest as high up as the position of the grips. I attached a picture with where my knees typically sits in a red circle. Anyone else the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's also where my legs/knees rest.

I've been looking around for some grips but because tank grips are on the tank, our knees and legs will be barely touching them :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its not you knees its the inside of your thighs
Yes, you're right. The inside of our thighs is what would be gripping the grip pads. My statement about the location of my knees still holds true though; where my knee is means the inside of my thighs are not touching much of the grip pad. I would have be on my toes on the pegs to raise my thighs up high enough to completely grip the tank pad.

Maybe I need higher rearsets?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, you're right. The inside of our thighs is what would be gripping the grip pads. My statement about the location of my knees still holds true though; where my knee is means the inside of my thighs are not touching much of the grip pad. I would have be on my toes on the pegs to raise my thighs up high enough to completely grip the tank pad.

how tall are you?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Yes, it's your thighs mostly when riding normal. When you're getting your butt/body off the side of the bike, you'd be surprised where your leg/knee falls. I know for me, my knees with the stock rearsets were always on the lower fairing in a weird place. I got CNC Racing rearsets and now with the ball of my foot on the peg, my knee aligns with the lower fairing grip MUCH better.

I've circled where my knee used to hit. Also - I've included a picture of how much those tank grips can take. Notice they didn't come off even when bent all sorts of weird ways!

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, it's your thighs mostly when riding normal. When you're getting your butt/body off the side of the bike, you'd be surprised where your leg/knee falls. I know for me, my knees with the stock rearsets were always on the lower fairing in a weird place. I got CNC Racing rearsets and now with the ball of my foot on the peg, my knee aligns with the lower fairing grip MUCH better.

I've circled where my knee used to hit. Also - I've included a picture of how much those tank grips can take. Notice they didn't come off even when bent all sorts of weird ways!
How tall are you and @KarlKani? And where do you guys sit on the seat (middle or towards the back of the seat)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts