Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first track day on the 959, and really the first day I was able to ride the bike. I have a few hundred freeway miles on it but it's really a new bike to me. My first impressions are the stock suspension needs help, it's too soft for the track. And I forgot to play with the engine braking settings to see if that would help me with turn in, it didn't feel as precise as I was hoping for. Not a lot of feedback on what the front end was doing but I wasn't riding hard enough to worry about it. With all the mid-range this bike has you get to take advantage of the tall street gearing pretty easily.
Enjoy

· Registered
1,948 Posts
Did you adjust the suspension taking into account the settings mentioned in the Owners Manual for Track Use?
My 2 track days with mine were great. The bike is on rails- it goes where u Point it without hesitation so I’m a little suspect of your comment about the suspension being too soft and others...
What were your tire pressures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I adjusted the suspension, I'm 6'1" and 200 pounds. So I am going to need 1.0kg springs and a different shim stack in the front. Tire pressures were 28F-24R cold on Pirelli race tires.

· Super Moderator
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really nice video. Impressive riding skills, and great job avoiding getting taken out from that other rider's crash. That must have shaken you up more than a little bit. :wink2:
The bike hit me in the shoulder and elbow when it started to tumble. You can see the bars move real quick and hear a little thud when it happens. But I thought I was going down for a second there. I tucked the front and crashed at that corner on street tires last time I was there.

· Registered
224 Posts
Holy smokes is that a sweet track! Elevation changes are always subdued on the GoPro so it must be hella-fun.

Had the suspension set up at break in service, have not had slicks on yet but the vague front end feeling you described was evident to me on the stock Rosso's but once I went to SC's I had a lot more feedback and confidence.

Need to save up some cash and road trip one spring to Cali for a track crawl, Laguna, Willow Springs, and now Thunderhill on the list. Might as well add Barber and CoTA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.