Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.facebook.com/TuneboyAU/posts/856373551165047

Pick up the 959 today. Mine is patient Zero, the first. Cruise control, launch control, disable PAIR valve, open and disable exhaust servo, full dyno tune circa 13:1 AFR, 3 TPS maps (standard, 70% twist = 100% throttle, TPS = A torque value rather than a throttle value). New QS system with auto blip for up and down shifting...... as you can imagine I'm pretty excited :) odds are, if this becomes an 'off the shelf' product, it'll be my map you get

If interested I can report back or explain what I've had done.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice! Did you happen to have a baseline run to compare to?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dyno attached. Pretty happy with 11hp over stock with a stock setup.
I must say, the bike sounds so much better with the exhaust servo open. It feels better to ride, not WOW amazing but there's definitely a little more there. The best improvement is the low throttle response and on-off transitions, it's quite a lot smoother although not perfect.
Cruise control is excellent... can't really fault it.
The quick shifter I'm confused about... Full throttle up shifts are fine, no better then stock though. 4 times out of 5 It somehow how deals with slow / low throttle upshifts butter smooth too whereas the OEM one would jerk and was a bit rough, the problem is 1 time out of 5 if jerks making me lose confidence using it for anything other than full throttle shifting, as such there is no gain over the OEM system.
The auto-blip down shifting I just can't figure out... I think you have to have a near neutral throttle, not decelerating too much. It seems to jerk and even surge me forward. I don't think it works the way other systems do, and tries to vary the blip based on shift pressure, engine rpm, and throttle position but seems to get it wrong half the time.... and again meaning I don't really want to use it. That said, I've only tired it punting around town between 1/2/3 gears and not higher speed canyons, track work where it might come into it's own.

Summary... value for money it's worth it for
- 10hp more
- Smoother but not perfect low throttle response and transitions
- Exhaust note more throaty and louder (not significantly however)
- Cruise Control
- Did I mention CRUISE CONTROL

However...save your money on
- QS ...just not worth the extra $500 IMHO

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it easy to change TPS to 1:1?
I thought the stock TPS mapping was 1:1 but then again, I guess the OEM rider modes do muck around with TPS mapping.

I now have 3 modes,

1. Stock (TPS = throttle position)

2. TPS = a torque value. What this means in practise is any given throttle position calls on the ECU to produce X value of torque, now typically as RPM increases the torque value falls off. What now happens is the ECU will automatically add throttle to maintain the torque level.

3. TPS = a torque value but the 70% of the throttle calls on max power. (like a quick action throttle).

It's funny how clever throttle mapping can give the illusion of more power or torque. I'm not a fan of options 2 and 3 because I don't like the idea that the throttle has a mind of it's own.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good to hear it smoothens the on-off transitions. Overall, what's the cost looking like?

The auto-blip down shifting I just can't figure out... I think you have to have a near neutral throttle, not decelerating too much. It seems to jerk and even surge me forward. I don't think it works the way other systems do, and tries to vary the blip based on shift pressure, engine rpm, and throttle position but seems to get it wrong half the time.... and again meaning I don't really want to use it. That said, I've only tired it punting around town between 1/2/3 gears and not higher speed canyons, track work where it might come into it's own.
If its only working near neutral acceleration, it sounds like its not working at all. Without an autoblipper/quickshifter, you can jam upshift/downshift any straight-cut gear transmission when its effectively unloaded. So if I'm understanding correctly, while under 0% throttle and decelerating, the auto-blipper isn't working? Your new QS rod should be taking the upshift movement as action to blip the throttle; it sounds like either the rod isn't responding, or the TuneBoy isn't setup for auto blip.

I'd be interested to hear about if it works at higher RPMs though, please chime in when you get more testing in!

I thought the stock TPS mapping was 1:1 but then again, I guess the OEM rider modes do muck around with TPS mapping.

I now have 3 modes,

1. Stock (TPS = throttle position)

2. TPS = a torque value. What this means in practise is any given throttle position calls on the ECU to produce X value of torque, now typically as RPM increases the torque value falls off. What now happens is the ECU will automatically add throttle to maintain the torque level.

3. TPS = a torque value but the 70% of the throttle calls on max power. (like a quick action throttle).

It's funny how clever throttle mapping can give the illusion of more power or torque. I'm not a fan of options 2 and 3 because I don't like the idea that the throttle has a mind of it's own.

I believe your #3 is pretty close to how the stock ECU's engine HIGH TPS mapping is. #2 sounds really interesting, have you rode on this mode yet? How does it feel if you have?

