Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah... what do you guys run the OEM tires at on the track? Curious as to what I should start at. Will keep an eye on the tires during the day.

·
Registered
391 Posts
So yeah... what do you guys run the OEM tires at on the track? Curious as to what I should start at. Will keep an eye on the tires during the day.
Lots of factors go into this decision, mainly air temp and track temp. Assuming some somewhat normal ambient temps for this time of year your tires are going to heat up 2-3 psi during your session. So with that said I believe on rossos I was running 32 front 30 rear. But again really depends on temps + conditions that day. Also check psi right before and after each session so you can gauge your hot/cold temps through out the day

·
Registered
892 Posts
Assuming you're new to the track, just run the manual's recommended pressures (page 239):
  • Front tire pressure: 2.3 bar (33 psi)
  • Rear tire pressure: 2.1 bar (30 psi)

If you want better performance and/or tire wear, well then you take into account what @KarlKani said about the gain in pressure. If you aren't new to the track, then you should already be keeping track of pressures and logging them when you go out and when you come in.

Reactions: Dingo and KarlKani

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
As mentioned above there are many factors, but generally you want to go down 2 or 3 psi (Cold) from the recommend street settings to start.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
30 Posts
If this is you're first track day on that bike, then there are two people at the track that should be your best friends by the end of the day. They would be the tire sales rep, and the guy setting up suspensions. The tire guy will be able to give you a good starting point with your pressures.

If the guy doing the suspensions is Eric from Velocity Calibrations, I would highly recommend him.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all the input, guys! I know there are a lot of factors to go into it, but this helps for a place to start. I'll also run by the tire sales people to see what they say.

And yeah, hopefully there will be someone at the track doing suspension. I just checked Velocity Calibrations schedule, and it doesn't look like they'll be at this even. I'm going to Autobahn through Sportbike Track Time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Appreciate all the input, guys! I know there are a lot of factors to go into it, but this helps for a place to start. I'll also run by the tire sales people to see what they say.

And yeah, hopefully there will be someone at the track doing suspension. I just checked Velocity Calibrations schedule, and it doesn't look like they'll be at this even. I'm going to Autobahn through Sportbike Track Time.

Sportbike Track Time are closely affiliated with Sportbike Track gear and would guess that they will be at Autobahn when you are there.
David is a top tire guy and I think he is a Michelin vendor but he will be a good source for advice on almost any tire

·
Registered
56 Posts
I generally run 26 rear and 33 front on mine when hot.
I can see a swing as much as 5 PSI from my first session.
If I run a two day event my morning temps may be at 22 cold and will be back at 26 after my first session for my rear.
The front will be as low as 28 and be back up to 32-33 too.
Generally with your guided sessions it is good to run your tires like Karl said, drop 2-3 lbs from recommended settings and then go from there while the tires heat up more.
Hope this helps and does not confuse you too much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This past monday at Road America cloudy with a 75ish temp for most of the day I ran 26.5 in the back cold and 30 in the front. The Power RS were sticky as ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts