Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the service manual handy?
Thanks! I read in another thread that it was 132 ft lbs for the rear, but I don't know if that is what the manual says, or if that is just what some dude did. I wasn't able to find anything about the front axle.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
30mm 6-pt socket for the front
36mm 12-pt socket for the rear.
Check front and rear wheel shaft tightening (front: 63Nm ± 5% - rear: 180Nm±5%);
Check the brake calliper retaining screws tightening (front: 45Nm ± 5% - rear: 25Nm±5%);

Reactions: msdss

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
It would also behoov you to check your front sprocket fastener. They have a tendency of coming loose and a lot of people safety wire them as a result.

The 600mi service also calls out checking that torque spec.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would also behoov you to check your front sprocket fastener. They have a tendency of coming loose and a lot of people safety wire them as a result.

Already did my 600 mile service. They found an issue with my front sprocket, so i would imagine they re-torqued all that ****.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Reactions: Kevin.H

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
132 lb-ft for the 959 rear axle nut? Why such high torque, my ZX-14 calls for 94 lb-ft on that nut and has way more torque delivered to the rear wheel than a 959.

Just curious.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
132 lb-ft for the 959 rear axle nut? Why such high torque, my ZX-14 calls for 94 lb-ft on that nut and has way more torque delivered to the rear wheel than a 959.

Just curious.
When Vito asks for torque, Mario gives it to him.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yea, I'll probably stick with the 132 lb-ft figure but apparently Mario was off for the day when they assembled my 959 and Godzilla torqued the rear axle nut. I applied about 300 lbs of force to an 18" breaker bar and that nut won't budge. This thing is stupid tight.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
This was one of my best purchases!

·
Registered
892 Posts
This was one of my best purchases!
I second this. Breaker bars got nothing on a decent impact wrench. Electric ones are surprisingly powerful/torquey.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Yes they are, and they make different levels. I suggest getting a 1/2" drive 18 v with at least 200 ft lbs of torque if you're going to use it on wheel nuts.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Got it folks, had my neighbor sit on the bike (180 lbs) while I used a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3' long cheater pipe.

I lifted him and the rear end of the bike about 3 inches off the ground before it let go. Holy Mother of Mercy was that thing ever tight!

Doug did you put a little thread lube on the axle nut before re-installing, this thing was as dry as a powder biscuit?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yea, that impact would be a smart purchase but this is the first time I've ever run into any thing like this on any motorcycle, normally a 1/2" drive breaker bar, 18" long and anything on a bike will come off. I could have used it pulling the clutch basket nut on my 10R awhile back come to think of it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I'll probably stick with the 132 lb-ft figure but apparently Mario was off for the day when they assembled my 959 and Godzilla torqued the rear axle nut. I applied about 300 lbs of force to an 18" breaker bar and that nut won't budge. This thing is stupid tight.
Well, at least it wasn't loose? :D

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

I'd better check mine then, what is the torque and what size socket?

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
It's an M10 hhcs and the spec is 55nm +\- 5%

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
Yea, that impact would be a smart purchase but this is the first time I've ever run into any thing like this on any motorcycle, normally a 1/2" drive breaker bar, 18" long and anything on a bike will come off. I could have used it pulling the clutch basket nut on my 10R awhile back come to think of it.

FYI, You only ever use an impact gun to remove a torqued fastener, never for install...

I use a dab of anti-seize on the threads.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts