Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I plan on doing my first track day with the 959 and im not sure how to disable the rear and headlights. I do have a set of trakbrand light covers I've never used before but they reccomend disabling the lights. Anyone have experience with them? Also what tire pressures are recommended for the stock tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the light covers you'll be fine. No need to disable the lights. The cheapest way is to use painters tape. I use Trakbrand as well however on my other bikes I've just use painter's tape. if you want to have fun with it, use painter's tape and then any styled (ductape with designs, etc.) over the painter's tape.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you can unplug the lights but you also need to unplug the brake light switches. If you activate the brake light when it is unplugged it will throw a code and CEL.

t_bare

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another simple and cheaper trick is to just get a 12” x 12” matte black vinyl sheet (used in the Cricket type vinyl cutters) found at every craft and hobby store (ie Michaels) . It is easy to cut and make some duplicates of the trackbrand stuff which is nice but just too expensive to use and remove each track day. ive used it to cover both headlight and taillights (I did buy a set of Trackbrand covers but they are not total wraps if you want to do more permanent job. Say for instance if you are not planning on street riding and making track bike only. You can readily remove the headlamp glass and entire taillight red piece and cover it completely with some creative cutting and patience to get it smooth. This way you have complete coverage and nothing peaking through along the edges. You can unplug all the head lamp bulbs on the 959 and the rear taillights (have to remove the left rear fairing piece to get to the plug but it’s easy. As mentioned above if you unplug the tail light as soon as you activate either front or rear brake it will throw and error code and CEL/Check Engine Light on the dash. To avoid this simply unplug both the front and rear brake switch wires which can be found by tracing the wires from each lever. Will look for some picture to show you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Disconnect he rear brake switch wire under the black plastic piece on Right side, just trace the wire from the rear brake pedal upward. A bit tricker but You and take the waterproof connector off its mount to do it by sliding it rearward . Pic shows a plug / cap I made to seal it although not really needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nola Bill TY I see the tail light and brake wires, but which one kills the headlight??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nola Bill TY I see the tail light and brake wires, but which one kills the headlight??
you can just unplug the 4 headlamp bulbs, kind of a pain in the butt. there is also an “LED parking light” that comes on with the ignition that is nice to have off as well. I will look back at my pics to see how I capped the connectors off just to make protect from moisture. if I recall correctly disconnecting alll the headlamps and LED up front does not throw an error code. I don’t get any and all my lights are off. Just make sure you dont turn on the ignition if you have the temperature sensor unplugged which is also attached to the headlamp assembly as that will throw a CEL

·
Registered
15 Posts

yes I just put a piece of heat shrink that I squashed closed on one end over the male plug end for each of the 4 bulbs. I did find the appropriate plug blanks from an electrical supply house that I will use as caps the next time I take it all apart for a truly dedicated track Only setup. You can also find the Ducati GPS plug end in this area that serves as a nice fused and ignition-switched And delayed 12V power source for a lap timer such as an AIM Solo (not needed with the data logger version Because it gets its power from the data plug in the tail). Will find pics on how I made a factory type direct plug-in for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here they are from electrical hub and the LED cap could be obtained from Digi-key. Need the little rubber plugs that go in the wire holes to seal or just use bit of epoxy to seal the holes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts