Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling more throttle play despite having spacers installed. I'm gonna pull them out to see if they've flattened out or deformed at all. Just curious if anyone has seen this as well...

4000+ miles on the spacers

One factor is that I use a canyon dancer tie-down strap. I can see it twisting the throttle sometimes or loading it when it's up against the hard stop.

Thanks for your time and input guys.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, vintage.

·
Registered
892 Posts
From what I remember, they weren't that beefy, but I would have thought it would take a lot more to plastically deform them.

Did you get to pull it apart yet?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet. Going to tonight I hope.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Those old style canyon dancers do wreak havoc on your grips / controls.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the spacers pulled out. There are heavy stress marks on the loaded sides of the spacers. Kinda making me wonder how much deformation the throttle spacer assembly has too, if any. It is a much harder plastic after all.

I've been in touch with the vendor through this forum and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

For anyone with high miles on their spacers, I'd love for one of you to pull yours out for a quick peek. Even if you don't use canyon dancers.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked about the wall thickness and manufacturing tolerances. I'll mic my pieces at work tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the spacers pulled out. There are heavy stress marks on the loaded sides of the spacers. Kinda making me wonder how much deformation the throttle spacer assembly has too, if any. It is a much harder plastic after all.

I've been in touch with the vendor through this forum and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

For anyone with high miles on their spacers, I'd love for one of you to pull yours out for a quick peek. Even if you don't use canyon dancers.

Thanks guys!
Those stress marks usually show up during installation, as the spacer is a pretty tight fit over the nub- don't think those were a result of the canyon dancer. The PP plastic has a bit of "stretch" to it, and it doesn't affect the performance or reliability at all. Once it's in place, normal throttle use doesn't put any additional stress on the spacer. I'll go ahead and reply to your PM with the expected thickness so we can see if the canyon dancer did indeed "squash" the plastic to some degree.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They mic'd to .030" so I'm going to assume there's no problem with the spacers. I appreciate the support!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As a side note,

Does the initial play in the throttle serve any purpose? Why would Ducati manufacture the response this way?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a side note,

Does the initial play in the throttle serve any purpose? Why would Ducati manufacture the response this way?

Thanks
My best theory is that it's designed that way to mimic the feel of a standard cable throttle, with a little slop at the beginning of the travel before the cable goes taut.

There's certainly no performance benefit to the slop, and it only serves to make on/off throttle transitions tougher to modulate. I've logged thousands of miles with the spacers, and there hasn't been a single scenario where I wished I had the slop back!

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The throttle assembly is located on the bar with a detent in a thru-hole. It's slop between the detent and the hole. I shimmed it from day 1 and my shim fell off.

You can shift the entire throttle housing about if you simply grip it and twist.

·
Registered
36 Posts
anyone NOT receive theirs from panigale spacers ?

supposedly have sent me 3 sets now yet none arrive
That's a drastic simplification of what's happened... Your second free, replacement kit is in the mail as of today, so let's keep our fingers crossed! I'm just one guy, trying my best to serve a huge customer base and provide the best service possible.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered mine on eBay. Probably the best mod I've done
I used to agree but the surging is more evident now than it used to be and it mimics a throttle assembly with a lot of play.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to agree but the surging is more evident now than it used to be and it mimics a throttle assembly with a lot of play.
Absolutely no reason the spacer kit should contribute to any throttle surging. Once the throttle is cracked open, the spacer kit has already done its job and is out of the picture. Any surging would have something to do with the bike's fueling.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely no reason the spacer kit should contribute to any throttle surging. Once the throttle is cracked open, the spacer kit has already done its job and is out of the picture. Any surging would have something to do with the bike's fueling.
I agree, I didn't mean for it to sound symptomatic of the spacers.. I'm just saying that the surging makes it similar to having no spacers and endstate: it's not my favorite mod anymore because I have an unrelated problem which replicates a loose throttle system.

I'm still waiting for tuneboy so I can get the cruise!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have no issues with surging throttle. Completely stock bike. Sure you aren't putting too much weight on the bars?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts