Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That are thankfully easy to deal with. Firstly, the throttle - I'm coming from cable not digital throttles and that on/off feeling probably due to the space is impossible. I figured after a month I'd get used to it, but nope. Normally I can get used to any bike throttle/clutch after a few blocks - but not this one.

I ordered the throttle spacer kit, so hopefully that will be remedied.

The second thing is the engine braking - for me, it's waaaay too heavy. Before playing with the settings I'm going to wait for the spacer kit and then dial it in. But holy, it's amazing how these little things can totally erode your confidence entering corners. Right now I think I'm cornering faster on my Vespa 150 (and I'm only slightly exaggerating) :grin2:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I figured after a month I'd get used to it, but nope.
I feel you. I rode it out of the dealership and ordered the spacers right when I got home. No play anymore, would recommend to absolutely anyone, 5 minute install. 2016 Daytona 675R I test rode before buying 959, which is throttle by cable, had just about the same amount of play, pissed me off REALLY bad. Nope, throttle slop is something that needs to be fixed ASAP in my opinion; glad the spacers fixes that easily.

The second thing is the engine braking - for me, it's waaaay too heavy.
In my opinion, EBC at 3 only lightens up engine braking at higher RPMs (~>6k RPM), otherwise EBC off and EBC at 3 feels the same to me for general street rides. I rev match religiously and almost never coast with the clutch in. I mostly leave EBC off for max engine braking so I understand how my 959 feels so I'm never surprised.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
@kats - I think you'll find that once you install the spacers and dumb down the EBC the bike will shine like you Expect it to
:grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
That are thankfully easy to deal with. Firstly, the throttle - I'm coming from cable not digital throttles and that on/off feeling probably due to the space is impossible. I figured after a month I'd get used to it, but nope. Normally I can get used to any bike throttle/clutch after a few blocks - but not this one.
This i have definitely gotten used to now after about 3 weeks. But at first yeah i would definitely over rev at green lights. I dont even really notice the difference anymore. (i dont have spacers)

The second thing is the engine braking - for me, it's waaaay too heavy. Before playing with the settings I'm going to wait for the spacer kit and then dial it in. But holy, it's amazing how these little things can totally erode your confidence entering corners. Right now I think I'm cornering faster on my Vespa 150 (and I'm only slightly exaggerating) :grin2:
This i will totally agree with you on. Even now after about 3 weeks of riding everyday. Im slightly used to the EBC (i have mine set to 3) but some days i still think to myself "man this thing engine breaks soo dang hard! On the freeway i almost never have to use my brakes haha. EBC 3 is only slightly better than 1 IMO. I did some testing. I am brand new to these bikes and I have to get used to the fact that that much engine braking is normal. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
You have to remember, the twins have a completely different engine characteristic than an inline 3 or 4. I see a lot of complaints about the throttle slack on these bikes, but I think it's more about throttle control and getting used to the engine. The Panigale's engine characteristics are the closest Ducati has ever been to an inline 4, but it's still a large displacement twin... they are twitchy by nature, especially at the higher end of the power band, and naturally supply more engine brake. The nice thing about the 959 is that it has a mechanical slipper clutch as well as the EBC. I suggest putting in some seat time trying out the different settings and get a feel for the machine. I run my settings at - 3/3/1

Reactions: DJ Shrug

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
EBC set on level 3 works best for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently finished the 1K break in and hadn't tried race mode yet. So yesterday I began to dial the bike in for my own personal tastes and the first thing I noticed was that I felt MUCH more comfortable with the throttle response in race mode than in sport mode. It just seemed more natural to me. The throttle slop was less of an issue for whatever reason. So I configured race mode to 2/5/2 and was very happy. I don't think it's my imagination but even EBC from 1 to 2 was noticeable to me at medium revs.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
About EBC and Torque:
I bought a Panigale primarily for two reasons:
First, it had a big cylinder. Second, it had another big cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
About EBC and Torque:
I bought a Panigale primarily for two reasons:
First, it had a big cylinder. Second, it had another big cylinder.
Haha! Right on! As they say... there's no replacement for displacement!!

Reactions: Dingo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts