Ducati 959 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some track time set for the summer, so need to pick up some track leathers.

I know the benefits for one vs two-piece, but I’m curious as to the rate of acceptability of two-piece suits at track days.

I wouldn’t be doing any official stuff. All non-competitive track days.

I already own a leather Alpinestars jacket, so I went and bought some A* leather pants to go with it that attach via zipper.

The pants weren’t cheap though, so I want to make sure I can get some decent use out of them at the track. If a lot of places don’t accept them, then I’ll return them and pick up a one-piece suit. It’s just that pants are obviously cheaper than a whole suit, so yeah...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
There's orgs that don't accept <270degree zippers (which A* has like 180 at best) and there's orgs that let monkeys on wearing 10 year old pleather. There's orgs that do brief inspections on bike tech and safety equipment that require you to show back protector and other stuff, and others that don't do anything but just oversee the general logistics.

Tough question to answer, as your questions might not be specifically answered by your track day organizers (eg. will these pants work? they'll say something like "as long as it zips all the way around and is leather") but you should really ask them (and/or any locals that ride with them).

I'd cautiously say that most track day orgs won't dig into details and if you look like you're protected, they won't question it and you'll be fine to run what you got.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hey hey!! My 2 piece leathers May be 10+ years old, but I look like a f’n champ out there!!!
Don’t sweat it, like DJ Shrug mentioned, the organizers probably won’t check how much zipper you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I sure it's different for ever organization / area, but around my area the organizations have stepped up their game considerably in terms of what they allow riders to wear. Most now have mandatory gear inspection in conjunction with the tech inspection.

As far as two piece suits go, every org has their own parameters for these rules. As mentioned above, always best to check with the organization you're going to ride with ahead of time. The less you have to worry about once you're at the track the better your day will go.

Reactions: Dingo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone.

I talked with one of the organizations I will ride with and they say it needs to be a 360 degree zipper two-piece. Didn’t know that was a thing. And then others said the same thing about anything above novice needing a one-piece.

I’m just gonna get a one-piece since I’ll need to get one eventually anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

I talked with one of the organizations I will ride with and they say it needs to be a 360 degree zipper two-piece. Didn’t know that was a thing. And then others said the same thing about anything above novice needing a one-piece.

I’m just gonna get a one-piece since I’ll need to get one eventually anyway.
A one piece really is the best choice for track riding.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Do you mean security or convenience?
I think you meant to ask safety or convenience. And yeah, safety - two-piece's zipper is likely to fail if you go down and slide at a good pace (as opposed to leather wearing down first).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you meant to ask safety or convenience. And yeah, safety - two-piece's zipper is likely to fail if you go down and slide at a good pace (as opposed to leather wearing down first).
Yes, safety. Two-piece's zippers so much unreliable?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, safety. Two-piece's zippers so much unreliable?
They're not so much unreliable, but just have a higher chance of failing due to the increase of seams/stitching at the zipper.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Do you mean security or convenience?
Both! You have much more bulk around your waist / mid-section with a two piece which comes between you and the tank. One piece suits give you a much trimmer fit all around, and are ergo cut for a more natural "tucked" riding position. Most will offer a bit more protection as well. And of course there is no chance of separation as with the two piece.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Both! You have much more bulk around your waist / mid-section with a two piece which comes between you and the tank. One piece suits give you a much trimmer fit all around, and are ergo cut for a more natural "tucked" riding position. Most will offer a bit more protection as well. And of course there is no chance of separation as with the two piece.
Well... Yes, indeed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Man I dunno. I think the seams between the leather and stretch fabrics is way more sketchy than a zipper. I've seen those go on very light offs. Besides, the whole front of a one piece is a zipper with very little leather covering it compared to the jacket pants zipper of a two piece and you never see those go. I'd like to see some real evidence that a two piece is less safe.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Man I dunno. I think the seams between the leather and stretch fabrics is way more sketchy than a zipper. I've seen those go on very light offs. Besides, the whole front of a one piece is a zipper with very little leather covering it compared to the jacket pants zipper of a two piece and you never see those go. I'd like to see some real evidence that a two piece is less safe.
Stretch panels on most suits are made of leather and have the capability of being safety stitched (leather to leather). A two piece is joined by a fabric zipper (which doesn't even fasten 100% around the waist) and typically doesn't connect leather to leather (jacket leather to jacket inner liner to zipper to pant leather).

The front zipper on a jacket or a one piece ties leather to leather and is less of an impact/slide zone of where a two piece's zipper is.

I'm not sure why you think a 1 piece suit is less protective than a 2 piece suit, but to each their own.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think a one piece is less protective (mine is a one piece) I just don't think it's that much better than a two piece. The stretch fabrics I refer to are the A*/Dainese Kevlar(ish) fabric that are all over the suits, not leather. Weakest link IME.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Got some track time set for the summer, so need to pick up some track leathers.

I know the benefits for one vs two-piece, but I’m curious as to the rate of acceptability of two-piece suits at track days. I wouldn’t be doing any official stuff. All non-competitive track days.

I already own a leather Alpinestars jacket, so I went and bought some A* leather pants to go with it that attach via zipper.

The pants weren’t cheap though, so I want to make sure I can get some decent use out of them at the track. If a lot of places don’t accept them, then I’ll return them and pick up a one-piece suit. It’s just that pants are obviously cheaper than a whole suit, so yeah...

Thanks!!
I'm in a similar situation. Purchased top-of-the-line Rev'it track pants to match the zipper of Rev'it track leather jacket I own. Updating the armor of the said jacket as well. Moreover, I just purchased Alpinestars Track Vest 2 that sports chest protectors and their newest L2 back protector. 2-pieces are not an issue with my local track but L2 protection is. Contingent on the frequency of track days going forward, I plan to update to a one-piece eventually.

Here's the Riding Gear rules at my track:

• All Riders must wear appropriate riding gear.
  • All gear must be free from tears, exposed seams, excessive wear, age or damage.
  • Leathers: Full one piece or two-piece (zip completely around) motorcycle leather suits only. NO Nylon or Kevlar only construction suits will be allowed.
  • Helmet: All riders must wear full-face helmets that are designed for motorcycle use which is free from damage. Snell 2005, or ECE-05 or newer helmet, in good condition and proper fit for the rider, is mandatory.
  • Back Protector: CE Level II or higher “hard shell” back protectors are mandatory. Foam or soft shell protectors, similar to those included in some suits, are not acceptable. Forcefield T-Pro back protectors and armour or equivalent are also acceptable.
  • Gloves: All riders must wear leather gauntlet style gloves that are in good condition with no ripped stitching or seams.
  • Boots: All riders must wear boots that extend above the ankle to approximately mid-calf.

Reactions: cavlino

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't think a one piece is less protective (mine is a one piece) I just don't think it's that much better than a two piece. The stretch fabrics I refer to are the A*/Dainese Kevlar(ish) fabric that are all over the suits, not leather. Weakest link IME.
The two piece suits are anecdotally more susceptible to failure; the zipper at the chest is holding the two front halves together, but the shoulders are bearing most of the force to keep the pant area covering your legs. The forces attempting to separate the jacket from the pants is far far greater than the force trying to open the chest zipper.

Moreover, the two piece jacket has to contend with both forces, that to keep the pants attached and to stay closed at the chest.

I have seen cases where cheaply made replica suits have quickly deteriorated, however I have not witnessed a name brand one piece, coming apart at the seams.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Here's pics of my 2 piece Dainese Max Biaggi replica jacket and black pants. I bought them together in 1997 and still use them today - this is my track gear. I took the pics to show you all how the zippers are sewn in. The jacket zipper that mates with the pants is sewn into a 2-ply stretch fabric that is sewn into the liner of the interior of the jacket - it does not meet leather except where the liner itself meets the leather. The stitching is double everywhere and it's extremely well put together. The leather is very thick, both the jacket and the pants. the jacket has armor in the shoulders and forearms/elbows that are all removable. I wear a spine protector that's pictured - it's old as well but is corrugated aluminum and made pretty well. The jacket and pants together weigh 11.4 pounds. I have no doubt this gear will save my skin and then some. I think I recall paying roughly $900 for the set. I did have matching MAX boots that deteriorated (plastic bits got brittle and broke away at the touch) and I threw away, the gloves I still have but need new palms put in if I want to use them. Do a search for Max Biaggi 1997 and you'll see the original gear this was modeled after.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts