Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 2017 959 with 2235 miles has stranded me in the middle of nowhere 3 times due to not starting after being shut down, with full, half and almost empty tank, so its not that, picked it up last week after it sat at dealership for 2 weeks, where they said they found nothing wrong!!! so I ride off and 2 miles from the dealership I am accelerating in 2nd gear, loud rattling noise comes from the bike near my left knee, pull over and shut it down found oil all over the rear cylinder, exhaust and swingarm and its idling strange and making some different noises from what is normal, now it sits back at the **** dealership, I bought it to ride, not sit in a shop... done with ducati.

· Registered
47 Posts
HOly **** you got a lot going on with your Pani, hope it all gets sorted out. Did you buy this new by any chance? What other issues did you encounter since your purchase? Just curious since I'm a new owner as well. The only issue I've had on mien so far is the dreaded coolant leak from the weeping hole, and oh, dead battery after less than 2 weeks of not being ridden (looks like this bike will need a battery tender too). But i've only had about 500 miles on it so hopefully those are the last things to go wrong on this bike haha

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I bought it new and put all 2200 miles on it, it was dealer serviced for its first service, just want to get rid of it now, still waiting to hear from the dealer what they found wrong. I even got an extended warranty but I should not be having these kind of issues on a bike this young, I have a 5 year old triumph with 17k on it that runs better and is more reliable.

· Registered
894 Posts
Sounds like something catastrophic happened.

The starting issue you could probably blame 100% on Ducati for sure, but the oil spill is not normal. Either the assembling dealer failed to complete their checks, the dealer missed something during the 600mi service, the dealer did some special service for you and messed that up when you had them check on the starting problem, or you did something. I'm sure there's a lot more to this, but an oil leak like you're explaining doesn't come randomly.

I'd agree with @Yondu about the batter tender, especially if you have more than one bike and ride the others.

Reactions: MiamiJAG

· Registered
1,948 Posts
I bought it new and put all 2200 miles on it, it was dealer serviced for its first service, just want to get rid of it now, still waiting to hear from the dealer what they found wrong. I even got an extended warranty but I should not be having these kind of issues on a bike this young, I have a 5 year old triumph with 17k on it that runs better and is more reliable.

Unless you got the first lemon I’m reading about, the dealer is likely to blame for missing something during an oil change or service. I’ve got double the miles you have and did several track days without a hiccup. Find a new dealer after they buy the bike back from you. Or perhaps the new tech who built it is to blame..? Perhaps he wasn’t supervised? Just throwing out possibilities... but don’t just write off the 959 - it’s a Tremendous Machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,948 Posts
Just talked to Ducati, turns out something let loose under the valve cover and blew a golf ball size hole in the valve cover.... wonderful, looks like a got a hold of a lemon
No lemon - clearly you know what caused it from the hole in the cover! A lemon is a "no fault found" after replacing nearly everything.
BTW... you gotta post pics of that hole!!! C'MON!!! I sure ashell know we all wanna see that!
>:)

· Registered
894 Posts
Wow, that's a sight to see.

· Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Hmmmm... interesting. Sorry to hear about this. Had a timing belt pulley come loose on my 01 Monster during a ride. Luckily it held together until I got home.

· Registered
113 Posts
Ouch! Do you know the cause of the failure?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch! Do you know the cause of the failure?
There is a decompression can on the exhaust cam that holds the exhaust valve open while starting, it came off and punched through the valve cover, also dinged the cam and sealing surface, so its getting a new head, cam and valve cover, supposed to get it back today.

· Registered
113 Posts
There is a decompression can on the exhaust cam that holds the exhaust valve open while starting, it came off and punched through the valve cover, also dinged the cam and sealing surface, so its getting a new head, cam and valve cover, supposed to get it back today.
****, understand the feeling, but hope its fixed right, and you get to enjoy your bike as most of everyone here, it has a unique and fun character.
Be safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.