Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Ok, went out for a 300 mile ride today. I wore a pair of 3mm Neoprene shorts under my gear and the heat issue was 100% resolved. How the **** can that little bit of material block all that heat?

Ever seen the ceramic ablative heat shield tiles on the space shuttle? They're about the thickness of a brownie and withstand kinetic heating from re-entry at 17,000 mph. My leathers work great btw, couple millimeters and can't even feel the heat.

That's why I have no sympathy for guys wearing shorts and complaining about this bike's heat output. Wear proper riding gear...problem solved!:grin2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's why I have no sympathy for guys wearing shorts and complaining about this bike's heat output. Wear proper riding gear...problem solved!:grin2:
I won't even ride a block to the gas station without proper gear on. I will NEVER understand riding in shorts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 959 heat shield is a 3 layer heat shield (4 if you count air-gap) with an inner stamped/formed piece of steel, heat foil, and the outer plastic. The heat foil is adhered to the plastic and there's a air-gap between the heat foil and the steel plate.
The 899 shield was the same. I think around 35k my heat foil removed itself and started contacting the exhaust and burning away, at which point the plastic shield started turning white from heat. Ducati refused to replace the shield under warranty so I went with a cheap ebay shield. I will be upgrading this winter to one that doesn't blister and discolor :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok, went out for a 300 mile ride today. I wore a pair of 3mm Neoprene shorts under my gear and the heat issue was 100% resolved. How the **** can that little bit of material block all that heat?
I wear those 'heat-out' shorts that Cycle Gear sells under my kevlar jeans and it's MUCH better.

This is unrelated to this post somewhat, but since someone mentioned how much better the front header looks than the rear one... you can quickly polish it up and make it even better! (this is on my list of things to do this winter--polish the rear header)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Sweeet!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am not sure if there are any fitment issues related to the 899/959/1199/1299, however anyone inclined to pursue this and report back further is welcome to do so...

https://version-s.com/collections/1199/products/manifold-cover-ceramic-ducati-1199-panigale

I have purchased Ilmberger carbon from this vendor for my RR and have had excellent results in ordering, delivery, and installation.

A ceramic exhaust manifold cover might be what someone here needs to try out.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This is unrelated to this post somewhat, but since someone mentioned how much better the front header looks than the rear one... you can quickly polish it up and make it even better! (this is on my list of things to do this winter--polish the rear header)
Front one is super easy to do as well! Here's mine I did some months back.

Rear one's a little tougher, got a decent amount of weld splatter so I've had to sand some spots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Front one is super easy to do as well! Here's mine I did some months back.

Rear one's a little tougher, got a decent amount of weld splatter so I've had to sand some spots.

Hey DJ , why go to all the trouble of polishing the rear exhaust if it's under the plastic cover, just wondering?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey DJ , why go to all the trouble of polishing the rear exhaust if it's under the plastic cover, just wondering?
Heat shield is not going back on. Gonna be completely visible from all angles.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The stock exhaust is stamped steel crap that looks terrible exposed... I'm curious to see if you'll accept it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!

Ditto, want to see that bad boy with no rear heat shield, I'll bet it looks pure MotoGP now!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ditto, want to see that bad boy with no rear heat shield, I'll bet it looks pure MotoGP now!

Are you talking about the exhaust shield? I haven't removed it... have considered it with the addition of exhaust wrap but want to see others experience first.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think he's agreeing with you to see mine, I'll update it when I do so when weather is better here.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm honestly starting to think the factory heatshield doesn't dissipate heat and retains it, I have the Akra system on the bike now and the heat is noticeably less, maybe just a carbon heat shield would help but I would rather deal with the heat than disassemble the whole bike to install a new heat shield.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wrapping back around to give my experience with removing the rear heat shield and head covers:
  • Heat on the shins - no change. Still mostly from contacting clutch case.
  • Heat on inner thighs - no change. Seems like minimal heat comes from head covers.
  • Heat on butt - probably cooler. Don't notice it, even at a standstill with ECTs at 200-205 F.
  • Heat on chest - no change. Have perforated jacket, don't feel any difference in heat.
  • Heat under helmet - noticeable heat now. Seems like now that the heat isn't shielded, it actually rises up to my helmet.
Not gonna put either back on, but yep, overall, I'd say that there hasn't been a negative change for removing the rear pipe shield and plastic head covers.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
23 Posts
After lurking for a while and reading up on the well documented heat issues, I finally understand the plight of many.
It's deffinately distracting while riding but not unbearable,
The heat shield that Ducati came up with was more cosmetic and a quick fix I believe rather than a solid solution.
This is something I will work on making better for sure

241 - 260 of 263 Posts