Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm taking off my rear pipe heat shield and head covers off, maybe that will fix the heat problem. /s

Will report back when I get a chance to ride.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Not sure if you're joking DJ but I would love to pull the underseat heat shield off to expose that gorgeous rear exhaust pipe, would look much better IMHO.... as in racier. That is the only design feature of this bike I don't care for, the heat shield kind of reminds me of a toilet seat lid.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Not sure if you're joking DJ but I would love to pull the underseat heat shield off to expose that gorgeous rear exhaust pipe, would look much better IMHO.... as in racier. That is the only design feature of this bike I don't care for, the heat shield kind of reminds me of a toilet seat lid.
Haha, the "/s" is supposed to indicate sarcasm, but only about "fixing the heat problem". :grin2:

The shenanigans I'm doing right now involves polishing the exhaust pipes up. The rear pipe has a weird flange on the edge, but still might look ok when its back on. Currently, everything is off and polished, now just gotta put it all back together. The heat shield and head covers will be staying off (unless the heat becomes a problem).

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yes, please let me know how that works without the rear exhaust cover, I think it would look way cool and if the heat issue was no worse than stock, I'll try it.

Post up a pic without the covers on there. I'm curious what the heads look like without the covers.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
...The rear pipe has a weird flange on the edge, but still might look ok when its back on...

That's why I didn't remove the heat shield and wrap the pipe - not worth the trouble with that flange on the inside and outside of the curve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Our steel subframe with plastic cover (to make it look like a 1199/1299) is much better than the 1199/1299 aluminum subframe. That sucker is a straight up heat-sink. Gets hot fast and stays hot longer than our steel one.

I have done these things so far, I'll rate them with effectiveness (0-10, 10 being best):

Covered underside of seat with heat reflective tape: 0
Changed stock seat out for the ~1" higher DP comfort seat: 6
Heat shielded the subframe tubes above the rear cylinder head (close to where your thighs contact the subframe covers): 3
Used thin reflective heat shielding on the inside of the subframe covers and cylinder head covers: 2
Also insulated the subframe and head covers with thick[er] aerogel: 4
Wrapped the exhaust loop: 0
Carbon fiber exhaust loop cover: 2

Thoughts: Keeping moving (40mph+) is the best way to dissipate heat. Stop and go is killer. Otherwise, the DP seat makes the absolute biggest difference. It gets your thighs up and away from the heat (coming from the cylinder head covers, mainly).

After riding an 1199 back to back with my 899 in 35 degree temps, it was VERY apparent how much more heat comes off the cylinder head when you do NOT have the covers installed (it was an early model 1199 without them). I could notice a difference even with the higher DP seat on the 1199!

Also: if you ride a lot (or get your bike wet/muddy occasionally), don't wrap the loop. My wrap has degraded and started literally falling off the pipe. The plastic exhaust loop cover on the 899/959 is better than the steel one on early 1199s, and even a cheapy ebay carbon loop cover with heatshielding is better than the OEM plastic cover (but the cheap ebay ones discolor fast from the heat).

Just what I've found so far, hopefully this helps someone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, here is an infrared video of an 1199 idling. I didn't read through all 23 pages of this thread so forgive me if it has already been posted.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, please let me know how that works without the rear exhaust cover, I think it would look way cool and if the heat issue was no worse than stock, I'll try it.

Post up a pic without the covers on there. I'm curious what the heads look like without the covers.
I'll certainly do so when I get a chance. @nband has some pics of his on his welcome thread: http://www.959panigale.net/forum/new-members-introduction/7393-im-crossing-over-dark-side-3.html#post89666

Wrapped the exhaust loop: 0
Carbon fiber exhaust loop cover: 2
Goes to show that the heat shield does a good job. Hopefully its not hot with mine removed however.

The plastic exhaust loop cover on the 899/959 is better than the steel one on early 1199s, and even a cheapy ebay carbon loop cover with heatshielding is better than the OEM plastic cover (but the cheap ebay ones discolor fast from the heat).
The 959 heat shield is a 3 layer heat shield (4 if you count air-gap) with an inner stamped/formed piece of steel, heat foil, and the outer plastic. The heat foil is adhered to the plastic and there's a air-gap between the heat foil and the steel plate.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Thanks DJ, OMG that looks so awesome without the head cover, looks like a real race bike now!! So the exhaust pipe is pretty ugly without the shield on there with those exposed flanges? I'll have to pass on that if that is the case, was hoping it was just curled up tubes under the shield.

May try removing the head covers though, that looks awesome! If it get's too hot I can always put 'em back on.

Rode this morning, 55 F and completely forgot about the heat issue although I was wearing full leathers as per usual.

My new loop has only two stops in 35 miles and those are brief ones, as in rolling stops at a stop sign. I quit doing traffic lights and heavy stop n go traffic as that's where I noticed some thigh heating last summer.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Four letter words we should be addressing:
Able,bold,boom,buff,ciao,cool,epic,fast,gosh,grin, hail,high,holy,icon,idol,jeez,lean,like,look,many, mate,maxi,mmmm,much,neat,need,nice,plus,pros,pure, racy,rosy,safe,sexy,snug,stir,stun,tops,uber,uhuh, vamp,viva,want,whee,whew,whoa,whoo,wink,wish,wow!, wows,yern,zoom,Amen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's a full body shot... I have contemplated removing the exhaust shield for wrap but I think I'm unlikely to do that as I think functionality will decrease.

@Kruz note that you need to lift the back of tank to remove those covers. It's not terrible but if you spend time trying to avoid that it will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Appreciate it! If anyone does take off the exhaust shield I'll be interested in the heat results.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a roll of wrap and may try this just to get a good baseline.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Sweeeet! Love those exposed cylinder heads! I'm not concerned about the heat coming off the underseat pipe but if it's ugly, that's a different story. Too bad they don't look like the exposed pipes visible in the lower cowl.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, went out for a 300 mile ride today. I wore a pair of 3mm Neoprene shorts under my gear and the heat issue was 100% resolved. How the **** can that little bit of material block all that heat?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Ok, went out for a 300 mile ride today. I wore a pair of 3mm Neoprene shorts under my gear and the heat issue was 100% resolved. How the **** can that little bit of material block all that heat?
Makes perfect sense - the thermal conductivity of Neoprene is 0.05

221 - 240 of 263 Posts