Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a big high speed crash last Sunday. If you are part of the FB "Panigale Riders" group you've probably seen this. But I ran into a slower rider who was off pace and decided to move into the race line instead of staying put.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll know more today, but right now it's a broken toe, and shoulder that will probably need surgery. Everything else is just bruised and sore.

·
Registered
389 Posts
**** sorry to hear man, but in the grand scheme of things not too bad. I ma always paranoid of this type of thing happening on track. I know you were on the race line but also there was a lot more track to the left. Get healed up and and the bike back together get back out there man!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jesus fucking Christ I would have been pissed!!!!!! I don't want to arm chair QB this, but almost looks like you saw him and wasn't sure what his intentions were and you kept your line and he just seemed to SLOWLY make his way to the right. Jesus wept. Get yourself healed up and back out there!

-J:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Detached rotator cuff was the diagnosis. As far a what happened, in "A" group you should know better than to be off pace like that and move into the race line. You are supposed to stay out of the way and on the inside. I committed early to pass him on the outside thinking he would hold his line. I also didn't expect for him to slow down to a "C" group pace entering the corner.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mixed riding groups, aka Open Session - slow guys always stay to the outside is what I know...

Hope you heal quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What I find really odd is that he probably would’ve gone over the pit entry line if you didn’t get mixed in with him. Why go that far!?!? He was already at the outside of the track, further on is pit entry...
I want to know what he was thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow man, glad you’re ok. Great video and totally see that you were chasing that one dude, balked by traffic (excellent wide line outside pass btw), then was on the chase. You’re closing speed on that pit exiter was crazy, You already committed to your braking line pretty much the millisecond before you saw him, super bad luck. Could’ve easily gone the other way if “others” played by the rules.

Love out braking people on the 959, only way to catch the super bikes, but in traffic I am always freaking out about your exact situation...or a mechanical failure.

Stay off the opioids, and you’ll be back on the track by July!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Holy God.... That exact scenario is one of my biggest fears at the track I ride at. Long straight into the 150's and hard on the brakes at the end for a tight right hander. Any input to anybody from the other rider on exactly what in the heck he was doing? Not to minimize the damage you took but glad you didn't turn out even worse. It blows me away that an advanced group rider would be that far off pace on the line.

Hoping you have a quick recovery and can post some more videos (minus, you know, the crashing part)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'll know more today, but right now it's a broken toe, and shoulder that will probably need surgery. Everything else is just bruised and sore.

Prompt recovery.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Geez I watched that video 7 times, hope you heal up fast man, that was some bs! Hope it can be rebuilt so you can hit the track again if you don't mind me asking what model gear did you have on?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Glad you're okay! Crashing sucks, but especially when you collide with another rider. I would agree this dude was braking significantly earlier than you here and you certainly came up on him super fast, which made him difficult to avoid under braking. A rider's tendency is to always move to the outside when setting up for a corner. I really fear that type of crash so I always hang back a little further than usual going into the braking zone with slower riders, and look to the inside for the pass. Hope you're back in action very soon!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all I'm back at it after a two week rest after surgery. Had a open surgery to re-attach my rotor cuff and I'm in a sling for six weeks, only four more to go. The bike can be fixed and did have some crazy damage I've never seen before. Most of my gear got wrecked, some can be fixed. I had Sidi Vortice boots on which broke a couple of the tensioners, ground up the ankle support braces, and on the boot I broke a toe in the sole partially separated from the boot and needs to be re-glued. My AGV carbon pista helmet hit the ground, so that has a scuff. I had some Berik kangaroo leathers on and they are messed up pretty good. The bike bent the front axle so bad I had to cut it to get it out of the wheel. The wheel has a small wobble to it and I will get it straightened. The fender ripped off and broke the crossover brake line with it. Forks look good and straight. The rotors look bent because the axle bent and cocked the wheel so much that it locked up the front wheel binding the rotors in the calipers. Broke the left handle bar and switch assembly. the upper fairing stay, and the rear tray. That corner is usually taken at 90-100 mph at the apex, he was probably doing 60mph or slower at the beginning of the braking zone and crossed into the race line. I hit the brakes in a panic and the *** end came up, I quickly let go because you just cant maneuver on the front wheel. You can see when that happens if you watch close enough. I had the DP unpainted race kit on so my red bodywork and lights were off the bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would assume from your avatar you're fairly familiar with "Road Warrior",
...The rotors look bent because the axle bent and cocked the wheel so much that it locked up the front wheel binding the rotors in the calipers. Broke the left handle bar and switch assembly. the upper fairing stay, and the rear tray.
...reminded me of this;

https://youtu.be/QD3a7HnuDSw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts