Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought the comfort seat for my Panigale and I got 160 miles on the dash I'm about to move from Chicago to Sioux Falls which is about 600 miles away, would you guys recommend me getting a trailer or do you think it's not a good idea since I'm still breaking in the motor. I do not want to mess something up on the bike so but I do want to ride it haha.

·
Registered
892 Posts
600 miles on a supersport on basically straight roads sounds like no fun, regardless of whether or not you're breaking in the engine or not.

With your engine oil filled with a lot of metal shavings (relatively speaking), probably not the best idea. You've basically already broken in the piston rings with the 160 miles you rode and suspension/transmission/etc. will continue to break in over time, but I wouldn't subject your brand new Panigale to a road trip until after its first service.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

During the break-in period, one is supposed to avoid keeping the motor at constant revs for extended periods of time. Varying the RPMs is key to following the break-in procedure (if you believe in it, which is another topic unto itself...). This is unlikely to be practical on a 600 mile road trip. You're more likely to be doing 70 MPH on the highway in the same gear with the engine steadily revving away.

I say avoid it.

P.S. A fellow Chicagoan! Where did you get your bike and when, if I may ask?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually from Houston but moved up here for business a couple months ago but I got it from Motoworks Chicago will be moving to South Dakota then L.A so my Panigale going with me all over the place haha.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
600 miles on a supersport on basically straight roads sounds like no fun, regardless of whether or not you're breaking in the engine or not.
Ditto, 600 boring highway miles on a supersport ranks right up there with having your bollocks tenderized with a meat hammer......don't even think about doing it unless you have no other way to transport the bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I rode mine down the highway for the first time last Sunday in order to get to a certain route in KY. It was 50 miles each way. The way down wasn't too awful, (I generally dislike highway riding) but the ride home was a killer after having ridden all day on the back roads of KY. The return trip is what would get you for sure, IMO. lol!

Reactions: XCLR8TN

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
The 959 is awesome as long as there are nothing but curves ahead, when the road straightens out or you get into stop-n-go traffic.....faghedaboudit!:frown2:

Reactions: dougo1199

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I'm seriously considering trailering the thing down next time.

Reactions: Kruz

·
Registered
38 Posts
Farthest I have ridden mine is to Indianapolis and back which is 400miles without any comforts. You could totally ride 600 miles, but keep in mind to take frequent stops. The worst way to be is tired and in pain on a motorcycle. Make sure you don't skirt that point for too long. Also drink lots of water.

As for the break in concern, Just keep doing pulls on the freeway and engine break a lot. Watch out for highway patrol as they may not like you doing that very much ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

During the break-in period, one is supposed to avoid keeping the motor at constant revs for extended periods of time. Varying the RPMs is key to following the break-in procedure (if you believe in it, which is another topic unto itself...). This is unlikely to be practical on a 600 mile road trip. You're more likely to be doing 70 MPH on the highway in the same gear with the engine steadily revving away.

I say avoid it.

P.S. A fellow Chicagoan! Where did you get your bike and when, if I may ask?
I too am a Chicagoan, got mine from MCC for a steal. I also run a small neighborhood repair shop out of my garage, and specialize in Ducati's if you'd like to save money on maintenance, or add upgrades.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man that be dope I'll def keep you in mind when I come back here, hmu on here.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So looks like I'll be riding the bike 600 miles lol no choice I tried to rent a trailer and they where none, and the 15ft uhaul my company got is packed with Direct TV equipment so ****. Haha I got this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup that's what I was thinking! Good advice on water I get hella thirsty when riding.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's 3 am made it to Sioux Falls at 2 am after I left at 3:45pm and it wasn't that bad yes i got a little sore from my back but I just moved around and stood up on the bike and stretched my legs out sometimes. Obviously with frequent stops and lots of water, I got to 52.4 miles per gallon and I throttle up and down a lot aswell as shift between 4,5,6 gears a lot being on 6 the most and engine braking. Bike it fine no lights I did get a ticket tho, for going 94 miles per hour the cop brought it down to 84 and ticket is $168, not sure if that's lucky I taught i was getting my licensed taken away. Ohh my left hand mirror broke ? And it carved my fairing a bit. Wtf. Ordering new mirror and overnight it it to me. Anyways if you guys decide to take a long trip on a Panigale just make sure you got the Ducati comfort seat or a comfort seat and your golden.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to a Chicago Bears game on my Panigale yesterday and my left hand is now swole.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Highly not recommended. As previously stated, in your break-in period you've gotta vary the rev range all the time, stick within the limits etc. This is entirely independent on whether or not you follow the manufacturer recommended break-in, or the ride-it-like-you-stole-it break-in method (different topic, still interesting though) - staying at the same speed for such a long period of time won't be good for it.

As well as that, it's not comfortable for such a long range, even with the comfort seat, and you won't be having any fun on it either. If you can afford it, take it in a trailer and give it what it deserves when you get there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read my previous post.. I rode it 600 miles already without keeping it on the same rev range. And it was fun as ****

1 - 20 of 23 Posts