Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What are your collective thoughts on purchasing a 959 demo bike?

My concern is that when people test ride them, they don't respect the break-in period and that may cause problems later on in the bike's life. To my knowledge, the warranty is not extended to give a buyer peace of mind in this respect.

Even though it was "OPP" (other people's Panigale), I treated the low-mileage demo respectfully when I tested it. I don't trust others to do the same.

Thoughts?
-Curly

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd prefer a low mileage privately owned bike, it would be cheaper and you can get inside the head of who's ridden it. But what would I know in the past I've purchased crashed ones at auction and not had a speck of trouble besides minor stuff :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Depends on what kind of break-in you believe to be the best. Plenty of engines go from showroom straight to the dyno or straight to the track. Overreving is probably the only thing that will damage an engine, regardless of what age the bike is.

There's really no way to tell whether the various break-in methods prolong or shorten engine life - there's just too many variables and INFINITE amount of anecdotal evidence for the 100000000 methods.

If you weigh peace of mind high, I'm sure you know what your answer is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, fellas.

I may prefer a low-mileage private bike, too, as it would be less expensive but there are not many to choose from in Chicagoland and from what I've seen, they are 2016 models which means one year less warranty.

It's also proving difficult to sell my current bike privately so it may be easier to use it as a trade-in at a dealer on a demo.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sit tight you will sell it, it will save you at least a couple of thousand selling and buying privately and sometimes the used bike may have a few choice bits already fitted. Always easier trading it in if you have plenty of money :)

Once we get more news of the new Ducati superbike the poor old Pani will start taking a fall in price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you sir, but unfortunately, there are a flood of used 696's on the Chicago market (and only one 959). Mine's been up for a good number of weeks now and I haven't had a single bite, even after dropping the price.

No rush, I suppose. I still have a great bike to ride. But as the Midwest season wanes, I presume it will be more difficult to sell privately.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't mind a demo bike if the price was right, and maybe at least a discount on an extended warranty.

I had a car that was a demo, best car I ever had, still miss it.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
One thing to consider on the dealer demo bike. I believe you would still get the full two year factory warranty. You may want to inquiry about that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dont buy demo bike. The same applies to performance cars. Those are driven not only by prospective buyers but also dealership emploees who treat those bikes with no regards. You can gamble your hard earned cash and buy demo bike, or spend a little extra and have complete peace of mind

·
Registered
892 Posts
...but also dealership emploees who treat those bikes with no regards.

@tomi brings up a great point. I know that the demo bikes my dealer have are taken to track days which only dealer employees hammer on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@tomi brings up a great point. I know that the demo bikes my dealer have are taken to track days which only dealer employees hammer on.
My prospective salesman is a really nice guy. I wonder if he would be honest about whether this has taken place if I ask outright.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, all else equal, which would you all prefer purchasing?

- A 2016 with 700 miles on it and six months of warranty left (keep in mind, I'm in Chicago, so the warranty will expire in the winter) from a private seller

- A 2017 dealer demo with 1,000 miles on it and an additional year or year+ of warranty left. Assume the 1,000 miles consist of no track time

·
Registered
892 Posts
A 2016 with 700 miles on it and six months of warranty left (keep in mind, I'm in Chicago, so the warranty will expire in the winter) from a private seller
6 months left of warranty, sounds like it was one of the first to get sold. A 2016 with 700 miles sounds like its been babied and never rode - obviously a huge assumption. That's like 36 miles a month! If you can, go check it out and get the rider's mindset (ie. is he a hooligan/inexperienced rider or is he a more experienced and responsible individual).

A 2017 dealer demo with 1,000 miles on it and an additional year or year+ of warranty left. Assume the 1,000 miles consist of no track time
1000 miles over the span of 3-4 months for "test rides" seems like a lot. If the tires don't seem like they've been to the track, it really depends on the price. Dealers usually try to get rid of demo bikes at the end of the season and we're somewhat dead in the middle. If you can get it at, say, 13k USD out the door, seems like a reasonable deal. I think I read this somewhere here where someone asked the same ("I'm considering a demo bike"), but warranties begin the day the bike is bought/registered, so until you buy it (regardless of mileage), you will always start at 2 years of warranty if you're the first owner. The Ducati website warranty page also reflects this.

At the end of the day, unless you get the unfortunate lemon with the constant cold start issue or the absolute disaster @MileyCyrus was given (tons of electrical problems, had bike refunded 9 months after purchase and bought a ZX10R), you'll be having a grin on your face no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6 months left of warranty, sounds like it was one of the first to get sold. A 2016 with 700 miles sounds like its been babied and never rode - obviously a huge assumption. That's like 36 miles a month! If you can, go check it out and get the rider's mindset (ie. is he a hooligan/inexperienced rider or is he a more experienced and responsible individual).
Re: warranty start date, I'll confirm with the dealer.

As far as the 2006 being babied... yes it has only 700 miles on it but the owner could have beaten on it, not followed the break-in procedure and now be trying to sell it for who knows what reason. With the warranty nearly out, I would be a bit hesitant.

But as you said, ultimately, one just has to get a sense for the seller's integrity and get comfortable that he is what he says he is and has treated the bike as he claims to. An inspection of the bike and talks with the seller will get me comfortable. Also, a call to the dealer that performed the 600 mi service for him should help!

I've purchased privately before. I purchased my Monster with 800 miles on it. It's been great to me. I don't think the previous owner beat on it and then got rid of it. Or if he did, it hasn't affected the bike because it's been flawless.

Thanks for the thoughts, all!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about following the break-in procedure as long as it has been serviced.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would rather have a bike that has been broken in on the track than one which has been started and run for less than a minute or two a dozen or more times at the dealership just so that prospective buyers can hear the exhaust... or perhaps ridden 5 miles around the block and not longer periods of time.

A bike that has been to the track is not necessarily a bad thing as it implies it has been taken through the gears and varied the RPMs. A few hundred miles of that and the engine will be well broken in and any flaws or manufacturing defects will become evident quite soon.

One of the best deals to be found on the S1000RR is following a season at the California Superbike School after being put back to stock... the fairings are pretty much brand new and the engine has been well maintained with routine oil changes. Anyone in the market for one should keep an eye out toward the end of the year as they sell off their current stock and look towards purchasing the new model year. Typically, Dylan Code will post up their availability on the S1000RR forum and the seasoned riders begin sniffing around like sharks.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I would agree with @sinjin. Using a bike at the track is not a bad thing, that is what these bikes are built for. I'd rather have a bike run at the track than one lugged up and down the street in stop and go traffic. But the reality of a demo bike is that it has most likely seen both scenarios.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would rather have a bike that has been broken in on the track than one which has been started and run for less than a minute or two a dozen or more times at the dealership just so that prospective buyers can hear the exhaust... or perhaps ridden 5 miles around the block and not longer periods of time.

A bike that has been to the track is not necessarily a bad thing as it implies it has been taken through the gears and varied the RPMs. A few hundred miles of that and the engine will be well broken in and any flaws or manufacturing defects will become evident quite soon.

One of the best deals to be found on the S1000RR is following a season at the California Superbike School after being put back to stock... the fairings are pretty much brand new and the engine has been well maintained with routine oil changes. Anyone in the market for one should keep an eye out toward the end of the year as they sell off their current stock and look towards purchasing the new model year. Typically, Dylan Code will post up their availability on the S1000RR forum and the seasoned riders begin sniffing around like sharks.
It has been known for long time now within performance divisions cars enhusiasts such as AMG Mercedes to never ever buy cars that has been used in their AMG academy. Those cars can be bought with big markups after no longer racing.

Why community agrees to avoid those cars I do not know. My brother in law owns AMG E63s 2015 bought brand new and says when it comes to high end performance vehicles of any kind you have to be very careful where you buy them from. I am thinking this would also apply to motorcycles

1 - 20 of 35 Posts