·
Registered
37 Posts
'Im interested to see how this works out. I was looking into the tuneboy set up a few months ago and they hadn't had anything for me. Since then I've spoken to ECS about having them dyno my bike etc, and I'm hoping to get at least the cruise control as well. One thing that came to mind was the fact that I saw someone on this page mention that the QS needed to be broken in. If i remember correctly my up shift took a little time to work in however, now it shifts fine all the time. Maybe the shifter just needs to figure itself out? Ill be sure to check back in here for updates

·
Super Moderator
556 Posts
I've been trying to buy this since day 1. Let us know when it's available!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just think of it as a cruise control system with extra perks :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm out for a decent ride tomorrow so will report back. Regarding one of the comments that QS need to break in, I think that's more engine / gearbox break in when new.
Pleased with the hp gain, especially a slight increase in torque down low when I expected a drop with the exhaust servo open. Tells me it was always a noise reducer more than anything else.

I've spoken with Tuneboy about the QS roughness. On paper it seems to be the best system you could imagine, with more control than the aftermarket Bazzaz units (fuel/ignition kill times controllable by rpm and hear, and by pressure of the shift, auto blip strength and duration controllable by rpm, min throttle after shift for milliseconds to smooth the transition). I think it just needs to be tuned to the bike which will take time. Wayne asked I bring the bike back in to spend a bit more time being calibrated. I don't have the harness and software so I can't do it myself. I might ask if I can. If I can't get it right I'll be fitting the OEM up shift only back on as that was excellent albeit a basic system.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wayne asked I bring the bike back in to spend a bit more time being calibrated. I don't have the harness and software so I can't do it myself. I might ask if I can. If I can't get it right I'll be fitting the OEM up shift only back on as that was excellent albeit a basic system.
Support Wayne, he's a hero. Reverse engineering that **** must have taken a while. I just wish he could reverse engineer his website to look better. lol
Old programmers being old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TuneBoy will now sell the Cruise Control module separately.
About $346 US with shipping:

Enquiry:
>Has the Cruise Control for the Ducati 959 Panigale been released yet?
>If yes, how should I indicate I am ordering the 959 version on the website?
>Thanks.

Reply:
Yes it has.
If you look on the at the Buy Now link at the top of the TuneBoy web site you can select the Panigale 959.
The kit is the same for all the Panigale models, just the map file is different.
I sent a kit to the US yesterday for the 959 and I have tuned one on our Dyno.
The only trim files I have at the moment are for the EU standard pipe (the side mount one) and AU standard pipe (under belly like old Pani models).

Thanks
Wayne Macdonald

TuneBoy Pty Ltd
PO Box 321,
Galston NSW 2159,
Australia

·
Registered
26 Posts
TuneBoy will now sell the Cruise Control module separately.
About $346 US with shipping:

Enquiry:
>Has the Cruise Control for the Ducati 959 Panigale been released yet?
>If yes, how should I indicate I am ordering the 959 version on the website?
>Thanks.

Reply:
Yes it has.
If you look on the at the Buy Now link at the top of the TuneBoy web site you can select the Panigale 959.
The kit is the same for all the Panigale models, just the map file is different.
I sent a kit to the US yesterday for the 959 and I have tuned one on our Dyno.
The only trim files I have at the moment are for the EU standard pipe (the side mount one) and AU standard pipe (under belly like old Pani models).

Thanks
Wayne Macdonald

TuneBoy Pty Ltd
PO Box 321,
Galston NSW 2159,
Australia

Sweet, mines on the way!:smile2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet, mines on the way!:smile2:
It'll be interesting to see what you think!
I've still not had the time to take the bike back in for fine tuning.

In summary,

HOT: base dyno Tirm map, stock OEM throttle mapping, cruise control, bike runs cooler (by opening exhaust valve and running fan earlier I guess, but noticed the reduction of heat on my ***!)
OK: QS Upshifting, -5% Trim map
NEEDS WORK: Auto-blip calibration, Engine Check light stuck on
NOT MY CUP OF TEA: torque based throttle maps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Can you share me trim fuel map for ducati 959 ?
What's exhaust of your bike ?

Thanks

It'll be interesting to see what you think!
I've still not had the time to take the bike back in for fine tuning.

In summary,

HOT: base dyno Tirm map, stock OEM throttle mapping, cruise control, bike runs cooler (by opening exhaust valve and running fan earlier I guess, but noticed the reduction of heat on my ***!)
OK: QS Upshifting, -5% Trim map
NEEDS WORK: Auto-blip calibration, Engine Check light stuck on
NOT MY CUP OF TEA: torque based throttle maps

1 - 20 of 79 Posts