Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their tires yet? I have 4,500 miles and I'm guessing that I have 300 to 500 miles left before I'll need to replace them. It's a little hard to guess because at the end, the tire seems to go so fast. Just curious how many miles other people got out of their tires before needing to replace.

And for those that have already replaced tires, did you just go with the same tires again?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 2900. I think a couple thousand more at the very most but thats it. Depending on your riding, you could probably pull of a harder compound if you're spending most of your time on the highway etc. I did that on my Monster but I rode that bike less aggressively. I'm actually happy to hear you've got 4500 on the tires and they're still not completely wasted.

Keep us posted what on you decide. Tires are pricey for these things if you want to stick with sticky OEM style tires.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Just hit 1000 miles on the OEM Pirelli's and I'm estimating maybe 2000 miles out of the rear. I'm definitely gong to stick with the OEM as a replacement as the TC is calibrated for this tire and they offer incredible stick in the corners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 2500 currently, and my rear is starting to look pretty worn, hopefully I can squeeze out another 1000

·
Registered
42 Posts
are you guy getting most of your wear from highway miles, or from hard riding? i'm a pretty simple rider and most of my miles are coming from daily commuting and simple weekend rides.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
are you guy getting most of your wear from highway miles, or from hard riding? i'm a pretty simple rider and most of my miles are coming from daily commuting and simple weekend rides.

Hard riding in the twisties, I avoid freeway miles like the plague.

I run BT-016 Pros on the rest of my bikes and get 2000-2200 miles out of the rears and 2400-2600 miles out of a front.

I can only dream of getting the kind of mileage some of you guys are getting.:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
I agree! How did you get 4500 miles out a rear? I'm only at about 300 miles and no signs of wear yet. I've tried just about every tire on the market with my Monster, and the best I've ever gotten was a little over 2000 miles with the Michelin Pilot Road 4. That is a great tire for that type of bike. Great wet grip, decent wear and plenty of traction in the dry. I plan on staying with the OEM on the 959 as it seems to be a really good tire. I plan on doing some serious riding this weekend so we'll see what the tires look like on Sunday night.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Has anyone replaced their tires yet? I have 4,500 miles and I'm guessing that I have 300 to 500 miles left before I'll need to replace them. It's a little hard to guess because at the end, the tire seems to go so fast. Just curious how many miles other people got out of their tires before needing to replace.

And for those that have already replaced tires, did you just go with the same tires again?
Can you post a pic of your rear tire? Just curious as to the wear.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you post a pic of your rear tire? Just curious as to the wear.
Sure. I just posted one. There is some crap from the driveway on the tires though. Here's some details for me:
This is my first full sport bike
Bought it February 2nd
Have done 1 track day (about a month ago)
Do a variety of rides. Some rides that are very spirited with 2 to 5 other bikes. Some group rides that are a little less spirited. And some solo rides. Some of it is on the highway, but probably 2/3 is not.
As you can see, chicken strips are bigger than some folks. But they'll decrease over time. :)

I'm planning on going with the same tires again when I do replace them.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mainly commuting for me and I had a chunk of exposed steel at 4200 miles that I didn't see on my morning commute which is thankfully only 12 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mainly commuting for me and I had a chunk of exposed steel at 4200 miles that I didn't see on my morning commute which is thankfully only 12 miles.
Wow. So, I'm guessing that you replaced them right after you took this picture? And replaced them with the same tires?

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the pics guys! That's very encouraging that you're getting that kind of mileage. But quite a difference in the center wear on the two 4000 + pics. I'm at a little over 700 miles now and the center of the rear is only showing a minuscule of wear. What EBC setting are you guys running? I'm on 2 and that seems to work well in conjunction with the mechanical slipper. I think for street riding, the engine brake plays a bit part in the center tire wear.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'm just about 1100 miles and have 2/4/2 settings - center tire wear looks good, but I probably have about 65%/35% straight/twistys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow. So, I'm guessing that you replaced them right after you took this picture? And replaced them with the same tires?
I went with the Pirelli angel gt 180/55/17 this go around. Read lots of reviews and anticipate 6-8k on the rear tire this time around.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Q2 and Q3 always served me well.

I think if I get to the point of needing a Pirelli angel on a Panigale, I probably am using the wrong tool to get the job done. However it's honestly still plenty of performance for the street id imagine so don't let me beat you up.

I'm going with q3's as well.

Reactions: Vic's 959

·
Registered
53 Posts
Q2 and Q3 always served me well.

I think if I get to the point of needing a Pirelli angel on a Panigale, I probably am using the wrong tool to get the job done. However it's honestly still plenty of performance for the street id imagine so don't let me beat you up.

I'm going with q3's as well.
Not at all! My bike is mainly for commuting and im not about to replace my tire every 4K miles. It will see some canyons, but less than 10% of the time. Think I made the right decision for myself anyway.

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Keep us posted on how they behave relative to the corsas.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Never had much luck with the Angel GT's as far as high wear rates on the Monster. (tried both versions) I saw the best mileage with the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Again, I think engine braking is a key factor with tire life.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts