Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Very aggressive back road riding here with lots of throttle on corner exits.....but no drag racing starts. I wear my tires out on the sides, typically have tons of meat left in the middle when they start to "go off" and need replacing. By "go off" I mean they start to behave funny when leaned in requiring lots of midcorner steering corrections to hold the desired line. When it starts to feel like a lot of work, that's my signal it's time to change the tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
No warning lights but by doing so, you're discarding millions of dollars that Ducati spent on engineering, R&D and testing for optimum performance.
Yeah, I'm a bit curious as to the reasoning behind going to a wider tire on these bikes myself. From some of the posts I've been reading it appears it has a negative affect on the rider aids. I would also imagine it may affect the handling. But I've never tired it so I can only speculate.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit curious as to the reasoning behind going to a wider tire on these bikes myself. From some of the posts I've been reading it appears it has a negative affect on the rider aids. I would also imagine it may affect the handling. But I've never tired it so I can only speculate.
What I'm about to write is total conjecture but I believe that a bigger tire is only necessary on the big boy. A smaller tire handles better when you don't need the extreme traction required by a 200hp bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most people that run a 190 on the 899 do it for selection and price. The 190/55 is closer than 180/55 and upsets the electronics significantly less.

TC is very intrusive with a 180/55, I had to turn it down to 1 or off. The 190/55 is fine on pretty much any level. I've never had any ABS issues with either size.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most people that run a 190 on the 899 do it for selection and price. The 190/55 is closer than 180/55 and upsets the electronics significantly less.

TC is very intrusive with a 180/55, I had to turn it down to 1 or off. The 190/55 is fine on pretty much any level. I've never had any ABS issues with either size.
Interesting.

I'm running Diablo Rosso 111 on my 959. DTC set on 3. Tyre size is 180/55. Doesn't upset the electronics at all.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Interesting.

I'm running Diablo Rosso 111 on my 959. DTC set on 3. Tyre size is 180/55. Doesn't upset the electronics at all.
Can you comment on the difference between the Rosso 3 and the OEM Rosso Corsa's?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting.

180/55 is doable on 5-6 TC setting but completely un-ride able in wet mode at the stock settings on my bike. If you lean the bike over AT ALL, it restricts power to the point that your throttle won't hardly do a thing.

The 190/55 I ran was much better in this regard than the 180/55.

As for mileage on tires, this is what I've seen so far on my 899:

OEM Rosso Corsa: 5,500-6,000 miles

SuperCorsa SP: 5,500-5,700 miles

Conti Trail Attack 2 (190/55 rear): 7,200 miles (rear still had a little more to go, maybe 300 miles)

Rosso II: 6,125 miles (ran @ high pressure [41F/38R psi] with luggage and lots of highway+high speed miles) - rear was almost done, front was replaced because it was terribly slippery on corners (never again)

I've currently got a Q3 in 180/55 in the rear and it is my least favorite rear out of all of them tried so far. I was in a pinch and needed a rear quick for cheap, though....

I try to avoid highways when possible, but I have to take them for 40 miles/1 hour to get to the good twisties, so my riding is probably around 35% highway/40% backroad twisties/25% city.

All of my experiences have been the rear tire wears out 1.5-2x as fast as the front. I've been replacing in pairs but I'm debating running a Corsa Rosso up front for 2 cycles, and the harder Rosso II in the rear (because it is available in 180/60 unlike the others).

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts

I gotcha! I've never looked into, or purchased a 190, just a 180 and 200.

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
What I'm about to write is total conjecture but I believe that a bigger tire is only necessary on the big boy. A smaller tire handles better when you don't need the extreme traction required by a 200hp bike.
That's my thought as well. But a 180/60 is not a common size among most tire brands at this stage of the game. Sounds like the guys switching to the 190 are looking to run other brand / model tires.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
The OEM Pirellis offer tons of mechanical grip in my opinion, they just don't last very long.... but I could say the same thing about most any other sport tire that offers equal levels of grip. Grip or high mileage, hard to have both in one tire but if I have to choose, I'll go with grip any day. For now, I'm sticking with the Corsa Rossos.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
@Kruz
Agreed. Last season was solely street for me but 2017 will be R & T for the Panigale now that I have a Monster.
However, I think SP's will be too much and I'm replacing the Panigale's Rossa Corsa's with the same.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some interesting experiences being explained here.
DarR: R u asking for my observations on handling differences or specifics between the 2 tyres?
xCLR8TN: R u riding the 959 now or r u still on the 899 and is all the info above purely on the 899?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
DarR: R u asking for my observations on handling differences or specifics between the 2 tyres?
Yes. Can you comment on the "handling" difference on dry pavement between the Rosso 3 and the OEM Rosso Corsa's?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes. Can you comment on the "handling" difference on dry pavement between the Rosso 3 and the OEM Rosso Corsa's?
Road use only.......the handling is no different to the OEM Rosso Corsa. I feel comfortable on either tyre.
So far.....I've totaled 10'420 km on the 959. The Rosso 111's have done 6'120km (photos). The OEM tyres I changed out at 4'300km and there wasn't much left in them.
The OEM rear tyre on my 899 got me 7'000km.
I believe EBC makes a huge diff.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
The OEM Pirellis offer tons of mechanical grip in my opinion, they just don't last very long.... but I could say the same thing about most any other sport tire that offers equal levels of grip. Grip or high mileage, hard to have both in one tire but if I have to choose, I'll go with grip any day. For now, I'm sticking with the Corsa Rossos.
I would agree. I think the OE tires work extremely well on this bike for the street.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts