Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed some a**hole tried to steal my 959 and broke the ignition switch in the process. Clearly they were unsuccessful in stealing perhaps due to the fact that the motorcycle was chained to a pole and also the additional security features of the bike. Now I am left with a broken ignition switch and insurance deductible. I towed the motorcycle to the nearest dealership but their response did not instill confidence in me regarding their ability to fix it. They were saying they would have to do more research on how to fix it and their internal conversation included replacing ECU along with bunch of other parts. My insurance company would not let me take the bike to the more experienced dealership in san francisco. So my my questions are:

1 - Has anyone faced this situation before and what was needed to fix the bike?
2 - Any ideas on how to prevent this situation in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where are you from?

At least in Brazil, specially on big cities, you can’t park this kind of motorcycles on streets. I don’t know anything that could be possibly done, to prevent this kind of situation.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don’t they have insurance?

I think this is just a matter of time to get it fixed by the dealer. Good luck.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
@motosamurai - Only a ignition key plug insert (I just made that up) would stop someone from jamming a screwdriver or something into the ignition key slot. I don't think it exists. What I don't understand is why you allowed your insurance company to dictate where you can bring the bike to get fix properly. Especially after the dealer you brought it to doesn't know how to fix it??? Are you sure they're a Ducati Dealer?

·
Registered
892 Posts
What's your insurance deductible? 59821531A (the lock kit which includes a new key cylinder, gas cap, pillion seat/cowl lock, 2 keys) costs 520.64 USD from AMS Ducati online. It's not necessarily a 10 minute job, but certainly you could probably do it yourself within 1-2 hours.

I don't know the details of the immobilizer though, which your dealer seems to be worried about.

2 - Any ideas on how to prevent this situation in the future?
Garage it, then hope and pray that only the small time thieves look toward your bike. Nothing is going to stop the pro-level thieves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@motosamurai - Only a ignition key plug insert (I just made that up) would stop someone from jamming a screwdriver or something into the ignition key slot. I don't think it exists. What I don't understand is why you allowed your insurance company to dictate where you can bring the bike to get fix properly. Especially after the dealer you brought it to doesn't know how to fix it??? Are you sure they're a Ducati Dealer?
Yes they are a ducati dealer. The insurance folks were not clear if the towing to the dealership in san francisco would be covered or not. I am hoping it would be fixed before my upcoming 3 day ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your insurance deductible? 59821531A (the lock kit which includes a new key cylinder, gas cap, pillion seat/cowl lock, 2 keys) costs 520.64 USD from AMS Ducati online. It's not necessarily a 10 minute job, but certainly you could probably do it yourself within 1-2 hours.

I don't know the details of the immobilizer though, which your dealer seems to be worried about.

Garage it, then hope and pray that only the small time thieves look toward your bike. Nothing is going to stop the pro-level thieves.
My deductible is 250$ and I am sure the towing+parts+labor would run way over my deductible. So sad that some people would rather destroy other's property than earn an honest living.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Your deductible is very low so don't sweat it, just find a dealer that doesn't have a lack of knowledge and work with your insurance to get it done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts