Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if there was post previously about this, but what's the most commonly used tire pressure gauge here? And what's the ideal pressure to keep the tires at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Some random digital pressure gauge I got from Walmart back in 2012 or something.

I just run 36psi on both per the manual. Track settings is a whole nother monster, some recommendations in the manual.

From Manual -
Street:
Front - 36 psi
Rear - 36 psi

Track:
Front - 33 psi
Rear - 30 psi

Attachments

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think I ran 26 rear and 28 front when I was at Chuckwalla Raceway - 34 on the street for both

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a quality gauge, the cheap ones aren't accurate. Motion pro is popular but I use a Longacre racing gauge.

Tire pressures depend on what tires you have and your riding style.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I agree, get a high quality tire gauge, the piece of mind is well worth the investment. I've been using the Intercomp Racing brand for quite a few years now and I love it. I prefer analog over the digital. They are available in different sizes and pressure ranges, so be sure you get the 0 - 60psi version. I forget off hand the street pressures I'm running on the 959, but it's whatever is written on the frame tag. I'm guessing somewhere between 36-38 psi.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icp-360060/overview/

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ran my tires at 33/33.5 F/R for the first 2500 miles and just went to factory 36/36 for a run on my usual loop yesterday.

For me the the lower tire pressure felt better, the higher pressure added an "edge" to the road feeling that made everything feel sharper. That may suit some people, but for me I like a softer/compliant setup rather than laser sharp focus.

My tires lasted for @2,500 miles at the 33/33.5 with two track days in there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I ran my tires at 33/33.5 F/R for the first 2500 miles and just went to factory 36/36 for a run on my usual loop yesterday.

For me the the lower tire pressure felt better, the higher pressure added an "edge" to the road feeling that made everything feel sharper. That may suit some people, but for me I like a softer/compliant setup rather than laser sharp focus.

My tires lasted for @2,500 miles at the 33/33.5 with two track days in there.
The lower pressure will provide a larger contact patch for sure, however it also makes your wheels more susceptible to damage on the road. You can get away with lower track pressures since the risk of a pothole or large debris is far less. However, if you ever decide to upgrade the wheels and shell out $2500 - $4000 for a set, you may want to rethink the lower pressure strategy on the street.

My dealer recommended closer to 40 psi here in Dallas because of the poor conditions in many areas.

Even if you have wheel protection, the coverage will not replace the wheel if it is slightly bent, but can still hold air in the tire. They will typically only pay out if it can no longer retain air.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the info Sinjin, lucky to have pristine country roads on my usual route, most of it is a smidge less smooth than some tracks I have been on. I will make extra sure to avoid any serious imperfections.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know if it's just me, but roads here in the DFW are feel more slippery that roads in SoCal. Maybe I just need to get used to the roads. I've felt my back end lose grip on more than one occasion when making non aggressive turns. In SoCal I can tend to do a lot of aggressive turns, but here I'm a bit more cautious due to the slippery roads. :frown2:

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are a several streets around my area of Irving that are not concrete or blacktop, but a combination of cement and shells which is slippery when dry and slick when wet. There won't be a cloud in the sky, however my traction control on the 370Z will engage mid turn if I am not going easy enough.

The storms wash away the grit and leave behind a shiny and smooth surface which doesn't have any traction whatsoever.

I avoid the route altogether when riding.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could it be all the oil in the ground... lol
Laugh, but our gas prices here are lower than what you guys are paying out in SoCal. I don't miss that. Uber and Lyft drivers out here use F150/F250 crew cabs. I thought it was crazy when I first saw that out here.

There are a several streets around my area of Irving that are not concrete or blacktop, but a combination of cement and shells which is slippery when dry and slick when wet. There won't be a cloud in the sky, however my traction control on the 370Z will engage mid turn if I am not going easy enough.

The storms wash away the grit and leave behind a shiny and smooth surface which doesn't have any traction whatsoever.

I avoid the route altogether when riding.
I'm learning to adjust my riding style and go easy on the turns out here because I don't want to scratch up Deja's nice AWS paint job.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I agree, get a high quality tire gauge, the piece of mind is well worth the investment. I've been using the Intercomp Racing brand for quite a few years now and I love it. I prefer analog over the digital. They are available in different sizes and pressure ranges, so be sure you get the 0 - 60psi version. I forget off hand the street pressures I'm running on the 959, but it's whatever is written on the frame tag. I'm guessing somewhere between 36-38 psi.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icp-360060/overview/
I've just invested in a big torque wrench to complement the smaller Craftsman's one I had and now am seeking to buy a good air pressure gauge to replace all the crappy ones I own. If you had to start over, would you buy the Intercomp 2.5" glow, the 2.5" oil filled or a 4" glow (all at 60psi max) ?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I don't know if it's just me, but roads here in the DFW are feel more slippery that roads in SoCal. Maybe I just need to get used to the roads. I've felt my back end lose grip on more than one occasion when making non aggressive turns. In SoCal I can tend to do a lot of aggressive turns, but here I'm a bit more cautious due to the slippery roads. :frown2:

Ghettobird, get out of town and head out to the Farm Market (FM) roads, most of FM 455 between Celina and Anna has been repaved recently and offers excellent traction. FM697 from Whitewright to Sherman is one of the best out here and also has great traction.

Reactions: Ghettobird

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I'm not sure if there was post previously about this, but what's the most commonly used tire pressure gauge here? And what's the ideal pressure to keep the tires at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Road Gear Digital, it's inexpensive, accurate and I've drop tested it a few times with no damage.

I run 34 psi F and R on the road with good traction and steering, you can go a little lower but I wouldn't drop below 32 psi on the road or you're going to be buying new rims.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ghettobird, get out of town and head out to the Farm Market (FM) roads, most of FM 455 between Celina and Anna has been repaved recently and offers excellent traction. FM697 from Whitewright to Sherman is one of the best out here and also has great traction.
Indeed.

I decided to go for a quick ride, (spur of the moment, really - following all the showers we have had over the last couple of weekends) and rode 455 from Preston to 75 and back. That pavement is in better condition than the track at Eagles Canyon Raceway.

Except, there was a Collin County Sheriff hanging out in the church parking lot in Weston facing west at the T junction stop sign. On the way back, he had moved up a little further along the road past the houses on the right where it begins to dip down.

Ida road is definitely worth the journey from Fort Worth...

Reactions: Ghettobird
1 - 20 of 31 Posts