Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
@chaitanya
The bluing of your exhaust looks great! Was it the US guys that flew over or is it a local team? I've been twice and always enjoyed their instruction.

Oddly, I had a 1 on 1 with a Yamaha racing instructor last summer and he was adamant about trying things that CSS thinks are BS, like weighting your inside peg to help turn the bike. Keith Code says the only way to turn is by counter steering, I did find that weighting my foot allowed me to be more accurate with my bike's line. Funny how the school of thought differs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@chaitanya
The bluing of your exhaust looks great! Was it the US guys that flew over or is it a local team? I've been twice and always enjoyed their instruction.
Thanks! Yeah it was the US guys that flew over. I didn't try weighting my inside peg but I really like counter steering, flicks the bike super quick. I was a bit scared to try it initially, then I started running wide as I could not lean quickly when approaching at higher speeds, counter steer helped me there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
@chaitanya

Oddly, I had a 1 on 1 with a Yamaha racing instructor last summer and he was adamant about trying things that CSS thinks are BS, like weighting your inside peg to help turn the bike. Keith Code says the only way to turn is by counter steering, I did find that weighting my foot allowed me to be more accurate with my bike's line. Funny how the school of thought differs.
Thanks! Yeah it was the US guys that flew over. I didn't try weighting my inside peg but I really like counter steering, flicks the bike super quick. I was a bit scared to try it initially, then I started running wide as I could not lean quickly when approaching at higher speeds, counter steer helped me there.
I did the Yamaha school in NJ as well. It is interesting how Yamaha teaches never to "flick" the bike. They are all about being super smooth even when acting quickly.

Seems like a real rivalry between CSS and YCRS. I plan on trying CSS some time. Much to learn from different perspectives.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It was track time last weekend at California SuperBike School in India, super fun, lot to learn!
Those pictures are awesome! I’m going to be doing levels 1 and 2 in May. Any tips or things I should know ahead of time?

And did CSS have someone taking pictures, or was there a third party company there doing it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the Yamaha school in NJ as well. It is interesting how Yamaha teaches never to "flick" the bike. They are all about being super smooth even when acting quickly.

Seems like a real rivalry between CSS and YCRS. I plan on trying CSS some time. Much to learn from different perspectives.
Yeah a good idea to do both and pick the best of both worlds, I guess eventually it boils down to what works for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those pictures are awesome! I’m going to be doing levels 1 and 2 in May. Any tips or things I should know ahead of time?

And did CSS have someone taking pictures, or was there a third party company there doing it?
Try if you can read "A Twist of the wrist" before going. Also try doing a trackday a few days after CSS just to practice the drills, since there's lot to remember. Dylan was conducting classes for us here and he did a great job, just the way he was explaining in simple terms made me feel I kinda knew it already.

About pictures, no, CSS did not have anyone taking pictures, there was a third party company doing it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try if you can read "A Twist of the wrist" before going. Also try doing a trackday a few days after CSS just to practice the drills, since there's lot to remember. Dylan was conducting classes for us here and he did a great job, just the way he was explaining in simple terms made me feel I kinda knew it already.

About pictures, no, CSS did not have anyone taking pictures, there was a third party company doing it.
Yeah, I've heard that book is a good read. There are actually two books now. Did you read both?

I am doing other track days in the summer, don't know when they'll be though. Hopefully soon after the classes!

What level(s) did you do?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Why? Too low?

Not sure what you mean by low... but once you get up to temp and start breaking hard they fade and lose bite. I should’ve prefaced my comment with - if you’re an Advanced Track Rider. If you’re just out to learn and/or have a good time then the stock pads will suit you fine. But after a couple laps of braking hard from 130-140mph to 60 to enter a turn, multiplied by a couple turns/lap they just fail. That’s been my experience at Chuckwalla raceway - haven’t been somewhere else yet.
I just received my SBS 900DS pads and will put them on this weekend. My next track day will be Laguna Seca sometime in June I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure what you mean by low... but once you get up to temp and start breaking hard they fade and lose bite. I should’ve prefaced my comment with - if you’re an Advanced Track Rider. If you’re just out to learn and/or have a good time then the stock pads will suit you fine. But after a couple laps of braking hard from 130-140mph to 60 to enter a turn, multiplied by a couple turns/lap they just fail. That’s been my experience at Chuckwalla raceway - haven’t been somewhere else yet.
I just received my SBS 900DS pads and will put them on this weekend. My next track day will be Laguna Seca sometime in June I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. I understood

·
Registered
224 Posts
The season has started in the Northeast! Hit NJMP for the first time in about 5 years on Monday, perfect weather, good people, and tested my data logger. It was supposed to gather info off the ECU for RPM/Gear/Brake-Throttle pressure but failed for whatever reason.

The only downside so far of a data logger (besides the current position which I hate)...it confirms how slow I am!

On my last session I put my GoPro on for a video overlay, enjoy.

NJMP 5-7-2018

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 1st track day ever was 4 days ago... gotta love my n00b bib and lack of body positioning!! Next track day is on the 27th.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice!!! One tip....try to relax on the bike. Wiggle your elbow and arms from time to time. It will help loosen up your grip on the handle bars. Relax that shoulder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What track is that?
New York Safety Track
Yup..! Next one one the 27th is at NJMP.

Nice!!! One tip....try to relax on the bike. Wiggle your elbow and arms from time to time. It will help loosen up your grip on the handle bars. Relax that shoulder.
Yea. I need to breathe and relax a **** ton more. I was very tense being out the 1st time on a track. The more and more this becomes the norm, the more and more I will be more relaxed and calm. THanks for the arm wiggle tip..! I'll give it a shot next time!

61 - 80 of 120 Posts