Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

What is the consensus on the heat shield and throttle spacer kit? Has anyone had any long-term issues with either kit?

While it sounds like the heat shield does the job it sets out to do, I worry about it dumping the heat back to where it came from. I imagine there was a reason for it getting dumped off where it currently gets dumped off.

Same thing for the throttle spacers. I've heard they do the job, but is there not a reason for the little bit of wiggle in the throttle?

Thanks!
-Nick

· Registered
439 Posts
My opinion on the throttle spacers isn't very popular on here, however since you asked...

There is a very experienced track rider whom I am acquainted with and they would mock me when I expressed that the slop was there for a reason. I later heard that he had visited with a Ducati test rider and promptly removed the spacers after being told that unless he could turn the handlebars from lock to lock with enough throttle control as to not rev the engine from idle with them in place, he was not encouraged to keep them.

When I transition from a high revving I4 to the Panigale with a great deal more midrange torque, I notice the sensitivity of the throttle with them in. Depending on what you are coming from and if you ride other bikes, you may prefer the throttle with it stock.

I would suggest that you get used to the bike without having them there and determine on your own whether or not you are missing out by not installing them.

As far as the heat shield, most of the heat is coming from the cylinder heads anyway and with a race suit or proper clothing, at track or highway speeds, and enjoying the **** out of the bike, it is likely that you won't notice it either. You and I share the same view there. The whole design is a heat sink that is designed to reduce heat going through the exhaust. By reducing the ability for it to cool, you are introducing higher temps further along the system.

Reactions: cavlino

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My opinion on the throttle spacers isn't very popular on here, however since you asked...

There is a very experienced track rider whom I am acquainted with and they would mock me when I expressed that the slop was there for a reason. I later heard that he had visited with a Ducati test rider and promptly removed the spacers after being told that unless he could turn the handlebars from lock to lock with enough throttle control as to not rev the engine from idle with them in place, he was not encouraged to keep them.

When I transition from a high revving I4 to the Panigale with a great deal more midrange torque, I notice the sensitivity of the throttle with them in. Depending on what you are coming from and if you ride other bikes, you may prefer the throttle with it stock.

I would suggest that you get used to the bike without having them there and determine on your own whether or not you are missing out by not installing them.

As far as the heat shield, most of the heat is coming from the cylinder heads anyway and with a race suit or proper clothing, at track or highway speeds, and enjoying the **** out of the bike, it is likely that you won't notice it either. You and I share the same view there. The whole design is a heat sink that is designed to reduce heat going through the exhaust. By reducing the ability for it to cool, you are introducing higher temps further along the system.
Ok, cool. I feel like you and I are on the same page.

I'm pretty sure my Ninja had some play in the throttle and it never bothered me, so I will hold off on the spacers for now.

And yeah, I'll see how I feel about the heat after riding it for a bit. No reason to jump the gun.

Thanks for the info!

· Registered
13 Posts
From your intro I recall reading you already upgraded to the comfort seat and that seems to be the largest single improvement without any negative side effects of deflecting the heat from your but. Congrats and like you, the most I can do is look at the BMW in my Garage and wait until April or perhaps May before the roads will be in good enough shape to ride.

I prefer to ride longer into the season, I have ridden in December versus taking the bike out early due to the poor road conditions after the Winter versus just cold temps leading up to Winter.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your intro I recall reading you already upgraded to the comfort seat and that seems to be the largest single improvement without any negative side effects of deflecting the heat from your but. Congrats and like you, the most I can do is look at the BMW in my Garage and wait until April or perhaps May before the roads will be in good enough shape to ride.

I prefer to ride longer into the season, I have ridden in December versus taking the bike out early due to the poor road conditions after the Winter versus just cold temps leading up to Winter.
Yeah, I don't really mind riding in the cold as long as the tires can get some grip, but I don't want to expose the bike to the salt on the roads.

· Registered
26 Posts
After 500 street miles, I ended up putting the throttle spacers on. I will only track the bike a couple times a year, so my primary use is on the street, and I couldn’t get used to having the amount of play that is there. Rode with the spacers for 150 miles, and I preferred to keep them installed for their off throttle precision and slow speed street riding.

Heat shield, I have the kit but I have not installed it yet. When I do, I’ll just use the seat portion to start with.

· Registered
183 Posts
There was a reason for the slop, but it wasn't anything detrimental to the throttle function and IIRC putting on the spacers was a net positive with no downsides (unless for some reason you don't like precise throttle control).

· Registered
1,612 Posts
About the spacers:
I haven't read about anyone taking them off once installed.
I personally found them to be a big improvement.
Interesting that the OEM slack is not as present in the Monsters.

Reactions: cavlino

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Spacers: I have not tired them, but I haven't had any issue with the slack either. (1199 or 959)

Heat: It's a non-issue for me

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
About the spacers:
I haven't read about anyone taking them off once installed.
I personally found them to be a big improvement.
Interesting that the OEM slack is not as present in the Monsters.
Interesting. My 2001 S4 has a little slack..

· Registered
1,948 Posts
The play in the throttle bothered me right from the get-go. I rode the bike off the lot the very first time and by the time I got home - less than 20 minute ride - I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the slack! I did not test-ride or demo a bike before purchasing one. Found out about the spacers and instead of making them myself I purchased them.
The heat has never been an issue for me, so I just wanted to help out the group-buy and joined in on the Heat Shield offer. After installing all pieces I don't feel much of a difference.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have both installed and am glad for them.

The original throttle slip isnt a big deal until you have the spacers and realise the difference. It almost felt like a new bike.
The heat shield has made a big difference in my opinion. Its so much more comfortable riding in hot conditions now. I wear riding jeans and leather jacket and now hardly notice the heat, especially when still or slow in traffic. Before, I had to limit the ride to 1-2hrs in searing heat where it doesn't matter so much now.

· Registered
30 Posts
there is a custom ducati 959 in the us done by Jaret campisi customs. he did a bunch of heat shielding and used a different coolant liquid to get the bike running like 25 degrees cooler. the bike temps of exterior where also significantly cooler also. I might follow what he had done to the bike!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I saw Jaret's bike. A bit too much work for me, haha. Will look into the different fluids though.

Just got back from my first ride on the bike, and as of right now don't feel the need for the spacer. Also, the heat was very welcome as I was riding in 40-50 degree weather, but will need to make another judgement in summer.

· Registered
63 Posts
The play in the throttle never really bothered me but I put the spacers in anyway. I figured "why not?" since they were so inexpensive. I'm kind of indifferent to them. I like the precise throttle action but I wouldn't miss them if I didn't have them.

Heat has never been an issue for me so I can't comment on the shields.

· Registered
41 Posts
Just installed mine,
Throttle and spacer kit do their job, easy to install and eliminate all the slack.
the heat shield was a handful to install but after i finished i could definitely notice a difference in heat.
I also changed the radiator fluid to water whetter and they both make the bike a lot more tolerable to drive.

· Registered
138 Posts
I noticed that I was having trouble keeping the bike smooth at low speeds. There would be some jerkiness when I'm holding the throttle static at slightly on, trying to keep a steady and slow speed. I think it's because when the throttle is slightly on, it is right on the fence between the free-play zone and getting some gas. Downshifting can help with this issue but you can't do that while on 1st gear.

Additionally, accelerations weren't consistent for me because I would forget how much more free-play I have before the throttle actually starts giving gas. This caused slight over-revving or under-revving at times. Not the end of the world but it's annoying enough to make me want to address the issue.

I got the spacers after reading that it would help with these issues I mentioned. After giving it a try, it really does what it was advertised to do. Accelerations are now consistent and perfect each time. Holding low speeds is almost effortless now. I'm very happy I installed these spacers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.