Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just ordered an SMC-600R. Should arrive on Friday. Can you share the front wheel chock hole that you adjusted it to? And any other settings that you had for adjustable parts? I figure that if it works for you, it will for me and I'd rather learn from you than through trial and error. I'm assuming that everything on the 899 is roughly the same size as the 959. It looks like getting the front wheel chock adjusted to the correct notch will be very helpful.

I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Crew Cab 4wd. The max. tongue load is 610 pounds. Since the 959 is 430 pounds and this carrier is ~90 pounds, that should be 520 pounds total which would be fine for my truck. Let me know if I'm missing anything though please.

I saw a video on Youtube of a guy tying down a different bike and he used 2 ratchets for the front, 1 for the rear wheel, and 1 for the rider foot pegs. He just went from peg to peg going under the carrier. I'm assuming that wouldn't hurt to do. What do you think?

The magnetic trailer light setup is about $75. I've never bought them, but I was expecting it to be a little cheaper. But it sounds like it's worth the $$. And I'd assume that you could use it with other trailers (as long as they are metal)...
I know @Dallas is happy with this carrier. How about you @avigil?

It seems possible to load this carrier alone. See video.

On sale today at discount ramps for $200.

Just placed an order.

Not confirmed yet but likely have a track day scheduled for next weekend with private coaching from Kyle Wyman.

http://kylewymanracing.com/

That young man can ride.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Received my carrier. It was easy to assemble, and seems fairly well made. I still can't believe it will hold my Panigale. I will need to see it to believe it.

The ramp angle is pretty steep up to my trailer hitch height. Intimidating.

The one piece of the unit that is absolutely substandard are the tie down rings. One of mine was completely cracked through the threads. See pics.

Even the ones that were not damaged look untrustworthy with very poor looking metal molded with gaps and gouges in the material. Really bad. They should charge and extra $10 and source quality hardware for this component.

Update:

Tested the carrier with my small DR200S dual sport. Amazing. It actually securely carries a motorcycle!

The ramp is way too slippery and steep for me to attempt loading the pani. I need to fashion a ramp extender and put some non slip tape on the ramp.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Received my carrier. It was easy to assemble, and seems fairly well made. I still can't believe it will hold my Panigale. I will need to see it to believe it.

The ramp angle is pretty steep up to my trailer hitch height. Intimidating.

The one piece of the unit that is absolutely substandard are the tie down rings. One of mine was completely cracked through the threads. See pics.

Even the ones that were not damaged look untrustworthy with very poor looking metal molded with gaps and gouges in the material. Really bad. They should charge and extra $10 and source quality hardware for this component.

Update:

Tested the carrier with my small DR200S dual sport. Amazing. It actually securely carries a motorcycle!

The ramp is way too slippery and steep for me to attempt loading the pani. I need to fashion a ramp extender and put some non slip tape on the ramp.
I envy you people with cars that have hitches with a max tongue weight of >500#. What vehicle are you loading it on @Pard?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 Cherokee Overland that I plan to tow with - I need a new tongue for the ball, the one from my Acura is too small, if anyone is selling one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been using the SMC-600 for about two seasons now with my 2015 Grand Cherokee and have had great results. Always feels pretty sturdy and secure with the canyon dancer in the front and two straps on the pax pegs in the rear.

I did add a strip LED trailer light for added safety and visability...can't remember the cost but it was probably less than $20 on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have been using the SMC-600 for about two seasons now with my 2015 Grand Cherokee and have had great results. Always feels pretty sturdy and secure with the canyon dancer in the front and two straps on the pax pegs in the rear.

I did add a strip LED trailer light for added safety and visability...can't remember the cost but it was probably less than $20 on Amazon.
Much obliged for the vote of confidence in the unit!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

Really nice! Do you have the adjustable air suspension? Q: My Overland has it, how do you think it will handle the extra weight if I went the same route you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the adjustable air suspension will definitely help you out... I don't have it and my jeep does sit quite a bit under the extra weight. I still have enough travel to absorb the shocks from New England potholes but I try to avoid the big bumps and try to keep the bike and jeep suspension loaded for as short of a time as possible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I drilled another through hole in the hitch square tube. The original placements leave quite a long moment arm with the bike sitting pretty far away from my car. I drilled another hole about 3-4 inches closer to the rail to shorten up how far out the bike was hanging.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have the dual ride up Kendon. I would definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have seen a lot of these types of trailers for similar prices. 2k is wild to me, that is not far off from an enclosed trailer.
Indeed. Seems that the less expensive products such as these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Shopzilla&utm_campaign=Trailers + Towing > Trailers&utm_content=14717&szredirectid=15446319762685362983510070301008005
look alike but have inferior materials, builds, and most importantly service performance and reliability.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I found the most cost effective is to borrow a friend's "Happy Ducati" trailer for track days when I can get my hands on it. Although I'm certainly entertaining purchasing an enclosed as it's good for all weather and different applications. Moreover, they're not that much more expensive than some of the open and single purpose motorcycle units being offered.

Attachments

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have been using the Harbor Freight trailer for years and it works great. I just repack the wheel bearings every year.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html
Any pics?

Did you put a wooden floor and chock on there?

What do you use for a ramp?

I have no space to store a trailer that does not fold up and have a small footprint. That is why I am kind of limited to looking at the fold up type trailers.

10% off at discount ramps on the stinger fold up trailer and free shipping.

https://www.discountramps.com/stinger-motorcycle-trailer/p/STNG-5452/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any pics?

Did you put a wooden floor and chock on there?

What do you use for a ramp?

I have no space to store a trailer that does not fold up and have a small footprint. That is why I am kind of limited to looking at the fold up type trailers.

10% off at discount ramps on the stinger fold up trailer and free shipping.

https://www.discountramps.com/stinger-motorcycle-trailer/p/STNG-5452/

Pard,

The trailer folds up probably to about 48 in. wide by 36 in. deep. It has enough space that I can stick some of my track gear underneath it to gain some space back.

I use the Harbor Freight Convertable Loading Ramp. Trailer is low enough to the ground I can usually push the bike up by myself without using the throttle.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Pard
As much as I like an enclosed for all of it's virtues, I feel the pain of those when parking space for it is limited to none.

Reactions: Pard
41 - 60 of 71 Posts