Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm glad you told me this because I was going to take mine in for the 600 hour service there.:frown2:

Here is my quandary, I can do the 600 hour service myself for about $70 for parts and oil if ordered online. This way I know it's done correctly and don't have to worry about a ham fisted mechanic scratching my stuff up but then I have the issue of the Service Light and possible warranty issues if a claim ever came up.
You can always do what O_O did and take before pictures of everything for comparison. Since you can do it yourself, it'll be easier for you to spot and mistakes they've made before you ride away from your dealership.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm still in pain over this stupid little paint chip. First world problems.
>_<

It's such a silly thing to worry about and I feel bad just for calling them out for it, but I did pay a premium for a brand new top-of-the-line bike and expected nothing short of complete care for it when dropping it off. This isn't like dropping your car at the local euro-mechanic and getting it back with smudges everywhere, or at least, it shouldn't be.

So dumb...
Not silly, if they can scratch/prick your tank, they can give you a new one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We looked over the video together, seeked over the 2 hours of video in about 20 minutes and I didn't see anything.
Granted he did have time to review it beforehand and he was the one showing me the 5 minute video segments that the system recorded.
Technically this means nothing unless the footage was released to me and I could view it myself, but I ended up taking the blame for the paint chip because I didn't want to continue accusing the shop of doing it if I'm not 100% certain they did it.

In other news, I got a flat tire two days ago and took it to said shop.

Flat tire was due to a nail from nearby construction. Ducati Card Assistance did not cover the towing because it was a flat tire. My insurance may cover the towing. A new Pirelli Rosso Corsa tire is $240 retail. It's what they quoted me, I believe. Online I've seen them for $160.

·
Registered
173 Posts
First off not silly, not what I call a first world problem. You work hard, afford nice things, and should value them. Dont ever feel bad about any of that. Sucks about the tire, and we all know dealers are higher, but that price difference is ridiculous. IMO its time to shop.

I have a dealer 5 minutes from my house. I ride 50 minutes one way instead to another. (sales and service).

·
Registered
41 Posts
We looked over the video together, seeked over the 2 hours of video in about 20 minutes and I didn't see anything.
Granted he did have time to review it beforehand and he was the one showing me the 5 minute video segments that the system recorded.
Technically this means nothing unless the footage was released to me and I could view it myself, but I ended up taking the blame for the paint chip because I didn't want to continue accusing the shop of doing it if I'm not 100% certain they did it.

In other news, I got a flat tire two days ago and took it to said shop.

Flat tire was due to a nail from nearby construction. Ducati Card Assistance did not cover the towing because it was a flat tire. My insurance may cover the towing. A new Pirelli Rosso Corsa tire is $240 retail. It's what they quoted me, I believe. Online I've seen them for $160.
Oh my gosh man, sorry about that. Have you looked into a touch up kit? I had to touch up a scrape on my back left fairing and i used touchupdirect.com I had to keep painting a wipe off excess about 3-4 times but it works and you cant tell it was scratched. I recommend it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doing oil service yourself and resetting the dash light

Resetting the oil change light/service and dashboard warning lights is actually an easy task with a couple very inexpensive pieces and a laptop running Windows. Will pay for itself in one service - especially the 600 mile one - will need to download (and register) the MelcoDiag software (freeware but a Paypal donation is a nice gesture).

Amazon for the Elm327 FORScan OBD2 USB scanner for $22.99 Prime (got mine from OBDResource)
“ELM327 FORScan OBD2 Adapter ELMconfig OBDII USB Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool with MS-CAN HS-CAN Switch” (keep the switch on the device in the “HS” setting)

And the Ducati 4 pin To OBD2 Diagnostic adapter to mate it to the diagnostic (DDS) plug under the passenger seat (from EBAY - seller was “demyaaleks”) $31 & free shipping.

A Youtube video is out there that helps show you how to do it. Was a little quirky at first but it worked like a champ. No more service light and dashboard alert that got triggered when I disconnected the temp sensor and turned on accidentally. Also allows you to see a list of error codes stored on the bike. I didn’t realize my exhaust potentiometer was shorted out and not working - no dash warning - but was wondering why I had so much more visible exhaust (water vapor on a freezing morning at the track) than my buddy’s exact same 959.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have an up-map on your bike? This is the only thing preventing me from performing my own rest. I am scared to lose my upmap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Doing oil service yourself and resetting the dash light

Resetting the oil change light/service and dashboard warning lights is actually an easy task with a couple very inexpensive pieces and a laptop running Windows. Will pay for itself in one service - especially the 600 mile one - will need to download (and register) the MelcoDiag software (freeware but a Paypal donation is a nice gesture).

Amazon for the Elm327 FORScan OBD2 USB scanner for $22.99 Prime (got mine from OBDResource)
“ELM327 FORScan OBD2 Adapter ELMconfig OBDII USB Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool with MS-CAN HS-CAN Switch” (keep the switch on the device in the “HS” setting)

And the Ducati 4 pin To OBD2 Diagnostic adapter to mate it to the diagnostic (DDS) plug under the passenger seat (from EBAY - seller was “demyaaleks”) $31 & free shipping.

A Youtube video is out there that helps show you how to do it. Was a little quirky at first but it worked like a champ. No more service light and dashboard alert that got triggered when I disconnected the temp sensor and turned on accidentally. Also allows you to see a list of error codes stored on the bike. I didn’t realize my exhaust potentiometer was shorted out and not working - no dash warning - but was wondering why I had so much more visible exhaust (water vapor on a freezing morning at the track) than my buddy’s exact same 959.
Do you have an up-map on your bike? This is the only thing preventing me from performing my own rest. I am scared to lose my upmap.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts